Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.24 - Sheffield Wednesday away

I somehow knew that the Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern would get a mention this week.
Had friends that lived in Sheffield, and it became an annual ritual to go up for an Oxford game somewhere in Yorkshire, and then head back for a curry and an evening in those two pubs.

It's why I put off reading Fan's View until today.....feared that it would cause me to descend into a mess of teary-eyed nostalgia and raging jealousy......

.....and yep, that's a fair approximation of current emotions......

Out of interest and going off on a tangent here but what are pubs/bars like in the US? Never been there but does it have a similar drinking culture to here?

Out of interest and going off on a tangent here but what are pubs/bars like in the US? Never been there but does it have a similar drinking culture to here?

In a word - No.
(Ricky O can probably chime in on this as well)

There is a certain charm in a proper American dive bar; and whilst I would prefer a pint of real ale, there are a lot of great American beers.

But it always feels (to me anyway) like a more intense, less relaxed atmosphere than drinking in a British pub.
Either you're sat at the bar, and it's a Cheers-style hard-drinking public conversation; or you're sat at a table and it's waiter/waitress service and you feel obliged to keep ordering stuff or move on.

It's rare to find an American bar where you and a group of mates can find a corner table and while away a whole afternoon with dumb conversation and a session beer before stumbling home. I miss that very much!

[as an aside, American beer is also a lot punchier! In my drinking heyday, I did the Circle Line pub crawl a couple of times - and 27 pubs over the course of a day is manageable if you're drinking mild or similar. Did a twelve bar crawl when I first got to Philadelphia, and boy was I a mess.......]

In a word - No.

There is a certain charm in a proper American dive bar; and whilst I would prefer a pint of real ale, there are a lot of great American beers.

But it always feels (to me anyway) like a more intense, less relaxed atmosphere than drinking in a British pub.
Either you're sat at the bar, and it's a Cheers-style hard-drinking public conversation; or you're sat at a table and it's waiter/waitress service and you feel obliged to keep ordering stuff or move on.

It's rare to find an American bar where you and a group of mates can find a corner table and while away a whole afternoon with dumb conversation and a session beer before stumbling home. I miss that very much!

[as an aside, American beer is also a lot punchier! In my drinking heyday, I did the Circle Line pub crawl a couple of times - and 27 pubs over the course of a day is manageable if you're drinking mild or similar. Did a twelve bar crawl when I first got to Philadelphia, and boy was I a mess.......]

Cheers, I suppose you can’t really do a pub crawl in a lot of the US with how spread out it is.

In a word - No.

How long have you been in the US Tony and what made you want to go?

How long have you been in the US Tony and what made you want to go?

Been here about eight years now (although I also did another two year stint from 2007-09).

Short answer to the second question is love! My wife is American; we met whilst she was studying in Oxford, and when we decided to get married, for a myriad of complex reasons it made more sense for us to settle over here.......

Cheers, I suppose you can’t really do a pub crawl in a lot of the US with how spread out it is.

Cities are fine - but if you live in a small town, then you're lucky if you have one bar and you're probably driving to it!

(my general European views on not wanting to drive after I've had more than a couple are often viewed as noble but impractical over here!)

Thanks for the write up Paul and Merry Xmas to you and yours. How I wish we could have someone like Paul Moody, Andy Crosby or even Mous to just step up and lash it into the net on a penalty. Maybe Mous should coach someone to do it his way.

Back
Top Bottom