EFL Free to view highlights

Shows what a lucky escape we had!

Also, Alex Neil is already a journeyman manager, how many games is it?! They really can't work out that changing the manager so frequently isn't doing them any favours.

Some I feel sorry for as clearly long term supporters but some are utterly laughable and still haven't got to grips that they are a L1 club now, not a PL club. We had our fair share in the Conference but that was quickly ended in season 2, whilst theirs are still going after 4+ seasons.
What are they bloody moaning about? They got Defoe didn’t they.

The thread on Defoe is quality, starts off with how he will still destroy defences as the defenders at this level are donkeys and will be terrified of him, then by the end of it when he hasn’t scored any goals and has been putting in performances Lukaku would consider lethargic they are all claiming they knew it was a mistake to sign a bloke hitting 40 soon.

I suppose the only plus side of an ITV deal might be a couple of extra quid and a very slightly raised profile from being on a more mainstream channel? Not certain that will be worth it when they roll out the 2022 versions of Andy Townsend and Barry Venison.

Purely a personal view here but Sunderland - and their rivals Newcastle - had and have this mindset even as top flight clubs.

How many times did we see hostile crowds, season tickets thrown and empty seats at the SoL from the 80th minute on even when they were a PL club? I still enjoy Gary Lineker's jibe on one episode of MOTD - 'Beat the traffic at Sunderland by staying until the end'. Nothing ever seems good enough for them. They want to be a big player and be finishing top half of the PL but there are a host of better financed, better run clubs than them nowadays. Having impressive attendances and selling out away ends does not afford you big club status anymore. You're one of the rest and only from careful management from the top down and a sense of realism, patience and understanding will they perhaps enter that sphere again.

There was once a degree of sympathy from me for their woeful mismanagement at the top but that disappears when you see the treatment of Jack Ross and Lee Johnson from their fanbase. They are constantly angry, arguing for instant change and instant results. Sorry, folks - look around you. You're playing Accrington, Burton and Shrewsbury who have a fraction of the resources but have stability and wise heads keeping them here. You're playing sides you have played in the top flight down here too - Portsmouth, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton - you're not the only big gun in League. You're not 'on loan' here. You have to fight for your way back and the unending pressure they put on the club is crippling it.

If I were to become Sunderland manager, I'd use a few hard truths in a Wilder-style. Tell them 'I don't give a toss about your history', this is where you are and this is my plan to get you out of here. Don't like it, see you later. Aim to build from the back and acquire talent in an MAsh/MApp style with a mix of young and sellable assets, seasoned League 1 pros and to balance the books where the average wage for the highest and lowest earners is narrowed to avoid squad discontentment. They don't need Defoe and McGeady. They need the sort of players that Rotherham rely upon and Blackpool acquire for small beer (not Brannagan obvs). You don't need flashiness - some size, some grit, some talent and a fanbase willing to accept that.
I would have done everything to have got in CW.
He would have taken no nonsense and is now a serial winner.
Not that he would necessarily have wanted to go to Sunderland ( why would a manager?)

Purely a personal view here but Sunderland - and their rivals Newcastle - had and have this mindset even as top flight clubs.

How many times did we see hostile crowds, season tickets thrown and empty seats at the SoL from the 80th minute on even when they were a PL club? I still enjoy Gary Lineker's jibe on one episode of MOTD - 'Beat the traffic at Sunderland by staying until the end'. Nothing ever seems good enough for them. They want to be a big player and be finishing top half of the PL but there are a host of better financed, better run clubs than them nowadays. Having impressive attendances and selling out away ends does not afford you big club status anymore. You're one of the rest and only from careful management from the top down and a sense of realism, patience and understanding will they perhaps enter that sphere again.

There was once a degree of sympathy from me for their woeful mismanagement at the top but that disappears when you see the treatment of Jack Ross and Lee Johnson from their fanbase. They are constantly angry, arguing for instant change and instant results. Sorry, folks - look around you. You're playing Accrington, Burton and Shrewsbury who have a fraction of the resources but have stability and wise heads keeping them here. You're playing sides you have played in the top flight down here too - Portsmouth, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton - you're not the only big gun in League. You're not 'on loan' here. You have to fight for your way back and the unending pressure they put on the club is crippling it.

If I were to become Sunderland manager, I'd use a few hard truths in a Wilder-style. Tell them 'I don't give a toss about your history', this is where you are and this is my plan to get you out of here. Don't like it, see you later. Aim to build from the back and acquire talent in an MAsh/MApp style with a mix of young and sellable assets, seasoned League 1 pros and to balance the books where the average wage for the highest and lowest earners is narrowed to avoid squad discontentment. They don't need Defoe and McGeady. They need the sort of players that Rotherham rely upon and Blackpool acquire for small beer (not Brannagan obvs). You don't need flashiness - some size, some grit, some talent and a fanbase willing to accept that.

I can agree with a lot of that.

It will be s**t, 50 minutes of whoever is the biggest club down in the championship, 8 minutes on the rest of the championship and a minute each for league one and two.

Mind you I have never watched the quest one so I suppose I can’t complain, watch our goals online and that’s me done with the football league, once we are a premier league club regularly playing in the champions league I will love not having to see minnows like Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich etc.
Quest is actually quite good, the pundits know about each team's recent record and quirks, and there is decent coverage of League 1 and 2.

Real shame - the Quest coverage is really good, with a punditry team that actually have a clue about 'lower' leagues footy. I don't have a lot of faith in ITV getting this right - if they wheel out Andy Townsend I will kick the TV.
God no, I forgot about him and his punditry 🥲

Hopefully they just employ the Quest team, although bet they don't.

No chance if they are not ex pros, at least Sky will put ex FL players on, it will ex prem players who can’t get on the the other broadcasts.

If you have very, very low expectations of this then you should only be mildly disappointed.

The Quest coverage - it's informed. Great to see George Elek on there. But the running order can be suspect IMO.

ITV sounds like an utter car crash in waiting.

Back
Top Bottom