Matches How Would You Turn Us Around

If you play players like Long (terrible on the ball), Negru & Brown as part of your back four then you need to play a low block and play on the counter.

If Des wants to play the ‘Man City’ possession based way then Stevens, Moore & Thorniley would start for me.

Possession based side.
Cumming
Stevens Moore Thorniley Leigh
Murphy McGuane Brannagan Bodin
Harris Goodwin

Counter attacking side.
Cumming
Long Moore Brown Leigh
McGuane Matete Brannagan
Murphy Harris Goodrham​

I would play this against teams we should be dominating possession against and aim to move the ball quickly and in front of players which is why Goodrham, Rodrigues and Bodin are all benched, they want the ball to feet too much and slow us down in my view and with how we're playing at the moment, that isn't helping us in my opinion.

lineup.png

For teams where we are likely to have less possession against, I'd go with similar to how we play now, but look to dominate the midfield and break with pace through the wings on the counter.

lineup (1).png

But what the f**k do I know :ROFLMAO: my management experience consists of a couple of season in the Witney and District league.

I would play this against teams we should be dominating possession against and aim to move the ball quickly and in front of players which is why Goodrham, Rodrigues and Bodin are all benched, they want the ball to feet too much and slow us down in my view and with how we're playing at the moment, that isn't helping us in my opinion.

View attachment 17994

For teams where we are likely to have less possession against, I'd go with similar to how we play now, but look to dominate the midfield and break with pace through the wings on the counter.

View attachment 17995

But what the f**k do I know :ROFLMAO: my management experience consists of a couple of season in the Witney and District league.
So no Leigh in either scenario?

So no Leigh in either scenario?
Nope, Bennett makes us more solid at the back in my opinion (and f**k me do we need to be more solid) and I also think Leigh has been poor since coming back from injury.

I’d say to the players ‘do you really want to lose all the hard work you’ve put in throughout the season’ Also, we’ve only got 11 games of the season to go, and possibly 13 if we get to the play off final, so prove to yourself that you deserve to get promotion.

I’d play a 4-4-2 system, go back to basics of 3 touch football with pass & move. I’d ask wingers to beat the respective defenders and get the ball into the box at the earliest opportunity. I’d have a target man up front with the other forward playing off of them. I’d have a strong tackler in the middle sitting just in front of the back 4, who once they’ve won the ball passes it to the creative midfielder to start the next attack. I’d ask the fullbacks to overlap wingers, and again ask them to deliver the ball into the box/danger area at the first opportunity. With the fullbacks and wingers doing this, the forwards would know this and make their runs accordingly. I’d have one of the central defenders to be the one who attacks /wins the ball in aerial duals, with the other reading the game/sweeping up the ball/being the ball player. I’d tell the players that having/retaining the ball is really important, so if we lose it we work hard to get it back. Also, if we lose it we’re all defenders, and likewise if we have it then we’re all attackers. I’d give freedom for players to shoot at the first opportunity. I’d also say, don’t force the ball, but play measured/intelligent football. I’d also work on set-pieces, and make sure we have players coming in around the back on our corners. Lastly, I wouldn’t get the players to slow the game down e.g. when it’s our goal kick/thrown in/free kicks etc, but tell them to play on the front foot. Also to go for the 2nd and 3rd goals to kill games off. Other than that, not a lot really!!

Last edited:
I would sharpen us up at set pieces which are generally woeful. Most of our corners are floated in, we are so deep when defending them there was one corner on Saturday where all 11 players closer than the penalty spot.

Our throw ins are a joke, I've lost count of the number we give away and also attacking throw ins that end up back with the goalkeeper within 3 passes. Other teams seem to be able to win the ball at throw ins, as we don't have the intensity around the restart.

We need to look forward first instead of backwards, its not like we have Beckenbauer and Rio Ferdinand in defence.

We also need to start with our most dangerous players, Josh Murphy and then one from Dale, Goodhram and Burey and actually look to get the ball to them and quickly. Don't pass it to them once, watch them skin the full back and then ignore them for the rest of the half whilst we aimlessly play around the back

Nope, Bennett makes us more solid at the back in my opinion (and f**k me do we need to be more solid) and I also think Leigh has been poor since coming back from injury.
Totally disagree. Sure he hasn't got the goals like at the start of the season, but he's still one of the top 3 best performers on the pitch for us, over the last few weeks. The biggest problem has been down the right-hand side, most specifically RB and RCB, especially without Moore there.

Rubbish!!
Barnsley, Bolton 3-1-4-2
Blackpool, Charlton 3-5-2
Bristol Rovers, Wycombe 4-4-2
Carlisle 4-1-3-2
Burton 5-3-2
That's just league one
In the Premier,
Aston Villa, Burnley, Everton,
Sheffield United, Brentford all play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

Well yeah, clearly we need to be more like Charlton and Carlisle.

I would sharpen us up at set pieces which are generally woeful. Most of our corners are floated in, we are so deep when defending them there was one corner on Saturday where all 11 players closer than the penalty spot.

Our throw ins are a joke, I've lost count of the number we give away and also attacking throw ins that end up back with the goalkeeper within 3 passes. Other teams seem to be able to win the ball at throw ins, as we don't have the intensity around the restart.

We need to look forward first instead of backwards, its not like we have Beckenbauer and Rio Ferdinand in defence.

We also need to start with our most dangerous players, Josh Murphy and then one from Dale, Goodhram and Burey and actually look to get the ball to them and quickly. Don't pass it to them once, watch them skin the full back and then ignore them for the rest of the half whilst we aimlessly play around the back

Genuinely painful, also our positing and reactions when the opposition have a throw.

I would sit the lads down, look them in their eyes and tell them the following:

You've got to hold and give. But do it at the right time.

You can be slow or fast. But you must get to the line.

They'll always hit you and hurt you. Defend and attack.

There's only one way to beat them. Get 'round the back.

I would tell our players to make sure they pass the ball to each other, not the opposition. I would tell them not to make school boy errors and to play with a smile on their face. I would tell them to shoot on sight but not miss the goal. I would tell them to kick the ball into the top corner of the opposition net multiple times a game because it's harder for their goalie to save it.

I would tell the players to win the crowd and they will win their freedom.

I often think of a call to RadOx, must have been 15 to 20 years ago now. The caller said that at home we should take the game to the other team, get a couple of goals before half time and then try and add another in the second half.

I always wonder why we don't try that more often.

• Bring Goodwin in for Harris. Harris is a tenacious little fecker, but Goodwin's hold up play is a level above. A large part of Rodrigues's drop off has been down to him picking up the ball with his back to goal increasingly often, and getting swamped on the turn. Goodwin will get the best out of Rodrigues.
  • Elliot Moore back in the side. Rarely loses an aerial dual and his distribution from the back has been outstanding this season. His absence also reinforces how much the whole defensive unit depends on him as a leader.
  • Finn Stevens back in the side when he's fit. Offers much more going forward than Long going forward, and we need to get on the front foot more in the final 11 games.
  • Get the 'wingers' in the opposition's CB/FB channels more, feeding off Goodwin and giving Rodrigues forward options. Also allows the full backs - Leigh and Stevens - to get forward more.
  • Brannaghan starts every game in a double pivot alongside either McGuane (when we expect to dominate possession) or Matete (when we expect to see a little less of the ball and need someone to break up attacks).
  • Win more second balls in midfield.

I often think of a call to RadOx, must have been 15 to 20 years ago now. The caller said that at home we should take the game to the other team, get a couple of goals before half time and then try and add another in the second half.

Around the time Patto was in charge.

Such a shame noone told him the above.

The quickest win for me would be to get us to sharpen up to quick free kicks and throw ins, both attacking and defending. Every week we get caught by a free kick and the amount of times the opposition can take a throw in and play it back first time to the unmarked thrower is silly. I don't know how you do it, maybe play small sided games and blow up randomly, if the kick isn't taken within 2 seconds it's overturned or something like that. It shouldn't be too much for professionals to grasp pretty quickly.

Otherwise the biggest issue is sorting out the midfield, (right back is a problem too but whoever we play there is going to be an issue, I don't think Stevens is much defensively and Smyth was a car crash there against Pompey, his goal at Charlton also covered up how many times he got taken to the cleaners). I just don't think Brannagan works properly in a midfield 2. Under Manning we had more success and control but that largely neutralised Cam. Under Buckingham he's got more licence to do what he wants but he must be a nightmare to play alongside as you never know where he's going to pop up, it's no wonder we're so easy to play through. If we play with a 3 then it needs a designated sitter for when it all goes to pot, as it will. I'm not sure who that would be, Matete is more an all action terrier than someone who's hold his position, McGuane might be the option even if it means losing his ability on the ball, not that he's shown that much since October. Perhaps Smyth as it was the role he was brought in to play.

Whatever the defensive line up Moore and Brown have to be in it but I'm not sure that's particularly revolutionary. Moore's absence has again shown how valuable he is, not least for a sense of calm back there. Of all the right back options I'd go with Stevens. Whoever plays there will be targeted and he's the sweet spot of being better on the ball and more likely to help us progress it than Long but not as bad defensively as Smyth.

Is this man still available for the job? I like the sound of winning every game 4 or 5 nil, my sort of manager.

Back
Top Bottom