Ex Player Kyle Joseph

I think this is the really important point. Under KR, we have generally looked great when teams sit off us and allow us to play, but equally have looked unable to respond to teams that press high and pack the midfield. Part of their being able to do so is because, in MT, we haven’t had a striker who was able to stretch a defence, so defensive lines could push up and restrict the space.

The transfer window was obviously overall probably not a success, but I think there was something of a coherent logic in bringing in the likes of Joseph, Murphy and Wildschutt, to add to Browne, to stretch defences and create space for a midfield of Brannagan, MM and Bate to dominate play.

That said, Joseph’s goals have come against Morecambe, Burton and a L2 side that had made a load of changes. With all due respect to those sides, it will be interesting to see how he fares against the division’s better sides.

We'll find out on Saturday when we play Shrewsbury*.

*Courtesy of Kip. :)

Well, I for one am delighted with this signing.

I think he has done exactly what has been asked of him in terms of both workrate and physicality - with some real moments of quality chucked in (goals at Exeter, Pompey).

Suffered unfair criticism, especially considering he has been - for large parts - our sole striker and only outlet. Much like Brown, he was supposed to be another 'option' for the squad, but has instead become an integral part of the side and one of the few plusses from this season.

Think there is plenty more to come to from the lad too.

Well done Kyle.

I think he has done exactly what has been asked of him in terms of both workrate and physicality - with some real moments of quality chucked in (goals at Exeter, Pompey).

Suffered unfair criticism, especially considering he has been - for large parts - our sole striker and only outlet. Much like Brown, he was supposed to be another 'option' for the squad, but has instead become an integral part of the side and one of the few plusses from this season.

Well done Kyle.
Well said, he still is learning and hopefully he can learn with us and keep doing what he’s doing

Well done Kyle.

I too think he's been an excellent signing. People quickly referenced his alleged wages but I think he's been a very good young player, is a goal threat, works exceptionally hard. In fact, I'd go further and say he's been undervalued in some quarters.

He will go onto become a very good player, playing at Championship level. Reminds me of Ashley Barnes and Jordan Rhodes, good loans at Oxford, went onto better things.

I too think he's been an excellent signing. People quickly referenced his alleged wages but I think he's been a very good young player, is a goal threat, works exceptionally hard. In fact, I'd go further and say he's been undervalued in some quarters.

He will go onto become a very good player, playing at Championship level. Reminds me of Ashley Barnes and Jordan Rhodes, good loans at Oxford, went onto better things.
Jury was out for me but I think playing regularly band a year older than when he was at Cheltenham he has gained some more experience but will gain more with us and become a regular goal scorer whether that he with Taylor or O’Donker.

He works hard, and I really like his attitude, but not right for me at the moment.

Last edited:
His work rate is great; he makes good, intelligent runs; he has decent pace, size and strength and he's capable of a good finish.

The only question mark around him, for me, is his skill level. I don't think he has great close control or passing touch, which means that when the ball is pinged into him, it's a bit hit or miss whether he's going to retain possession and/or get the layoff to our other forwards right.

As such, I think he's actually much better when played in the wide forward position rather than the central striker. If he can just run the channels and concentrate on getting into good scoring positions, he's a massively better player than when he has to act as a target man. So GOD needs to be in the side until one of our experienced strikers is ready to go......

He’s really grown on me particularly in October’s games. His goal at Portsmouth was premier league standard and up until then I felt he was industrious (fully commendable) but had lacked that bit of class/quality.

He does tend to snatch at chances and still a bit clumsy when the ball is played in to him but you can see he’s getting better every week and he runs as though every game is his last. There’s a lot of personality in his game and if Swansea were willing to sell, I’d have him here permanently in a heartbeat.

Super signing for us.

What a valuable asset he’s turning out to be. I questioned his technical skills early on but jeez has he come on! Constant thorn in the side to them and also today the number of flick on headers he won, add in his phenomenal work rate and he’ll just get better and better.

How bad was that injury?
He will be badly missed

Looked like his leg got planted in to the ground and his body went another way.

Could be a bad one.

Personally don’t think the challenge was that bad & Moore done one similar 2nd half for us.

Feel for the lad. It’s one injury that we can’t lay at KR’s door.

What we can do however is rightfully criticise him for his choice of old crocked back ups instead. Lose Joseph and we should have a ready made replacement to come in. We don’t really. A lot now falls on the shoulders of a declining Taylor and a green O’Donkor.