Getting the crowds back in

Given the news today and the decision to curtail the season last March - sighting clubs not being able to afford to continue in empty stadia, it does beg the question whether or not much more of this campaign will carry on.
Hope not. If they conclude we will be in L2

Hope not. If they conclude we will be in L2

I don’t think you can relegate teams off the back a of a 2 game season being completed. Null and void certainly does come into the equation though.

I’d much rather a null and void season as opposed to putting ourselves in financial meltdown by trying to play on and plug the gaps of having no supporters at games.

You wonder how we can continue if the season is null and void before xmas. How do we go 9-12 months paying the normal rent to landlord and spaffing a few million on player salaries with no income?? That would require some serious generosity from Tiger...

Can we back out of player contracts on the basis that they have been frustrated? Is it even worth trying that if they'll take us to court anyway? Could we back away from the lease now and look at a ground share with Oxford City if the season is cancelled?

The only solutions involve spending tons of money.

Yeah this could be curtains for teams that don't own their stadium.

You wonder how we can continue if the season is null and void before xmas. How do we go 9-12 months paying the normal rent to landlord and spaffing a few million on player salaries with no income?? That would require some serious generosity from Tiger...the shareholders with serious wedge

Can we back out of player contracts on the basis that they have been frustrated? Is it even worth trying that if they'll take us to court anyway? Could we back away from the lease now and look at a ground share with Oxford City if the season is cancelled?

I think this is more realistic.

A major consideration to take into account for this week’s announcement, is not so much with ourselves but with the National League. They’re due to kick off on 3rd October but have insisted that it should be with fans in attendance. Without them coming in, this season could be null and void for them before a ball is even kicked. Another reprieve for whoever conspires to finish 92nd in the EFL although it could be that someone else will go to the wall before the season concludes anyway.

The issue this creates for us (and everyone else with youth teamers and senior pros surplus to requirements) is that there is a host of viable clubs to send players on loan to no longer playing. I would have thought that there could have been an opening for the likes of Malachi Napa or Slavi Spasov at a NLS side or similar. The chances of that and shifting a player or two off the books, albeit temporarily, could be cut short immediately.

Spare a thought for former U’s favourite Jake Wright. Just signed for Hereford in the NLN this week as well!

Prediction, the season will carry on and there will be a govt/prem league rescue package. it will be politically very difficult to leave lower league and non league clubs twisting in the wind

There will also be (very) strictly limited crowds allowed in.

Not a popular thing to say but the club must be secretly pleased that they flogged Baptiste, Fosu and Dickie when they did. Possibly will save our club’s financial a**e.

Particularly as I can’t see our landlord being particularly generous on the time to pay front.

As ever the problem will be higher outgoings than money in.
The government has a £2trillion deficit and it would be nice to see the smaller clubs bailed out. The question is how much could the chancellor spend doing that, and how far down the leagues will he be prepared to go.
The imminent prospect of a second national lockdown is frightening in terms of the financial impact on industry and everyone’s jobs.
At the moment our future looks very bleak and it is hard to see where we go from here

You wonder how we can continue if the season is null and void before xmas. How do we go 9-12 months paying the normal rent to landlord and spaffing a few million on player salaries with no income?? That would require some serious generosity from Tiger...

The fact that Spurs had to pay for Leyton Orient to have tests before their cup tie, which then turned up double figures in terms of positive results, is something to keep an eye on. I think there’s a chance that at some point a few clubs might start pushing back and essentially refuse to play fixtures if they aren’t sure it’s safe, and if there’s a scenario where half the teams in L1/2 can afford testing and half can’t. Throw in the financial issues and there’s a lot in the way of the season coming to a conclusion as planned.

Did they not pass some sort of legislation over the summer that said the leagues can be ended as is after something like 50% of the games have been played? I can see a scenario where that comes into play.

Millwall have suspended ST sales................ I don`t know why. i would have thought some sort of income with ifollow would be better than nothing or are they battening down the hatches ahead of the storm?
Strange time indeed.
You know what I’m going to say already, about how this could’ve been avoided.

I’m going to wee wee myself through frustration.

You know what I’m going to say already, about how this could’ve been avoided.

I’m going to wee wee myself through frustration.
Yeah I’m in agreement. Clubs and the football league have been lazy with their digital offering in the hope they could fans in. Now the fans option has been taken away it will be interesting to see if clubs begin to up their game.

I found it boring watching ifollow on Saturday and I doubt I’ll pay for many more away games. There’s other tv sport offerings that give me more entertainment. If I’m not attending then I want more build up and more post match reflection. There are other things I can do with my time and unfortunately oxford on ifollow doesn’t rank that highly.

Yeah I’m in agreement. Clubs and the football league have been lazy with their digital offering in the hope they could fans in. Now the fans option has been taken away it will be interesting to see if clubs begin to up their game.

I found it boring watching ifollow on Saturday and I doubt I’ll pay for many more away games. There’s other tv sport offerings that give me more entertainment. If I’m not attending then I want more build up and more post match reflection. There are other things I can do with my time and unfortunately oxford on ifollow doesn’t rank that highly.

stick to rad ox ? ... hour pre match build up and hour post match after math, plus full live match coverage on there ( night games £0 min pre & 30 min post match)

stick to rad ox ? ... hour pre match build up and hour post match after math, plus full live match coverage on there ( night games £0 min pre & 30 min post match)
Yeah I love radio oxford coverage Sarge. Do I get the full coverage via ifollow Sarge, seemed to cutout a bit at half time and seemed to go off pretty quickly post match but that might be have just been a problem my end.

This was inevitable from the off, six months ago. The leagues, governing bodies and sport as a whole were lazy and had their heads in the sand, and now we are in a situation where all clubs across the leagues have basically begged supporters to buy their season tickets at multiple and varying price points, for the same streams that they could’ve sat at home and picked up for £10 a pop. I’ve paid more than double the cost of 23 home game streams for my ST that I realistically won’t get to use, as have many others. On top of that, even those of us with season tickets have all paid different amounts to each other, let alone anyone else. And people can say we knew what we were risking, but that isn’t the point - the fans shouldn’t have had to be the ones risking it in the first place. This isn’t about Oxford United or any one football club, it’s about football and the authorities as a whole. They’ve just leaned on supporters and made it our responsibility to bail out our clubs by digging deep on a bum deal, because they couldn’t be bothered to spend a few months sorting out a basic paywall and pricing structure, and improved revenue splits, while having a really honest conversation with fans about how they could best support their clubs for one season while we get to grips with this. People were calling for it on this very forum in April - it’s not hindsight to say this now and it isn’t unforeseen because it was obvious at the time. It was seen and it was called for, and as usual the people in charge never even thought of it, sacked off dealing with it in the hope it would all work out, and tucked into their steaks. Because tickets on the turnstiles, pukka pies and match day programmes will take care of everything, forever.

What a mess.

Yeah I love radio oxford coverage Sarge. Do I get the full coverage via ifollow Sarge, seemed to cutout a bit at half time and seemed to go off pretty quickly post match but that might be have just been a problem my end.
For those of us outside the area, iFollow (both the audio only and the joint coverage) seem a bit random as to which bits of the Radio Oxford commentary you get.

I tend to have the online radOx stream on for as long as possible before the game, then switch to iFollow - that's normally fine. As you say, half time is sometimes a problem as the stream is sometimes cut and the radio stream is not available either. I can normally fill the time by making a cup of something!

The iFollow stream is at it's worst at the end of the game though. It will quite often cut out fairly promptly after the final whistle and the radio stream doesn't come back on until 5pm. Which means (perhaps a blessing in disguise after some games!) you sometimes miss KRs post-match thoughts.

So I suspect it isn't a problem your end. Maybe we ought to email Chris Williams to see if we can make iFollow carry on their coverage until 5pm?

I would like to think that uncle greedy B*****s would have a heart somewhere and can show compassion.....alright ok I’ll get my coat

I know there apart but those social bubbles look a lot more than 6 in a group D791C4F5-E561-43FE-80A2-A74940907F2E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom