Manager/Coach Jim Smith RIP

Legend is an overused word in football, but Jim Smith was and always will be an absolute OUFC Legend.

RIP.

Rest In Peace, Jim Smith. Our best ever manager and architect of our best ever team.

RIP Bald Eagle - this club will never forget you.

Born in the mid-80’s so have no memory of his most significant spell as our boss. But even his return in the dark days of L2 relegation and the Conference have some wonderful memories.

I can’t remember the game sadly - but I remember being stood right behind him as he unleashed the most hilarious stream of profanity I’ve ever heard - completely unable to comprehend why Matt Day wasn’t a good enough footballer to pick a pass into the midfield rather than launch it right up the touchline and out for a goal kick. I still smile every time I think about his utter rage and struggle to understand that Conference footballers weren’t good enough to do half of the things he wanted them to.

An intensely sad day for OUFC, and I’m sure all the stops will be pulled out to ensure he is suitably honoured and remembered for his immense contribution to our club...

EDIT - and it’s a measure of the man and his phenomenal achievements in football that we are just one of a great many clubs who will feel his loss greatly tonight...

Sad news. RIP Jim Smith. A real football man who made a great contribution to all the teams he managed.

I feel privileged to have been an Oxford fan in the Jim Smith era. Undoubtedly our greatest.

Thank you for everything and rest in peace Sir.

Awful news! A very sad day.

An absolute gentleman!
A Legend, and the best manager we’ve ever had!

I was fortunate to speak to him a couple of times, and he was always such a charming man.

RIP JS

RIP Jim Smith - Thankful to have been able to watch the best teams he put out in the 80's. What days those were. Thoughts with his family and friends.

One, if not the greatest Manager we’ve ever had the privilege to lead us. Truly devastated when he left us the first time, this now only surpassed by his final departure. Hope he meets up with Ron and they can discuss football and OUFC for all eternity. God Bless Jim, and thank you for the memories and may you rest in piece ?

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim on a number of occasions and he was every bit the larger than life character that I hoped and imagined he would be. A true gent too. Full of stories and anecdotes about the good old days of the 1980s, Maxwell, and some of our greatest players.

Privileged to have spent time in his company and holding back a tear as I type. RIP Bald Eagle, Simply the Best.

Gutted is an understatement, I truly mean that, he bought us the best times ever with OUFC, world class players, world class team, world class manager and person - God Bless your soul Jim, RIP fella xx

A thought occurred to me, not all of us are in the know with regards to the lyrics of the Yellow Submarine song (East stand version, of course) Could someone please post them so that even us SSU dinosaurs might be able to join in?

Thank you for the memories, Jim
You will always be part of our history.
Great man.
Condolences to the Smith family.
Rest in Peace

So sad.
RIP Sir.
Thank you for the god times, and the great times.
Fitting that he will be remembered in front of a full house.
Not a time to joke but I hope this wasn’t autocorrected as it’s very apt.?

Back
Top Bottom