Ex Player Last Pick in PE XI

Can’t believe Mike Salmon hasn’t had a mention. One game in goal, let in seven, retired a couple of days later. When you have such a bad game that you immediately retire, that’s got to be worth something.

EDIT: Apparently he was registered to Ipswich a year after his loan with us, but he didn’t make an appearance. I definitely remember him going straight back to Charlton after his one game for us and saying he wouldn’t play again.
I don’t really remember him having a mare as such, just not coming for crosses and being helpless against a lot of shots and headers

Can’t believe Mike Salmon hasn’t had a mention. One game in goal, let in seven, retired a couple of days later. When you have such a bad game that you immediately retire, that’s got to be worth something.

No mention...??

He's the #1 in the Last Picked XI! (see page 1)

John McGuckin takes some beating. He was utterly horrendous

Lee Jarman, his Partner was as bad.

His 1st name was Ian (McGuckin) and I'm sure I heard we were scouting him but signed his partner instead, Phil Gilchrist.

To be fair to McGuckin, he had a really bad injury when at Fulham which he never recovered from, I don't think Jarman had the same excuse though (could be wrong though on the injury front).

My vote would go to Guy Whittingham as one of the worst strikers that we have ever had.

I seem to have made a right c*** up with Guy Whittingham. I have obviously got him mixed up with someone else but I can't think who!!! Old age is a wonderful thing!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: m
I seem to have made a right c*** up with Guy Whittingham. I have obviously got him mixed up with someone else but I can't think who!!! Old age is a wonderful thing!!!!

The other short term mid 90s striker I can think of who was good elsewhere but unspectacular with us is Marco Gabbiadini.

That him?

Wayne Biggins had a pretty decent record before coming here too.

I’m not suggesting he was one of the worst players to play for us ability wise, but with regards a player I detest then Dave Kitson is up there.
Can’t stand the bloke. Terrible attitude and thought he was too good for us.

Courtney Pitt has sealed the first winger's spot. Second winger poll has just gone live Sadly, Twitter only allows for 4 choices so we've had to narrow down and do a bit of a random name generator to get our choices. I think there will be a clear winner though!
Haldane was ok, two of them hardly played, but the Man City guy was feeble

I’m not suggesting he was one of the worst players to play for us ability wise, but with regards a player I detest then Dave Kitson is up there.
Can’t stand the bloke. Terrible attitude and thought he was too good for us.

There’s a whole separate category within ‘worst ever players’ we can file the likes of Dave Kitson - ‘disruptive tosspots’.

They’re the ones who mess up good squads, play within themselves or for themselves and generally have a poor rapport with fans. Never the worst ability wise but certainly ones that are more trouble than they’re worth.

Dean Morgan I’d put in there too. You could even stretch to Nigel Jemson as well.

There’s a whole separate category within ‘worst ever players’ we can file the likes of Dave Kitson - ‘disruptive tosspots’.

They’re the ones who mess up good squads, play within themselves or for themselves and generally have a poor rapport with fans. Never the worst ability wise but certainly ones that are more trouble than they’re worth.

Dean Morgan I’d put in there too. You could even stretch to Nigel Jemson as well.

I'd add Dean Windass after his "efforts" in his final game.

We spent a shed load on 2 players from Brentford (Rob Quinn and Andy Scott), think that was the same season, or was it the year before?

I think it was the case of “you buy one, you get one free”. Still trying to work out who the free one was as they were both so bad!

Courtney Pitt has sealed the first winger's spot. Second winger poll has just gone live Sadly, Twitter only allows for 4 choices so we've had to narrow down and do a bit of a random name generator to get our choices. I think there will be a clear winner though!

Oh, the orange bloke shouldn't be in with those other three, he wasn't bad.

The other short term mid 90s striker I can think of who was good elsewhere but unspectacular with us is Marco Gabbiadini.

That him?

When he left the mackems for Crystal Palace (iirc) he became the first subject of a joke we all must have heard:
Marco's debut
Steve Coppell - "Marco, have a good old go for it in the first half and I'll pull you off at half time."
Marco G - "Eee, thanks Mr Coppell. All I ever got at Sunderland was to suck on half an orange."

Alex "I don't applaud the away fans" Jeannin would also sneak in here as well. Disruptive and sh*te to boot.
And then we have Bananaman Alsop of course!

And then we have Bananaman Alsop of course!

That was an event I'd just about forgotten about, so thanks for dredging up that memory!?!

But you could probably add his victim, Craig Davies, to the list. Talented player, just a bit of a prat.

The only problem with the disruptive tosspot XI, is that we'd probably have to play about seven up front......it's always the strikers that turn out to be the problem children. Honestly struggling to think of a goalkeeper we've had that's been a bad influence (plenty that have been bad players - just none that have brought the team down with their personalities, just their abilities...…and while someone like Billy Turley certainly had his off-the-field issues, I don't think he was ever anything less than an excellent teammate between the sticks)

Wonder if there's a criminal XI that can be done. Turley, Chapman, Xemi, to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom