Litter at Grenoble Road

Deanroger

Why are so many of our supporters such litter bugs? In the car park, concourses and stands many people just chuck their rubbish on the ground without a second thought. Is this the way that they will treat a brand new stadium?

This is the sort of ethical dilemma that OUSP was set up to address. You should contact them and volunteer to support the club.

These litter bug are certainly not Japanese (am assuming so).

First up ........ its people (#tossers) combined with the lack of bins.

One of my volunteering "things" is being a Womble locally.

Across social media we have 2 county wide groups with about 6,000 members.

Folk go out as solo or "organised" group picks, its a lovely social thing for all folk to get into.

Easy enough to get kit & bags from local authorities and there are apps out there to report issues and/or collections.

As we say #ebc every bag counts

And spreadsheets..... geeky spreadsheets.....

1698649666776.png

Why are so many of our supporters such litter bugs? In the car park, concourses and stands many people just chuck their rubbish on the ground without a second thought. Is this the way that they will treat a brand new stadium?
Without wanting to defend people who litter - but maybe if there were bins about it would help.

@Essexyellows Of course you don't have to join a club if you don't want to. I regularly totter back from a hike along the shoreline with loads of plastic (y)

Absolutely! #ebc

Our City Centre has 331 litter bins that are emptied at least 4 times a day because things like "bubble tea cups" and boxes for takeaway chicken etc create too much volume as the users don`t squash them before binning them .... all goes to landfill (contaminated) and all the kids and plenty of adults chirp on about being "green". 🤷‍♂️

Highest volume of tossed litter by far are "energy drinks", alcohol and smokers/vapers debris and the NOS cannisters and boxes - most of those consumers are complete #tossers

Its a generational/selfish thing sadly - society is far more disposable than when you or I were kids and there wasn`t the "takeaway" plethora that exists today. I mean water in plastic bottles ffs? Haven`t these people got taps? :rolleyes:

Yes I sound like my grandparents but its pretty true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the amount of litter has reduced, i recall the days, maybe 5 or so years of moving into the stadium, always seeing litter on the pitch flying around... And i do not mean the players of that era!

Without wanting to defend people who litter - but maybe if there were bins about it would help.
Several bins outside the Bowlplex / F&B, several more by each burger van on the corners of the south stand, plus most turnstiles have a bin attached to the wall as you enter the stadium. Anyone littering outside the stadium has walked away from or past a bin.

Like many people I’ve been attending games at the stadium for over 22 years and buy some sort of food and drink before 90% of the fixtures, including Saturday, and not once have I just chucked something on the floor.

As has been said, there are plenty of bins outside the stadium, but Saturday was a blustery day so may have contributed to some of the rubbish being blown back out of these bins.

There are also bins throughout the concourses, however these are managed by those who are also serving at the food/drink outlets so they can become fuller at busy times. But generally there are plenty of opportunities for people to clear their own rubbish.

As Ryan has said, this is mainly about people taking personal responsibility to throw away your rubbish appropriately. But sadly this isn't just about football games. As a family we make the point of collecting up all of our rubbish at the cinema and put in a bin on the way out. But it seems perfectly acceptable for others to just leave their s**t all over the floor and seats and expect others to clean up after them.

But sadly this isn't just about football games. As a family we make the point of collecting up all of our rubbish at the cinema and put in a bin on the way out. But it seems perfectly acceptable for others to just leave their s**t all over the floor and seats and expect others to clean up after them.
The worst is when people cram their rubbish in the seat tray on trains and just flip it up.

You literally walk past at least two bins when you get off the train. It is more work to squash it in the tray than it is to drop it into the bin next to the door that you cannot avoid having to use if you ever want to go home.

The reference in the opening post to the new stadium is a valid one. The project team even said that there is a more natural human response to keep new things looking new, so that issues like litter, graffiti and damage to seats etc would hopefully be reduced. However, it's sad that there are those who think that doing any if those things in the Kassam is OK because it's a shithole already.

The reference in the opening post to the new stadium is a valid one. The project team even said that there is a more natural human response to keep new things looking new, so that issues like litter, graffiti and damage to seats etc would hopefully be reduced. However, it's sad that there are those who think that doing any if those things in the Kassam is OK because it's a shithole already.
Even at the Kassam I hate it that people leave their food and drink containers behind without taking them to the bins. That's said the amount of bins is abysmal in the north stand

Back
Top Bottom