Ex Player Marvin Johnson

If it’s possible to get him for the wages we were paying for him last season (with Middlesbrough making up the rest) then it’s a no brainer, a quality player in a position we are weak in. Rather have him a forward who will be no better than what we have, Thomas and Obika will hopefully shine with Johnsons superb delivery.

Probably not going to happen but nice if it did.

If it’s possible to get him for the wages we were paying for him last season (with Middlesbrough making up the rest) then it’s a no brainer, a quality player in a position we are weak in. Rather have him a forward who will be no better than what we have, Thomas and Obika will hopefully shine with Johnsons superb delivery.

Probably not going to happen but nice if it did.
It’s been reported that he won’t be returning

But the thing is, he won’t get any more than his current wages anyway? And it’s down to Middlesbrough not his agent what percentage of that we would pay. If his agent wants another pay day, do u think it benefits him more sat in borough reserves not playing, or playing regular here and maybe getting a few goals and assists in the sh

His agent wants paying from both Boro and us for “arranging” the deal, Johnson won’t get any extra wages due to his contract lodged with the FA. From a footballing point of view he might as well present himself as a saviour and great player to get a better move with more cash rather than sitting on his a**e doing didly squat.

His agent is Gino Culbarton who represents few players from north of the border, he tried to hold Motherwell to ransom before and it backfired, I suspect he wants his payment both ways, where he should be representing the player and his best interests.

I doubt he will come here so will just sit on his rear until he gets what he wants.

Not his agent for the move to Boro

I don’t think it will but if every thing that was reported came true we would be reinforcing the dugout seats for the arrival of Fat Frank wouldn’t we?

Frank was never in the running but there are those who post sad rumours

Much better to sign someone who is 100% committed and has pride in their individual performance.

Unlikely to happen reading between the lines but if it did would be a good short term help!!

I think I’d prefer we bring in players who are hungry and motivated to do well and most importantly want to play for Oxford United. Not some mercenary who’s just here to make a few quid for his agent and doesn’t really give a toss about us. Haven’t people been complaining that we’ve got too many of those here already?

I think I’d prefer we bring in players who are hungry and motivated to do well and most importantly want to play for Oxford United. Not some mercenary who’s just here to make a few quid for his agent and doesn’t really give a toss about us. Haven’t people been complaining that we’ve got too many of those here already?

Tend to agree, we’re unlikely to sign him permanently due to the amount Middlesbrough will want to recoup making it not worth it. So concentrate on finding the next Marvin Johnson

Tend to agree, we’re unlikely to sign him permanently due to the amount Middlesbrough will want to recoup making it not worth it. So concentrate on finding the next Marvin Johnson

Yep.. let him stew in boro reserves.. He made his bed and all that... made the move, threw a hissy fit in the process to get his way and he has failed to make the grade.

I shan’t lose any sleep and I certainly won’t make a hypocrite of myself by wanting him back.

The club is bigger than any player who thinks he was above wearing the shirt.

I agree with regards his attitude and wanting a move but there is no disputing that on his day he is a very good player. When he first arrived I thought he was the beesknee's and if he'd have scored early on.. as he should of, I reckon he'd have gone on and banged them in throughout the season (obviously being a confidence player).

So maybe we could do a Joey Beauchamp, sell for millions and get back for peanuts. C'mon Marv' the grass isn't always greener. TBF we don't have a lot to lose by bringing him back on loan and we really do miss the pace in the team since Robbie Hall got injured.

Edit: At least with 2 leftbacks on the books we'd be able to play him left wing. With Buckley-Ricketts on the the right, hopefully it'd be exciting to watch however unlikely it is to happen.

Last edited:
Give Riccy a go at left wing with Ash behind him at LB. Johnson got his stepping stone to Championship bench - leave him there. No passion for the club like Mags had, who I would have back.

Give Riccy a go at left wing with Ash behind him at LB. Johnson got his stepping stone to Championship bench - leave him there. No passion for the club like Mags had, who I would have back.
True, it would be a shame not to see Richardinho play another game for Oxford. He can be brilliant but also a liability at leftback. He maybe more suited further up the pitch. I'd still prefer to see a bit more pace on the wings mind.

True, it would be a shame not to see Richardinho play another game for Oxford. He can be brilliant but also a liability at leftback. He maybe more suited further up the pitch. I'd still prefer to see a bit more pace on the wings mind.
If Ash is quick then an overlapping combo with tricky Riccy might run the opposition full back ragged! Worth a try....

If Johnson is motivated to do well to get his career on track then that would do me, hardly any professional footballers care what club they play for so we are limiting ourselves to a very small pool if we only sign those who want to play for OUFC.

Sean Dyche said he as long as a player is motivated to do well by something, be that pride, money or whatever then that is enough for him, as he is the most over achieving manager in English football then I will go with that.

I think the fact we know about it in itself says it is unlikely to happen. Also couldn't see Marvin's ego allowing him to return!