Manager/Coach Jim Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big north stand surfer across the divide to cover both fans. Get it planned In Advance and they’ll be no probs getting it sorted and funded.

Maybe the ultras could do Jim and both clubs proud by coming up with a design that will recognise the work Jim did for both clubs. Donations would come flying in. Do it for Jim, lads... x
Excellent idea Junior.I'm sure the Pompey fans would be up for it.

Guest of honour this Saturday, along with fellow 60s OUFC veteran Colin Booth
Yes Sarge. Colin Booth was our main striker when I started going regularly as a nipper. Held the record (23) for goals in a FL season until John Aldridge broke it. Sadly an old injury caught up with him so we only had one season from him. Happy days!

I wish Jim well, a true legend of Oxford Utd

Why are none of our stands named? We always bang on about making it more ‘homely’ yet we continue with East/South/North stands. Let’s get the ball rolling...

I wish Jim well, a true legend of Oxford Utd

Why are none of our stands named? We always bang on about making it more ‘homely’ yet we continue with East/South/North stands. Let’s get the ball rolling...
Agree with you @Bacon ..... though as 'we' are tenants at the breeze block, any naming of stands is (probably) only open to the owner .

Hopefully there may be changes in the not too distant future regard stadium ownership/ or a new stadium?

Agree with you @Bacon ..... though as 'we' are tenants at the breeze block, any naming of stands is (probably) only open to the owner .

Hopefully there may be changes in the not too distant future regard stadium ownership/ or a new stadium?
To be fair we can call them what we want...

From now on, the North Stand shall be know as "The Peter Hucker Sliced Clearance Stand".

But which stand shall claim the name for the Facilities of The Kassam Khazi. Having had to pop in to see the Vicar in all 3 stands it's a very strong field.

All admirable thoughts and, having met Jim quite a few times - I delivered his post in Woodstock one Christmas and sold him a TV some years later - I would have no hesitation in joining in the campaign however, naming anything at the breeze block after anybody is, in my mind, akin to an insult.
I would much rather we sought to name various parts of the eventual new stadium after those held in esteem. A fresh start with OUFC at the centre of the facilities and reflecting the history and people of our club. FK would never have anybody else's name adorning his edifice anyway and why bother having that discussion with him?

Yes very sad news , the word legend is used far to much these days for people you are not! Jim Smith is a OUFC legend , and he made Oxford what it was in the glory year’s!
Those great days , when we punched way above our weight and they will never be seen again them great days and nights at the Manor... UTM.

Could always name the Training Ground after him now that we are about to take over management of it

Guest of honour this Saturday, along with fellow 60s OUFC veteran Colin Booth

Was John Shuker there Saturday ? I presume it was Colin Booth in the wheelchair but didn’t see John. Booth was just a bit before my time by Shuker was a mainstay of the side when I first started watching Oxford in about 1972.

Sad to hear he’s struggling. He lived in Bampton when I did and was always a nice, unassuming chap, nothing like how a lot of modern day footballers are perceived.

Was John Shuker there Saturday ? I presume it was Colin Booth in the wheelchair but didn’t see John. Booth was just a bit before my time by Shuker was a mainstay of the side when I first started watching Oxford in about 1972.

Sad to hear he’s struggling. He lived in Bampton when I did and was always a nice, unassuming chap, nothing like how a lot of modern day footballers are perceived.
John Shuker was admitted to hospital on friday evening so he wasnt at saturdays match.... believe Colin Booth was guest of honour though

John Shuker was admitted to hospital on friday evening so he wasnt at saturdays match.... believe Colin Booth was guest of honour though
All true, very sad that John couldn't make it. His family want to try and make it for the Rochdale game, if he's fit enough. Colin was in a wheelchair but looked pleased with the reception he got in the 1893 club. Hard to accept that some of my boyhood heroes are now reduced to wheelchairs and needing assistance. Getting old is just no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom