Ex Player Last Pick in PE XI

Absolute no brainer on the manager for me. Mr Graham Rix. Took a steady functional team from top 3 to missing the playoffs, spunked all his budget on two strikers so we had to pad the rest of the squad with the likes of Dave Woozley, Terry Parker, Mark E'Beyer, Danny Morgan. Some truly horrific results 6-1 at Yeovil stands out.

Irrelevant of his personal character, he was chod.
David Kemp. No contest. Created the worst 'team' I have ever seen at OUFC. Bar none. Far, far worse than the team that took us out of the League. Disorganised, unfit, shambolic. Comedy pairing of McGuckin & Jarman in defence. Let in 100+ goals as we went down from L1.

David Kemp. No contest. Created the worst 'team' I have ever seen at OUFC. Bar none. Far, far worse than the team that took us out of the League. Disorganised, unfit, shambolic. Comedy pairing of McGuckin & Jarman in defence. Let in 100+ goals as we went down from L1.

The most unforgivable aspect of Kemp's team was that he bought players. Rix scraped together a "team" from free transfers but Kemp paid money for Wayne Hatswell, Rob Quinn and Andy Scott!

However, Jarman and McGuckin were signed by Denis Smith

The most unforgivable aspect of Kemp's team was that he bought players. Rix scraped together a "team" from free transfers but Kemp paid money for Wayne Hatswell, Rob Quinn and Andy Scott!

However, Jarman and McGuckin were signed by Denis Smith
Are you sure? Denis Smith generally signed players who at least looked like athletes. McGuckin had a knee injuries, from what I remember, and couldn't run properly. Jarman was just fat. And useless. They both made Tiendalli look like Beckenbauer.

Are you sure? Denis Smith generally signed players who at least looked like athletes. McGuckin had a knee injuries, from what I remember, and couldn't run properly. Jarman was just fat. And useless. They both made Tiendalli look like Beckenbauer.
I do remember Kemp giving a surreal interview on RadOx where he said that he wished our keeper had been shot, rather than injured.

Yup. That summer Denis Smith signed:

Richard Knight (permanent after loan)
John Robertson
Manny Omoyinmi
Ian McGuckin
Lee Jarman
Jon Richardson
Jimmy Glass
Mike Ford

No wonder he was sacked in October!

Couple of players from the 90's who don't really stand out for me - Sean Reck and Phil Heath. Reck only played a handful of times, but Heath had quite a few games and yet I don't really remember him. Was he any good?

Couple of players from the 90's who don't really stand out for me - Sean Reck and Phil Heath. Reck only played a handful of times, but Heath had quite a few games and yet I don't really remember him. Was he any good?
Reck had huge potential, but if memory serves, was literally thrown in at the deep end, had a nightmare v the bin dippers at Anfield ( we were battered that match) , his confidence took a serious knock that day, which he never seemed to recover from?

Though, as per, my memory aint what it was these days

Last edited:

Phil Heath was ok. There were far better players but then there were far worse as well.

Heath was a reasonable winger, don’t forget we were playing at a high level. He seemed to drop out of football after leaving us so may have had a long term injury

Yup. That summer Denis Smith signed:

Richard Knight (permanent after loan)
John Robertson
Manny Omoyinmi
Ian McGuckin
Lee Jarman
Jon Richardson
Jimmy Glass
Mike Ford

No wonder he was sacked in October!

This is the often forgotten factor of the beginning to end disaster that was 2000-01. Denis Smith had kept Oxford up the season before but was one of the complicit parties in taking us down. He admitted in his autobiography that he got it hopelessly wrong. Thats not to absolve Kemp from blame and his splurging of money on ordinary players when the team was essentially down by Christmas, but Smith put together a lot of that team.

GUK has it right on managers though. Rix wins it hands down. Kemp inherited crap and made it no better. Rix inherited a side that was wobbling but still in the automatic places and took them out of it. Had we not got shot of him and Diaz steadied us, relegation would have been on for 2004-05. Who’d have thought we’d only have to wait for that a season later ...

For the ‘last picked in PE’ XI, any number of Talbot’s desperate striker choices will do ...

This is the often forgotten factor of the beginning to end disaster that was 2000-01. Denis Smith had kept Oxford up the season before but was one of the complicit parties in taking us down. He admitted in his autobiography that he got it hopelessly wrong. Thats not to absolve Kemp from blame and his splurging of money on ordinary players when the team was essentially down by Christmas, but Smith put together a lot of that team.

Many of those signings was trying to plug holes in the team with cheap players after Shotton had brought in players on massive (for us) contracts the previous year or so. Players like Tait, Anthrobus, Francis, Fear, Lilley (although he left under Smith) and Arendse.

Jarman was initially signed on a month-to-month, so pretty obviously a panic (and cheap) signing.

Joe Burnell?

I had to look him up, and I still don't remember him.

Peter Fear, all day every day. Should be captain of the 'Last Pick XI'. He was that bad for us.
(although, to be fair, Rob Wolleaston was also dreadful...….)

Probably pair him with Xemi.

Peter Fear, all day every day. Should be captain of the 'Last Pick XI'. He was that bad for us.
(although, to be fair, Rob Wolleaston was also dreadful...….)

Probably pair him with Xemi.

Back in the 90's me and my dad did The Sun Fantasy Football, one of the first years before it became really popular.
If you finished top of the monthly standings you won a couple of hundred quid if I recall (think it's a lot more now).
That year, you got -3 points if a player didn't play.
Peter Fear started for Wimbledon, had a mare and got dropped for the next four games (-12).
I finished 11 points off the top that month and never got a sniff again.
So in conclusion, f*ck Peter Fear!

Back
Top Bottom