EPL FFP (Financial Fair Play)

Funny how they find time to punish little Leicester and let Chelsea and Manchester City off the hook.
Today I received a £100 demand from HMRC for failing to self certify. I bet Costa and Apple don’t get demands.
(My accountant said don’t pay it as I’m retired and not required to send money)

Leicester are serial financial cheats.

Got caught for bankrolling to get into the Prem and just paid the fine and carried on.

Man City - 110 charges not a peep.

Chelsea - writing the rules to suit themselves

Got caught for bankrolling to get into the Prem and just paid the fine and carried on.

Man City is taking time as they have so many charges and plenty are quite complicated from what I've read and they have got shedloads of cash to pay lots of the best lawyers. The Everton/Forest situations are relatively straightforward even if the Disciplinary/Appeals Panels have made it look anything but.

Last edited:
Funny how they find time to punish little Leicester and let Chelsea and Manchester City off the hook.
Today I received a £100 demand from HMRC for failing to self certify. I bet Costa and Apple don’t get demands.
(My accountant said don’t pay it as I’m retired and not required to send money)

Make sure you don’t ignore it though.

Lodge an appeal asking for a withdrawal of the requirement to submit a Tax Return under s8b tma1970, and certainly don’t now submit the late Tax Return, as the right to appeal is then lost.

With any luck they will be relegated when they finally get to the bottom of this debacle 🤔

I long for the day when we can ultimately let teams of lawyers decide the final placings and we can dispatch with the actual nonsense of playing football matches.
1711095579672.png

Not sure how it can take the Premier League a whole year to punish a club but it just shows yet again how well they are ran…
Leicester also have been charged by the EFL for breaking financial rules.

"Leicester have been referred to an independent commission for breaching profit and sustainability rules (PSR) and failing to submit audited finances."

I suspect a lack of cooperation by Leicester caused significant delay.

The tactics from the clubs appears to be either:

1. Admit the charges. Take the points deduction now in a season where the promoted clubs have very low points tallies and hope the points deduction won't make an difference.
2. Be uncooperative and try to drag it out as long as possible and try to reap the benefits by either avoiding relegation or by qualifying for Europe etc. (or more in Man City's case)

It does appear that the mechanism for reviewing PSR is either under resourced or unable to enforce compliance with submission of documentation.

Although I am slightly amused to see Premier League fans getting a bee in their bonnet and decrying that points deductions "affects the integrity of the league" given the EFL has been dishing out points deductions for failure of financial compliance for years.

Although on closer inspection, it looks like the Kevin de Bruyne lookalike in the red and white is joined to the Harry Maguire lookalike in all red.

Presumably you asked AI to find a typical Swindon fan and it generated a monster with 2 heads, 2 arms and 3 legs?

Sounds about right to me.

"Leicester have been referred to an independent commission for breaching profit and sustainability rules (PSR) and failing to submit audited finances."

1. Admit the charges. Take the points deduction now in a season where the promoted clubs have very low points tallies and hope the points deduction won't make an difference.
2. Be uncooperative and try to drag it out as long as possible and try to reap the benefits by either avoiding relegation or by qualifying for Europe etc. (or more in Man City's case)

It does appear that the mechanism for reviewing PSR is either under resourced or unable to enforce compliance with submission of documentation.

Although I am slightly amused to see Premier League fans getting a bee in their bonnet and decrying that points deductions "affects the integrity of the league" given the EFL has been dishing out points deductions for failure of financial compliance for years.

Or in Leicester`s previous case admit it and pay the fine, which was relative peanuts compared to the "bonus" of reaching the trough of greed.

And then they went on to win the PL and the FA Cup in a somewhat surreal few years for the City even before you mention Kings in car parks. :)

Leicester's has taken longer as it was under the old rules with far longer timeframes, just like Everton's 1st charge. Forest's and Everton's 2nd charge are under the new rules that make the process a maximum of 12 weeks.

Oh, and big surprise, the rumours are that Everton will be deducted only 4 points for the 2nd charge. So a likely pathetic 50% of the possible points deducted for cheating.

If the rumours are true I hope the likes of Wolves/Newcastle etc really kick up and say publically we won't bother follow spending limits and we'll take the tiny points deductions instead.

And the Everton fans crying about being picked on the PL can do one as they've been given nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Well Everton, so predictably, have been let off breaking the financial rules for the 2nd season running. They got a 2 point deduction and like a bad joke they are appealing it!

Apparently, getting a points deduction for breaking the rules is a mitigation for the punishment for breaking the same rules the following period. Just get rid of any financial rules as they just aren't enforced unless it is a small club like Macclesfield or Bury.

Personally I hope the clubs in the PL relegation battle take legal action and cause absolute chaos for the PL. Other teams like Newcastle and Wolves should just go on a spending spree over seasons as there is little to no punishment anyway.

Well Everton, so predictably, have been let off breaking the financial rules for the 2nd season running. They got a 2 point deduction and like a bad joke they are appealing it!

Apparently, getting a points deduction for breaking the rules is a mitigation for the punishment for breaking the same rules the following period. Just get rid of any financial rules as they just aren't enforced unless it is a small club like Macclesfield or Bury.

Personally I hope the clubs in the PL relegation battle take legal action and cause absolute chaos for the PL. Other teams like Newcastle and Wolves should just go on a spending spree over seasons as there is little to no punishment anyway.
What I don’t understand is that Everton got deducted 6 points (after appeal) the first time, Forest have been deducted 4 points and now Everton have been deducted 2 points.

Where the hell is the consistency? If you break the rules it should be a straight forward points deduction just as it is if you go into administration.

What I don’t understand is that Everton got deducted 6 points (after appeal) the first time, Forest have been deducted 4 points and now Everton have been deducted 2 points.

Where the hell is the consistency? If you break the rules it should be a straight forward points deduction just as it is if you go into administration.
Surely points deductions should kick in the following season, it messes up the competition if teams’ points totals are fluctuating randomly because of deductions and appeals.

I suppose the argument is that if you absolutely hammer the rules you should get a worse punishment than someone who goes a bit over it.

Proof will be in how Man City get dealt with, I think we all know they are not getting taken to the cleaners as they have the double protection of incredibly wealthy owners who can afford to drag it out and also it will make a joke of the last 3 seasons of the premier league if it’s champions are found guilty.

Back
Top Bottom