EFL Free to view highlights

Sarge

God like member
On ITV next season ( for 2 years) ...

Last edited:
Hope that will be available abroad.

On ITV next season ( for 2 years) ...

I'll bet Quest are feeling a little pissed off this morning!

It will be a shame if it is less than the 2 hours and decent punditry Quest provide.
it claims -Each show will feature every goal from every EFL fixture plus detailed analysis from a panel of expert pundits.

.... and also-
Highlights of midweek fixtures, where a full round has taken place, will also be broadcast on ITV and ITV Hub, covering Sky Bet EFL matches.

It will be s**t, 50 minutes of whoever is the biggest club down in the championship, 8 minutes on the rest of the championship and a minute each for league one and two.

Mind you I have never watched the quest one so I suppose I can’t complain, watch our goals online and that’s me done with the football league, once we are a premier league club regularly playing in the champions league I will love not having to see minnows like Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich etc.

It will be s**t, 50 minutes of whoever is the biggest club down in the championship, 8 minutes on the rest of the championship and a minute each for league one and two.

Mind you I have never watched the quest one so I suppose I can’t complain, watch our goals online and that’s me done with the football league, once we are a premier league club regularly playing in the champions league I will love not having to see minnows like Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich etc.

Do Sunderland have a football team now?

Do Sunderland have a football team now?
They might have more players than regular fans:

I have to say that when I have watched the Quest highlights, they're better presented than anything BBC and ITV have done in the past. It's a bit of a shame to lose it to ITV as they'll probably end up giving it to Matt Smith whose speech pattern resembles someone doing freeform poetry. Colin Murray has done his research and presents with a relaxed air and the best pundits are the ones that tend not to have played the game. George Elek and Ali Maxwell have always prepared better and know far more than some jobbing former pro does.

The problem with EFL highlights if that they have so much to cover - often in excess of 30 games. For example, you're never going to spot the subtle tactical change in a run-of-the-mill 1-0 win for Mansfield over Crawley or spot how Morecambe made use of counters in their credible away draw with Sheffield Wednesday as there just isn't time to cover these things. It just ends up being really general content so Quest's attempts to bring in some statistical insight seen in MOTD or Monday Night Football bring in is credible.

I have to say that when I have watched the Quest highlights, they're better presented than anything BBC and ITV have done in the past. It's a bit of a shame to lose it to ITV as they'll probably end up giving it to Matt Smith whose speech pattern resembles someone doing freeform poetry. Colin Murray has done his research and presents with a relaxed air and the best pundits are the ones that tend not to have played the game. George Elek and Ali Maxwell have always prepared better and know far more than some jobbing former pro does.

The problem with EFL highlights if that they have so much to cover - often in excess of 30 games. For example, you're never going to spot the subtle tactical change in a run-of-the-mill 1-0 win for Mansfield over Crawley or spot how Morecambe made use of counters in their credible away draw with Sheffield Wednesday as there just isn't time to cover these things. It just ends up being really general content so Quest's attempts to bring in some statistical insight seen in MOTD or Monday Night Football bring in is credible.
I think it'll very likely be Championship 'heavy' , with probably only the goals from L1 &L2 very briefly screened ( no build-up etc)

I think it'll very likely be Championship 'heavy' , with probably only the goals from L1 &L2 very briefly screened ( no build-up etc)

Classic ITV. Remember when they got the rights to the top flight with 'The Premiership'. They ballsed it up by trying to show highlights at 7pm and then had 'feature' games that took up most of the programme (basically anyone from Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool). The rest had Gabriel Clarke doing a post-match voiceover. The feature matches had proper commentary.

Their international coverage isn't that bad nowadays - in fact, they probably edged out the BBC at the Euros last summer - but I can't say I remember their highlights programmes with much fondness.

They might have more players than regular fans:

Shows what a lucky escape we had!

Also, Alex Neil is already a journeyman manager, how many games is it?! They really can't work out that changing the manager so frequently isn't doing them any favours.

Some I feel sorry for as clearly long term supporters but some are utterly laughable and still haven't got to grips that they are a L1 club now, not a PL club. We had our fair share in the Conference but that was quickly ended in season 2, whilst theirs are still going after 4+ seasons.

Shows what a lucky escape we had!

Also, Alex Neil is already a journeyman manager, how many games is it?! They really can't work out that changing the manager so frequently isn't doing them any favours.

Some I feel sorry for as clearly long term supporters but some are utterly laughable and still haven't got to grips that they are a L1 club now, not a PL club. We had our fair share in the Conference but that was quickly ended in season 2, whilst theirs are still going after 4+ seasons.

Purely a personal view here but Sunderland - and their rivals Newcastle - had and have this mindset even as top flight clubs.

How many times did we see hostile crowds, season tickets thrown and empty seats at the SoL from the 80th minute on even when they were a PL club? I still enjoy Gary Lineker's jibe on one episode of MOTD - 'Beat the traffic at Sunderland by staying until the end'. Nothing ever seems good enough for them. They want to be a big player and be finishing top half of the PL but there are a host of better financed, better run clubs than them nowadays. Having impressive attendances and selling out away ends does not afford you big club status anymore. You're one of the rest and only from careful management from the top down and a sense of realism, patience and understanding will they perhaps enter that sphere again.

There was once a degree of sympathy from me for their woeful mismanagement at the top but that disappears when you see the treatment of Jack Ross and Lee Johnson from their fanbase. They are constantly angry, arguing for instant change and instant results. Sorry, folks - look around you. You're playing Accrington, Burton and Shrewsbury who have a fraction of the resources but have stability and wise heads keeping them here. You're playing sides you have played in the top flight down here too - Portsmouth, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton - you're not the only big gun in League. You're not 'on loan' here. You have to fight for your way back and the unending pressure they put on the club is crippling it.

If I were to become Sunderland manager, I'd use a few hard truths in a Wilder-style. Tell them 'I don't give a toss about your history', this is where you are and this is my plan to get you out of here. Don't like it, see you later. Aim to build from the back and acquire talent in an MAsh/MApp style with a mix of young and sellable assets, seasoned League 1 pros and to balance the books where the average wage for the highest and lowest earners is narrowed to avoid squad discontentment. They don't need Defoe and McGeady. They need the sort of players that Rotherham rely upon and Blackpool acquire for small beer (not Brannagan obvs). You don't need flashiness - some size, some grit, some talent and a fanbase willing to accept that.

Classic ITV. Remember when they got the rights to the top flight with 'The Premiership'. They ballsed it up by trying to show highlights at 7pm and then had 'feature' games that took up most of the programme (basically anyone from Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool). The rest had Gabriel Clarke doing a post-match voiceover. The feature matches had proper commentary.

Their international coverage isn't that bad nowadays - in fact, they probably edged out the BBC at the Euros last summer - but I can't say I remember their highlights programmes with much fondness.
Don’t forget the advert breaks they had when they first won the rights to show the games.

Back
Top Bottom