Manager/Coach Jim Smith RIP

RIP Jim Smith, a true Oxford legend.

A sad day, he was the manager when I was a school boy at Woodfarm primary and responsible for the rise in Oxford kits seen at that school, he put us on the map. Walked over the road to the pub when I heard and had a pint in his honour.

A lot of minute silences can feel a bit hollow but the one for the bald eagle is going to be a bit of a choker.

Now that there kids is a legend!
A very sad day indeed.
RIP

RIP I remember him tramping around the side of the pitch at AFC Sudbury with wellies on as it was so muddy. [edit] his last win as a manager 2-0 Jamie Guy. Next match was 1-1 Stevenage before Wilder took charge.

Last edited:
RIP. A true Legend. Thank you for the many wonderful memories.

Some chants of "Jim Smith's yellow army" (or some such) and "You should have stayed at the Manor" would be good at MK Dons with a minute's silence Vs Man City.

There aren't really any more words to be said. A fitting tribute would be to fly a real bald eagle around the stadium before the Man City game.

Bless you Jim for the glorious memories.

Harry Redknapp gave him a mention at a recent evening at the New Theatre and said that sadly Jim was really not well. A true legend and clearly loved and respected throughout the football community,

Thoughts with his family at such a sad time.

RIP.

RIP Jim you’ll never be forgotten.

ELcy6NjXkAAzUNL

A man who really should have a statue outside our club with Maurice Evans alongside him.

A big loss for football and a unique part of the footballing world that’s OUFC.

Hopefully outside a new stadium, not sure he’d be enamoured being outside the Kassam, especially after the shenanigans he probably had with Kassam as part of the consortium negotiations which he was part of.

Could be wrong though.

Just seen this, such sad news. Those years he gave us were amazing, thanks for the memories Jim RIP.

Thanks for the memories Jim.

This is one of those rare instances when the word legend really does mean just that. A lot of people have contributed to making Oxford United the great football club it is but has anyone else really had the impact Jim Smith had ? Others have lasted longer at the club but I often think about those early and mid 80’s as an Oxford fan and the fact I look back so fondly nearly 40 years later is down to one man.

RIP

Very sad day. - sleep tight & hope to have a glass of red wine with you when we meet in the bar "upstairs".

RIP Jim, I shed a tear earlier when I saw he had passed. But what a man and what a vibrant life he lead - one of those old school guys in football that we'll never see again.

I'll be at MK on Saturday,.feel free to join me in a minutes applause at 79 minutes and a rousing chorus of YS

Back
Top Bottom