Ex Player Last Pick in PE XI

What did Xemi do? He skived off to watch Barcelona?
Thought he was training to become - like his two brothers - a medical doctor, maybe that's a crime? As someone wrote on Twitter when he left the club, 'Good luck Xemi, don't worry, the World doesn't need any more footballers but it does need more doctors'.

Mehdi Kerrouche was awful, came on a months loan from the Scum.
I'll second that. After watching Oxford since 1966 I've seen some right crap and he's at the top of my list. Plus he was a Sc*mmer! Most recently, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts or Rickety-Buckets as I used to call him was someone mugging a living as a footballer. Both I believe currently without a club, there's a surprise.

Buckley-Ricketts currently has 80% of the vote for the second winger spot.

On Sunday's recording, we'll be starting to look at central midfielders. Already seen a few suggestions on here but happy to hear some more!
Go!

There were many through the conference years that came and disappeared within a couple of months. Most I've probably subconsciously banished from my memory, but one I can recall is Michael Standing. Whether he was particularly bad or not I can't honestly remember, but googling him brought up this Oxford Mail article from August 2007. Read this and weep:

"Oxford United's new midfielder, Michael Standing, says he has a massive point to prove this season.

As the U's prepare for tomorrow's opening Blue Square Premier fixture at home to Forest Green Rovers, former Brighton, Aston Villa and Walsall player Standing appears one of only half a dozen who seem certain of their starting places.

He is the team's most creative central midfielder and will be the one, along with left wingback Alex Jeannin, who seems best equipped to lay on the chances for United's strikers."

F*ck me.

There were many through the conference years that came and disappeared within a couple of months. Most I've probably subconsciously banished from my memory, but one I can recall is Michael Standing. Whether he was particularly bad or not I can't honestly remember, but googling him brought up this Oxford Mail article from August 2007. Read this and weep:

"Oxford United's new midfielder, Michael Standing, says he has a massive point to prove this season.

As the U's prepare for tomorrow's opening Blue Square Premier fixture at home to Forest Green Rovers, former Brighton, Aston Villa and Walsall player Standing appears one of only half a dozen who seem certain of their starting places.

He is the team's most creative central midfielder and will be the one, along with left wingback Alex Jeannin, who seems best equipped to lay on the chances for United's strikers."

F*ck me.

Horrific.

The last sentence in that article is truly chilling though:

"And although new team captain Barry Quinn is certain to play, there is strong competition for the centre back positions either side of him."

Reading this got me thinking of who the manager would be - we could put forward a huge back room team of the inept. I remembered Brian Talbot. Shudder. I remember once defending him on TiU early in his days, because he was at least honest about how shite we were. I wrongly thought that might mean he had a chance of fixing it!

Reading this got me thinking of who the manager would be - we could put forward a huge back room team of the inept. I remembered Brian Talbot. Shudder. I remember once defending him on TiU early in his days, because he was at least honest about how shite we were. I wrongly thought that might mean he had a chance of fixing it!
I share your shame...not with Brian Talbot, but with Darren Patterson who I stuck up for on here[emoji15]

David Kemp has to be up there simply for being manager that oversaw such a disastrous season. Mind you Joe Kinnear was worse than useless whilst here (whatever his role was) took an instant dislike to him when he walked through the Manor Club one Saturday almost expecting people to throw rose petals in his path[emoji1787]

I share your shame...not with Brian Talbot, but with Darren Patterson who I stuck up for on here[emoji15]

David Kemp has to be up there simply for being manager that oversaw such a disastrous season. Mind you Joe Kinnear was worse than useless whilst here (whatever his role was) took an instant dislike to him when he walked through the Manor Club one Saturday almost expecting people to throw rose petals in his path[emoji1787]
I've said it before and happy to say it again .... I firmly believe that Darren would have kept us up. The problem, very sadly, was Jim Smith bringing in a load of sub-standard Portsmouth reserves.

Absolute no brainer on the manager for me. Mr Graham Rix. Took a steady functional team from top 3 to missing the playoffs, spunked all his budget on two strikers so we had to pad the rest of the squad with the likes of Dave Woozley, Terry Parker, Mark E'Beyer, Danny Morgan. Some truly horrific results 6-1 at Yeovil stands out.

Irrelevant of his personal character, he was chod.

I've said it before and happy to say it again .... I firmly believe that Darren would have kept us up. The problem, very sadly, was Jim Smith bringing in a load of sub-standard Portsmouth reserves.
Patto would definitely have kept us up. He’d steadied us and was getting results. We would’ve cobbled together enough to keep our place quite comfortably. Unfortunately as much as most of us rightly love him, and as happy as we were at the time and as amazing as that debut win against Posh felt, Jim was just a hopelessly out of touch dinosaur who was nowhere near equipped for what L2 football was. Thought that just getting some Portsmouth reserve players in would mean they were the best players on the pitch and it ruined us. N’Toya was the exception (basically the only signing not from Portsmouth wasn’t he?) but overall, the great man ended up putting us down when we were floating to safety.

If there were a poll for the worst free-kick.... At the same time was Matt Day, who was a little overweight but scored some screamers from way out.

Bloody hell, I forgot about Matt Day. I can't say thanks either for reminding me of him again either. :confused:

Oh and I like the section showing similar threads which for me is "Smith going back to plastics" which is very apt. ?

Back
Top Bottom