Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.16: Lincoln away

Glad you didn’t take the opportunity to be one of Harris’s critics (well, not directly anyway). He seems to be taking some totally unjustified stick from some quarters. He may not be scoring many but he’s a brilliant facilitator.
And I like Lincoln too.

Lincoln is one of those places that make us want to stay longer than just for the game. Such is the friendly nature of the city and the people, coupled with the attraction of the city itself that originally, with it being a Saturday game, that was the plan.
We arrived at the ground and were engaged in conversation by two Lincoln fans almost immediately. One was familiar with Oxford having worked as a prison officer at Campsfield and, remarkably, at the old Oxford prison. He was most amused at the thought of it now being a hotel!
The fan zone is an example of what could be achieved at the Triangle, an eclectic mix of food and drink with the supporters bar open to all. The football, as the main event, came as a bonus on top of a very enjoyable evening.

Glad you didn’t take the opportunity to be one of Harris’s critics (well, not directly anyway). He seems to be taking some totally unjustified stick from some quarters. He may not be scoring many but he’s a brilliant facilitator.
And I like Lincoln too.
The criticism of Harris from several people (including me) is not that he's a bad player. He's not. He's decent. Works hard, bit of pace, holds the ball up well. Yup- all good. But he's not a natural goalscorer. And nothing in his career to date indicates he ever will be. 100+ games, and about one goal every nine games. He looks like a wide player who drifts in. He's not a goalscorer. So, as he's being selected as our main striker, he's not good enough. Matty Taylor (three years ago) would be on 10+ already in this team. That's why we need at least one, preferably two, forwards in this January.

And I like Lincoln too.
He worked very hard. Put in a shift. This is not intended to be damning with faint praise.
No criticisms of him last night. Can't recall him being caught offside or missing chances he should have scored.

He worked very hard. Put in a shift. This is not intended to be damning with faint praise.
No criticisms of him last night. Can't recall him being caught offside or missing chances he should have scored.
He missed at least one, when he mis-controlled. I think he panics when he gets in front of goal. He's not a natural finisher. That's not to say he's a bad player. But a very good L1 forward wouod get 25+ goals this season in this team. Harris won't. He has a role to play this season, but it cannot be as our main striker, as he's not good enough.

He missed at least one, when he mis-controlled. I think he panics when he gets in front of goal. He's not a natural finisher. That's not to say he's a bad player. But a very good L1 forward wouod get 25+ goals this season in this team. Harris won't. He has a role to play this season, but it cannot be as our main striker, as he's not good enough.
I can't remember him missing that chance but happy to be proved wrong.
Cardiff fans said he wouldn't score many for us. 3 from 12 starts for us is about the same as 9 from 38 starts for them.

On forwards scoring goals does Rodrigues not count as one? He was playing just off Harris in the Wycombe game with Bodin wasn’t he? Although maybe that goes some way to explaining why our attackers have not been scoring, why we struggled for a few games and why it all improved Tuesday night, we didn’t actually have enough forwards until ten minutes into the Lincoln game.

On forwards scoring goals does Rodrigues not count as one? He was playing just off Harris in the Wycombe game with Bodin wasn’t he? Although maybe that goes some way to explaining why our attackers have not been scoring, why we struggled for a few games and why it all improved Tuesday night, we didn’t actually have enough forwards until ten minutes into the Lincoln game.
I do think Manning probably expected Rodrigues to weigh in with a few goals this season. I hope he can score a few more now after his recent effort - as with Harris, it’s a confidence thing.

I don't think anyone would really have expected our left back to be our leading scorer at this (or any) point in the season. What is very positive is that we have numerous players who look like they will weigh in with a fair few goals through the squad. The chances of them all drying up at the same time is obviously less than the reliance on a "20+ goal a season" striker.

We're also creating the chances with the current line up and formation. However the recent blip shows just how reliant we are on Brannagan to link it all together and ensure the whole team performs. That said, I think we really do need to start putting away more of those chances, and that's not just directed at Harris!

Back
Top Bottom