Ex Player Marvin Johnson

He's good mates with Marcus Browne from their Middlesborough days.

I'm still not sure you'd plonk yourself right amongst the Oxford fans. Browne could have probably got him a ticket elsewhere, away from the glare of fans who'd recognise him.

I'm still not sure you'd plonk yourself right amongst the Oxford fans. Browne could have probably got him a ticket elsewhere, away from the glare of fans who'd recognise him.

I also think that if we were serious about doing a deal we would have kept him under wraps in the Directors box.

I think he'd be a great player in our current set up, and would give us options for both Brown and Browne. But sitting in with the away fans is not the traditional approach for potential transfer targets and I'm not sure that its got legs.

But who knows? Stranger things have happened!

Johnson is the best left back we've had in the Kassam era. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat. Players aren't fans, the fans need to get over that bit. They wont love Oxford United for ever more, it's a job and their livelihood - nothing more. I'd almost guarantee you that Mark Harris, for example, has an eye on a return to a higher level, whether that's with Oxford or elsewhere. Yes, Johnsons attitude waned a bit when he knew he was off but I don't think he was so disruptive that the opportunity of bringing him back is something that we shouldn't seriously consider.

Whoa there. Ricardinho!!

He's good mates with Marcus Browne from their Middlesborough days.

Well that at least gives another potential reason, although as they are such good mates maybe he fancies coming down and spending some quality time with him?

Just one thought on this, we sold Marvin Johnson in 2017 when he was 26. He's now 32 and will turn 33 in December.

Bearing in mind we laboured ourselves with a lot of 30-somethings last season and are stuck with a lot of them still here, shouldn't we be looking for someone a tad younger?

He may well still have it in him of course but I'm cautious to having too many in the squad over the age of 30.

Just one thought on this, we sold Marvin Johnson in 2017 when he was 26. He's now 32 and will turn 33 in December.

Bearing in mind we laboured ourselves with a lot of 30-somethings last season and are stuck with a lot of them still here, shouldn't we be looking for someone a tad younger?

He may well still have it in him of course but I'm cautious to having too many in the squad over the age of 30.

It would probably be a season long loan so not really a problem in that respect.

I also think that if we were serious about doing a deal we would have kept him under wraps in the Directors box.

I think he'd be a great player in our current set up, and would give us options for both Brown and Browne. But sitting in with the away fans is not the traditional approach for potential transfer targets and I'm not sure that its got legs.

But who knows? Stranger things have happened!

Yes, it's a strange one for sure and I agree that you'd have thought the club would have wanted him to act more discreetly if there's anything in it. Having said that, I imagine he's living not a million miles away from Derby and might have seen this as an opportunity to get a feel for a club he might be about to re-join.

I think we're going to see a lot more rotation around the squad than in previous seasons. Every game so far has exceeded 100 minutes, and tye multi ball system means that 'ball in play' time is also much higher.

Having McGuane and McEachran sharing the responsibilities in the deeper midfield role will hopefully bring out the best in them both. Equally Bodin and Rodrigues in the no.10 role. And there's already evidence of this.

Whether Johnson was brought in to play left wing back, or left wing, I'd see him sharing both with The Brown(e)s so we could manage his game time effectively.

Darren Moore was also at the game. Rosie was in with the away fans. Marvin was also in with us away fans last night.

It’s a definite upgrade in what we currently have, and he likes to bomb forward. So it would help us with a high press, and suffocate the opposition. I wouldn’t be against him returning, but only as a loan signing. As I don’t believe we should be signing players permanently who are over 30.

I think that they said on RO last night that Bodin was our only player older than 30 ( in the starting line up)
Derby meanwhile only has 3 to 4 younger than 30.

I think that they said on RO last night that Bodin was our only player older than 30 ( in the starting line up)
Derby meanwhile only has 3 to 4 younger than 30.
Not surprised- Derby looked like an older team. We had the legs on them pretty much all over the pitch.

He probably lives in nearby Sheffield and fancied the game.
I would think he’d command a big wage for us

I'm not at all ITK on this, but, to get a ticket in the away section means that he would have had to get it through Oxford United. Whether that's through a friend (Marcus Browne?) or directly from the club, that's the only way he would be in that section of the ground.

If he randomly fancied a game, as a professional player, he'd have had no problem getting a comp ticket through Derby, and would have been in a "better" part of the ground, with a better view, and with others involved in the game sat around him. Likewise, if we had got him "lined up" but not done, I hardly think we'd sit him in with our fans where he would 100% get noticed. Unless it's further progressed than that?

It is certainly a strange and intriguing situation though................

I'm not at all ITK on this, but, to get a ticket in the away section means that he would have had to get it through Oxford United. Whether that's through a friend (Marcus Browne?) or directly from the club, that's the only way he would be in that section of the ground.

If he randomly fancied a game, as a professional player, he'd have had no problem getting a comp ticket through Derby, and would have been in a "better" part of the ground, with a better view, and with others involved in the game sat around him. Likewise, if we had got him "lined up" but not done, I hardly think we'd sit him in with our fans where he would 100% get noticed. Unless it's further progressed than that?

It is certainly a strange and intriguing situation though................
IMG_4034.gif

I never rated Johnson as a LB when he was here. Rewatch the middlesbrough highlights (3-2, Maguire & Martinez) and 2 goals are conceded because Johnson wasn’t a natural left back. that’s only 1 game and probably one of his first in that position but i’d hope he’s improved defensively since.

With that said however, i reckon id have him back to play there.