KR interviews

It's starting to get a bit boring now how people keep going on about how great Appleton was the best manager ever. Yes he was good, yes he turned our club around but it took him a while to do! His first season was average at best and it took him 3 transfer windows to put the side together that got us out of that league.
Our first season back in League 1 was not plain sailing either. We started off very slowly that season and at times it looked like he was struggling to adapt to the higher standard. He then left because he didn't get the budget he wanted, a budget that was more than good enough to get into the play offs at least.
I can see what KR is trying to do and I can see why he has had to bring in a lot of loan signings initially as to turn around a whole squad of players is a hard task. It usually takes 2 or 3 transfer windows to do. I'll be happy to finish mid table this season and expect us to be pushing for the play offs next season.
KR is passionate and says what he is feeling at the time. I really cant see why fans have a problem with a manager who seems to care, if not too much, about bringing some success to this football club.

It's starting to get a bit boring now how people keep going on about how great Appleton was the best manager ever. Yes he was good, yes he turned our club around but it took him a while to do! His first season was average at best and it took him 3 transfer windows to put the side together that got us out of that league.
Our first season back in League 1 was not plain sailing either. We started off very slowly that season and at times it looked like he was struggling to adapt to the higher standard. He then left because he didn't get the budget he wanted, a budget that was more than good enough to get into the play offs at least.
I can see what KR is trying to do and I can see why he has had to bring in a lot of loan signings initially as to turn around a whole squad of players is a hard task. It usually takes 2 or 3 transfer windows to do. I'll be happy to finish mid table this season and expect us to be pushing for the play offs next season.
KR is passionate and says what he is feeling at the time. I really cant see why fans have a problem with a manager who seems to care, if not too much, about bringing some success to this football club.

I don't have a problem with a manager who seems to care, that is a very commendable trait. I do have a problem with his communication skills and his sometimes inconsistent/incoherent delivery of his 'care'. He's had how many yellow cards? He's made claims he's had to go backwards on, and now he's talking about giving Eastwood the captain's armband when he returns from injury having changed captains only last week. To say he's reactive is an understatement. That said, he seems to be slowly changing things on the performance front which is very good.
Me thinks he needs to 'caaaaalm down'

It is also frustrating though when people start decrying what Appleton achieved as though that somehow will make KR a better manager.

MA had no opportunity to prepare for his first season as he arrived when the transfer window was virtually over and he had a desperate first season of ‘make do and mend’ with all kinds of loans, some of which were great, some of which were truly awful. He then had a first full summer window in 2015, after which he built a team which was promoted to League 1 and reached the final of the Football League Trophy. In his first League 1 season, he achieved 8th, just outside the Play off’s and reached the final of the Football League Trophy again. He also generated huge cash inflows for the club by identifying future prospects.

MA was pretty clear as to why he was leaving which was the opportunity to be part of a Premier League management team with his mate: “I have been very happy at Oxford, and would squash any ill-informed speculation that my move has anything to do with the playing budget I'd been allocated, or any uncertainty around the club's ownership. This could not be further from the truth. The opportunity to move to a Premier League club was something I felt that I couldn't turn down, which I hope fans will appreciate.”

KR has to make his own history and he will be judged by whether or not he succeeds in what he does, irrespective of whatever MA may or may not have achieved. He has brought in some exciting players, encouraged some of the younger players to develop and I can see how he could succeed when they are all fit and he gets the rub of the green but I am not reassured by the way in which he fires off without any apparent thought or reflexion in his post match interviews and I don’t see how his constant disciplinary problems are actually helping matters.

The main criticism of KR is how he conducts himself after the game in the interview. The start of many of his interviews is nothing more than a rant about the referee. This isn't about games won, player development, etc. It's about his DNA and the DNA he wants in his team and most importantly, how he communicates this in an after match interview. There have been a couple of occasions when he's been so wound up that I struggle to understand his rant. We want to hear his thoughts on the game, how the players performed, how he might make improvements to the team, but what we get is a rant about the refereeing - and both teams have had to deal with the ref making the occasional (or not so occasional) mistake...

He perhaps needs some coaching in public speaking.

What does bother me about Robinson is the way he criticises referees after every game more or less saying they cost us the poins In many cases he should look at the way he has set up the team and even then individual errors or snatching at chances could cost us.
He has also promised big signings in January.Didnt he promise big signings in the summer?
Having said all this the board should give him until the end of November which would give us a month before the January window opens and time to get a new man in if we haven't turned things around by then.

It is also frustrating though when people start decrying what Appleton achieved as though that somehow will make KR a better manager.

MA had no opportunity to prepare for his first season as he arrived when the transfer window was virtually over and he had a desperate first season of ‘make do and mend’ with all kinds of loans, some of which were great, some of which were truly awful. He then had a first full summer window in 2015, after which he built a team which was promoted to League 1 and reached the final of the Football League Trophy. In his first League 1 season, he achieved 8th, just outside the Play off’s and reached the final of the Football League Trophy again. He also generated huge cash inflows for the club by identifying future prospects.

MA was pretty clear as to why he was leaving which was the opportunity to be part of a Premier League management team with his mate: “I have been very happy at Oxford, and would squash any ill-informed speculation that my move has anything to do with the playing budget I'd been allocated, or any uncertainty around the club's ownership. This could not be further from the truth. The opportunity to move to a Premier League club was something I felt that I couldn't turn down, which I hope fans will appreciate.”

KR has to make his own history and he will be judged by whether or not he succeeds in what he does, irrespective of whatever MA may or may not have achieved. He has brought in some exciting players, encouraged some of the younger players to develop and I can see how he could succeed when they are all fit and he gets the rub of the green but I am not reassured by the way in which he fires off without any apparent thought or reflexion in his post match interviews and I don’t see how his constant disciplinary problems are actually helping matters.
I'm not sure anyone is decrying what MApp achieved, but let's not forget that many were calling for his head after a few months and he had to adapt his style of play to fit with the team he had. And the likes of Baldock and Roofe came in on loan to get us playing the way MApp wanted. Fast forward 4 years and KR is getting ripped apart for struggling with results and having brought in players on. There are glimmers of hope with the way we play at times and patience is needed rather than knee-jerk reactions now as much as it was with MApp. Hopefully the two can have similar successes which is what we all want.

First of all I’ll say this, I’m not a particular fan of Robinson as things stand. The summer might not have been easy for him - training ground issues, squad building etc - but there’s definitely an argument that he made huge mistakes with his recruitment strategy. If I found out that he’d been relieved of his duties would I be that bothered? Hand on heart I’d have to say I wouldn’t lose much sleep as things stand although I’d never wish anybody to lose their job

However, I do wonder if there’s a little bit of North/South snobbery involved with regards to the interview issues. Hand on heart I have to say I’m not a fan of the scouse accent st the best of times so I wonder if this is having an influence on the way it’s annoying people? To be honest I’d rather we had a manager who showed his passion and it’s been mentioned on here by more than one person that the work he does at the club is phenomenal. He’ll stand or fall by his results on the pitch, not by how he talks to the media, no matter how annoying that may be.

His accent is irrelevant to me, as is the North/south snobbery you mention.

Let’s not forget Michael Appleton is from the North.

The main different between the two though, is the content.

MA was always thoughtful and considered his responses and came across very well and was almost always spot on with what he said.

I think what annoys people is the way that KR doesn’t ever take responsibility for the poor results, every interview I have heard so far has been him blaming someone else or an incident for the loss.

I understand that there may have been things which could be considered as unlucky but we all know those things do even themselves out. If you are losing because you’ve been unlucky every week then there is something else wrong which needs addressing rather than dismissing as bad fortune.

Until he starts to speak more modestly rather than “I’m good at what I do” type comments after another loss he will continue to get people frustrated.

On the subject of whether I’d like him to remain manager, barely.

The next three or four games will be key to this, failure to win atleast two and he will have to go, If the poor form goes on any longer than It has already staying up, especially with the additional relegation place in league 1 will become increasingly tough.

So far, despite an ok result at the weekend, there hasn’t been much to suggest that things are about to change dramatically in regards to results with the current management team in place.

Nothing has improved from last season.

MA was always thoughtful and considered his responses and came across very well and was almost always spot on with what he said.

Again, we are over romancing the tenure of MApp. In the early days when results were not coming MApp frequently came across as arrogant and insisting that he knew best. He famously stated that Plan B was to go back to Plan A and was constantly tinkering with the team. When the chips were down MApp was almost exactly the same as KR.

In fact, name me a manager that doesn't moan when beaten? Fergie is widely seen as the greatest manager of all time, but how many times did he admit mistakes rather than bemoan bad refereeing or bad luck? Mourinho? Did he not tell the world how great he was after Man Utd got spanked by Spurs?

Far too many people get too precious about every word spoken by anyone associated with the club rather than having a little perspective.

I do think KR speaks to the media too quickly after games when he is clearly still in the moment, thus he can come across badly. We've had some shocking Refs this season, but I think KR could learn from MAPPs comments about Refs where we all knew what he was thinking, but it was said in such a manner that the clowns in the FA couldn't punish him for it.

In the same regard, some of our loyal fans need to be less precious when the manager doesn't come across well.

I have stopped listening to KRs post-match interviews. They don't really offer any insight and frankly are all over the place. It is true that it doesn't matter what he says on a local radio station for five minutes - it is the modern equivalent of tomorrow's chip paper. What does matter though is if he is quite so emotive, inconsistent and scattergun in other areas of his work. We know he is like that on the touchline - we can all see it. What if he is like that in training? Or in meetings with potential players? Or Tiger? Of course - we have no way of knowing. He may be calm and considered in other situations and just gets over excited on match days - I certainly hope that is so.

Far too many people get too precious about every word spoken by anyone associated with the club rather than having a little perspective.

Same as it ever was. Embarrassing really.

When does a manager ever say they got it wrong in public as much as we would like...KR has been managing for over 10 years and doubt if he will change footy character and personality now..though he is still pretty young and even younger than my own son which makes us both wince!:)

I think what annoys people is the way that KR doesn’t ever take responsibility for the poor results, every interview I have heard so far has been him blaming someone else or an incident for the loss.

I understand that there may have been things which could be considered as unlucky but we all know those things do even themselves out. If you are losing because you’ve been unlucky every week then there is something else wrong which needs addressing rather than dismissing as bad fortune.

Until he starts to speak more modestly rather than “I’m good at what I do” type comments after another loss he will continue to get people frustrated.

The next three or four games will be key to this, failure to win atleast two and he will have to go, If the poor form goes on any longer than It has already staying up, especially with the additional relegation place in league 1 will become increasingly tough.

So far, despite an ok result at the weekend, there hasn’t been much to suggest that things are about to change dramatically in regards to results with the current management team in place.

I have stopped listening to KRs post-match interviews. They don't really offer any insight and frankly are all over the place. It is true that it doesn't matter what he says on a local radio station for five minutes - it is the modern equivalent of tomorrow's chip paper. What does matter though is if he is quite so emotive, inconsistent and scattergun in other areas of his work. We know he is like that on the touchline - we can all see it. What if he is like that in training? Or in meetings with potential players? Or Tiger? Of course - we have no way of knowing. He may be calm and considered in other situations and just gets over excited on match days - I certainly hope that is so.

We have no way of knowing for sure, but you'd think if he just had the one emotional gear then this may have raised flags at the interview stage!

Additional relegation place in League 1 ????? What is this?????

Of course - we have no way of knowing. He may be calm and considered in other situations and just gets over excited on match days - I certainly hope that is so.

I hope that your hope triumphs over my expectations.

Two more gems last night:

1) 'We should have had a penalty when their goalie flattened one of my defenders' - really, not one player appealed nor indeed one fan for this and it happened right in front of the East Stand

2) 'We didn't practice corners because we didn't think we were going to get any' - what! Any opportunity we were likely to get was going to be from a set piece or corner.....we were hardly likely to cut them open through the channels.

Back
Top Bottom