Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.40 - Lincoln away

Brilliant write-up (as always Paul), never underestimate how many people enjoy these, particularly exiles.

"Relegation? My gut feeling is 50:50 and that’s possibly being overly optimistic. There’s not the slightest argument though that our horrendous form over the last nine games makes it a 100% certainty unless that rot is stopped."

The above is 100% my thoughts. I just can't see at the moment how this rot is stopped. In a normal season, you have an idea of your relative strength as a side and can predict where you will likely pick up points (whilst acknowledging the element of randomness is what makes football great)

This season? I wouldn't be confident of beating anyone. Such is our fragility I would fancy us to 50:50 lose against most national league sides. Without bringing up old ground debated a million times, I think some fans don't realise what an absolute number KR did on us, for all he made the play-offs (yadi yada) He has left us with a totally unbalanced squad, devoid of confifence, devoid of a capable backroom staff, devoid of a clue. We are in serious s*it and some of our supporters who were saying anyone who thought we could go down is mental look rather silly now.

We are in a battle that we don't look up for, and aren't really prepared for. The clubs down there like Morecambe are already in the fighting-for-our-status mentality? are we? do we have the character in the squad to pull ourselves out of it?

If they didn't sack KR we were 100% going down. I am pinning all my hopes on a 'new manager bounce', and that doesn't feel like a good place for the football club to be.

Sorry for a bleak post but reading this FV only made me clearer on the fact we are genuinely on the verge this season. A series of good decisions need to be made upstairs for us to pull ourselves away.

We had 15 corners. Every one was long, when you have Tyler G, Bates & Cam in the team there is not much chance of winning a header in a crowded penalty box. Even Elliot Moore (He's no Matt Elliot) at 6' 4" cannot win a strong header, his headers always go softly over the bar. So why not try a short corner where we have two strengths:-
On the right, Tyler loves wriggling into the box past two/three defenders and creating a bit of panic. Henry, Long & Tyler I thought did quite well in creating some sort of openings in front of us down on the right.
On the left, take short corner and try to create some space for Cam to have a shot from 19 yards with his right foot.
Much more chance of scoring from these two opportunities than long corners.
Surely mixing it up a bit can only help, but no our coaching team seems to have completely run out of any fresh ideas.

Thanks Paul, a good honest read.

Towards the start of your report you suggest “We can only get better”. With the current batch of players, low confidence, malaise and lack of coaching prowess, over-reliance on youth or underperforming players, plus the top earners hogging the treatment room, I suggest otherwise.

Plus by the end of your report you have also come round to this way of thinking. I certainly think we deserve relegation after messing up the last 12 months, and relegation could get a few top earners off the books or at least on a much reduced wage. Of course, none of us want relegation but it’s hard to argue that we’re not in the bottom 4 on form, clean sheets and - latterly - goals scored. Depressing eh?

Providing we haven’t been so arrogant and desperate to get deals done that we’ve left such clauses out of pretty much all of our player contracts.
You’d like to think it would be standard e.g. reduced salary for all players and the manager in the event of relegation, which makes me think we probably haven’t paid off KR yet (but just removed him from managerial duties) so that he also takes a cut owing to what would be partly his fault if we do end up in Lge2.

You’d like to think it would be standard e.g. reduced salary for all players and the manager in the event of relegation, which makes me think we probably haven’t paid off KR yet (but just removed him from managerial duties) so that he also takes a cut owing to what would be partly his fault if we do end up in Lge2.
Robinson is guaranteed every single penny of the remainder of his contract with zero reduction of any kind, no matter what. That much I can promise you. The industry standard at this level is usually six months’ pay. Twelve if a club is desperate and a manager has a good agent. We put no such clause in there. Idiotic doesn’t cover it.

Don’t be surprised if many of our players, especially the biggest earners, have nothing written into their contracts regarding a pay cut.

Robinson is guaranteed every single penny of the remainder of his contract with zero reduction of any kind, no matter what. That much I can promise you. The industry standard at this level is usually six months’ pay. Twelve if a club is desperate and a manager has a good agent. We put no such clause in there. Idiotic doesn’t cover it.

Don’t be surprised if many of our players, especially the biggest earners, have nothing written into their contracts regarding a pay cut.
🤢

Well if that’s the case, and although gobsmacked by this I certainly believe you, then I hope we continue to pay him monthly rather than paying him off in one instalment. That way, if he does find another job he’ll have to come back to the negotiating table and agree reduced terms or else he stays on the payroll until the end of his deal.

Back
Top Bottom