Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.6 - Lincoln at home

Thanks Paul, insightful and enjoyable as always, however can I ask about the following paragraph which appears to have been copied & pasted from another website? By ‘us’ presumably you mean Lincoln?

Although Jorge Grant was sold before the year-end, his contract permitted a sale to a Championship club for no upfront fee in the event of us remaining a League 1 club for the 2021/22 season.

Thanks Paul, insightful and enjoyable as always, however can I ask about the following paragraph which appears to have been copied & pasted from another website? By ‘us’ presumably you mean Lincoln?

Although Jorge Grant was sold before the year-end, his contract permitted a sale to a Championship club for no upfront fee in the event of us remaining a League 1 club for the 2021/22 season.
Yes - A quote lifted directly from their published accounts.

Thank you Paul, pretty spot on as usual, although I thought I. The first ten minutes we looked better. Please keep giving us insight into other teams set up and finances if you have time I find it very interesting.

Yes another fine report Paul, thanks again. I do hope KR might read you, he should, but I doubt it. It's also very good to learn more about the football finances.

Enjoyable and accurate, as ever.

Not directly related to your article but mentioned in it, I do have a problem with this trope that we have somehow solidified at the back and if we could just score a goal occasionally all would be well. So far (if you include the cup game) we have played 5 games, conceded 6 goals and kept one clean sheet. So although it *might* be better than last season comparatively, it still isn't solid in any way. If we have sacrificed our attacking threat to try to shore up the defence then all we have done is to ensure we probably have to score twice to win a game while simultaneously reducing the attacking threat to make that hugely less likely - we have scored just one goal from open play.

Not directly related to your article but mentioned in it, I do have a problem with this trope that we have somehow solidified at the back and if we could just score a goal occasionally all would be well. So far (if you include the cup game) we have played 5 games, conceded 6 goals and kept one clean sheet. So although it *might* be better than last season comparatively, it still isn't solid in any way. If we have sacrificed our attacking threat to try to shore up the defence then all we have done is to ensure we probably have to score twice to win a game while simultaneously reducing the attacking threat to make that hugely less likely - we have scored just one goal from open play.
In four games we haven't scored any from open play within the 90 minutes!

Excellent reports as ever Paul B, thank you.

Zero makes some good points here. Given that we haven't played against the best strike forces last season our improvements in defense may be minimal. This isn't a real shock given that its mostly the same players as last season (we have failed to strengthen here almost totally). As for the attack. It does seem we are missing Sykes, or Whyte or both. Our reinforcements here so far haven't meshed in yet (it hasn't helped so many are injured). On the other hand though I still think we have enough good players here and these injured players will eventually return. in the meantime we may need to revamp our system to play to the strengths of what we have left . I'm hopeful Karl will do this after a few more games of trying things his way (he is always slow to find the winning formula).

Currently we need 4 or 5 more players (right back, left back, defensive midfielder, pacy winger, striker) some of this is to cover our sick list. The rest is just the strengthening we already needed.

Our whole off season has been an utter sh show. Our owners need to take a hard look at things. IF they genuinely have ambition to expand the club then we need someone to oversee transfers. IF Karl is to continue he needs to be taking away somewhat from shaping the squad and the transfers.

I don't think by the end of August we will be as poor as we are now (Or at least I'd like to think that) but no matter what Karl is beginning to skate out onto thin ice. he needs a good couple of weeks or he may find the atmosphere reading him is beginning to change. Irrespective of everything though I will be expecting the club to annouce what will be changing regarding recruitment well before the January window.

In the meantime we can do little but hope Karl pulls it together again and enjoy the ride.

Paul, I do admire you having the will to write these reports after a defeat and a poor display. After losing I can't be bothered to even watch the EFL goal highlights.
After winning I will check the tables in the newspaper (yes, I still get one of those delivered!) what are the fixtures the next weekend, if we win how far up the table we could go etc, etc but after a loss I don't bother.
Yes it is all rather depressing (and I'm an optimistic supporter!) Over the last two seasons I felt we had built a certain bespoke footballing culture, good attacking football habits, we had a style of play unique to OUFC, but we seem to have lost all that over the summer and resorted to basic hoof ball accustomed to lower league 1 or league 2.
Looking ahead, the next three (not two) league games are against teams below us - Morecambe, Cheltenham and then Burton ..... it doesn't even bear thinking about.

Paul, I do admire you having the will to write these reports after a defeat and a poor display. After losing I can't be bothered to even watch the EFL goal highlights.
After winning I will check the tables in the newspaper (yes, I still get one of those delivered!) what are the fixtures the next weekend, if we win how far up the table we could go etc, etc but after a loss I don't bother.
Yes it is all rather depressing (and I'm an optimistic supporter!) Over the last two seasons I felt we had built a certain bespoke footballing culture, good attacking football habits, we had a style of play unique to OUFC, but we seem to have lost all that over the summer and resorted to basic hoof ball accustomed to lower league 1 or league 2.
Looking ahead, the next three (not two) league games are against teams below us - Morecambe, Cheltenham and then Burton ..... it doesn't even bear thinking about.
It helps venting my spleen helps.
We record the EFL goal highlights. Deleted without watching. Although I did put myself through it on You Tube.
Like you I pay a lot more attention to the tables after we have won. Usually just a quick glance if that if we have lost.
I'd not looked further ahead than Cheltenham. If we screw those three up I strongly suspect there will be loud calls for Karl's head.

Ditto on the highlights. Don't like them so much anyway now that Colin Murray has gone. But it's a messy format anyway, very little actual play, poor punditry (honourable exception our 'own' George Elek) and ropey camerawork.

Back
Top Bottom