Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.24 - Sheffield Wednesday away

Fine read as ever, Paul. I was unable to watch in person or on a stream which is rather unusual so I've been looking forward to the read!

Very much appreciate the depths you went into with Wednesday's financial position as I was completely ignorant to all of that.

It is good to see we are back to playing some decent football and Eastwood is looking much better.
I thought Sheffield Wednesday looked a poor team, I was expecting much more from a team managed by Darren Moore. His Doncaster teams use to play good football. How the hell are Wednesday 3rd in the league?
This really is a very poor League 1 this season, so far I haven't actually seen a team that is better than us (not yet seen Barnsley or Ipswich) , and if we had a decent squad with enough fit players we could have easily been up there challenging for automatic promotion

It is good to see we are back to playing some decent football and Eastwood is looking much better.
I thought Sheffield Wednesday looked a poor team, I was expecting much more from a team managed by Darren Moore. His Doncaster teams use to play good football. How the hell are Wednesday 3rd in the league?
This really is a very poor League 1 this season, so far I haven't actually seen a team that is better than us (not yet seen Barnsley or Ipswich) , and if we had a decent squad with enough fit players we could have easily been up there challenging for automatic promotion
It's not the strongest L1 we've played in.

Great read as usual and agree wholeheartedly on your pub and pork pie reviews!

The away attendance was even more impressive given the train strikes and the fact there were no trains back after the game to Oxford, London or most other places. I would almost certainly not have gone apart from my cousin was visiting from Australia and I'd already invited him to the game before the strikes were announced.

There were actually two youngsters removed. The second one rather hilariously as they blocked off all escape routes with about 20 stewards. I'm pretty sure they were spotted by CCTV and it wasn't to do with anything that happened in the ground. Their friends mentioned a racist tweet was the reason for the first one, possibly banned from football and weren't spotted at the turnstiles?

We had all sorts of complications with my cousin arriving after half time and needing to collect a ticket. The stewards were the most helpful, chatty and genuine I've ever encountered.

Hmmm. I thought we stopped them scoring because Long was playing at CB instead of Moore.

Long is a much better reader of the game and actually anticipates play, so he's far better against teams that attack on the ground with pace (cf Plymouth at theirs last season). Moore may be more effective against teams that hoist it up at big lumps like himself, maybe.

And a very merry Christmas to you and family @Paul B .
Thanks, as usual for the write up. I must have said this before but, it's always reassuring in a simple manner, to have one's own opinions of a game confirmed!
After the experience of Ipswich away last season, Mrs Lounger and I will not be travelling so next live game for us is not until 29th December. Still, turkey sarnies and a bottle of something probably red, in front of the tv will be very comfortable. Cheers!

And a very merry Christmas to you and family @Paul B .
Thanks, as usual for the write up. I must have said this before but, it's always reassuring in a simple manner, to have one's own opinions of a game confirmed!
After the experience of Ipswich away last season, Mrs Lounger and I will not be travelling so next live game for us is not until 29th December. Still, turkey sarnies and a bottle of something probably red, in front of the tv will be very comfortable. Cheers!
What put you off ML from your previous experience last season? I’ve only been there once but in the heady days of terraces, I did read the legroom is pretty awful.

Hmmm. I thought we stopped them scoring because Long was playing at CB instead of Moore.

Long is a much better reader of the game and actually anticipates play, so he's far better against teams that attack on the ground with pace (cf Plymouth at theirs last season). Moore may be more effective against teams that hoist it up at big lumps like himself, maybe.
We'll never know what would have happened if Moore had played. The point I was trying to make is that we now seem to be in a position where we have players that can slot in when we have injuries without really disrupting things. Looking good. Fully agree about Moore when there are lots of high balls coming in and there's a big centre-forward trying to get on the end of them.

Hadn’t spotted that none of our players were on the follow up to that pen, as you say not very professional.
Wildschut was turned facing the opposite way about 10 yards outside the penalty box as well.
It was a very odd approach by the majority of the team, almost as if they had expected the penalty kick to be the last kick of game.

What put you off ML from your previous experience last season? I’ve only been there once but in the heady days of terraces, I did read the legroom is pretty awful.
Well documented on here at the time. Coming out of the ground we were subjected to a torrent of abuse and threatening behaviour from Ipswich fans. Not young but mature and adult enough to know better. We were made to feel very uncomfortable and Mrs Lounger, in particular, was quite shaken. Given that we are both retired and had not , in any way, offered any provocation, we decided there and then that we would not be returning. This decision was then reinforced by the behaviour of, again, a mature adult who, when crossing the space by the car wash at the Kasstad, deliberately barged into Mrs Lounger. She was sent flying and could have suffered an injury had she fallen. Good for her that she recovered quickly enough to remonstrate with the idiot and luckily for him (and me) stewards arrived before I could lose it completely. Suffice to say, as far as Ipswich are concerned, we won't be travelling. It's a shame because we found a decent enough hotel outside the town and had a very good meal. We'll spend our money eleswhere.

Well documented on here at the time. Coming out of the ground we were subjected to a torrent of abuse and threatening behaviour from Ipswich fans. Not young but mature and adult enough to know better. We were made to feel very uncomfortable and Mrs Lounger, in particular, was quite shaken. Given that we are both retired and had not , in any way, offered any provocation, we decided there and then that we would not be returning. This decision was then reinforced by the behaviour of, again, a mature adult who, when crossing the space by the car wash at the Kasstad, deliberately barged into Mrs Lounger. She was sent flying and could have suffered an injury had she fallen. Good for her that she recovered quickly enough to remonstrate with the idiot and luckily for him (and me) stewards arrived before I could lose it completely. Suffice to say, as far as Ipswich are concerned, we won't be travelling. It's a shame because we found a decent enough hotel outside the town and had a very good meal. We'll spend our money eleswhere.
Sorry to hear that, makes my blood boil that these senseless idiots are still around in this day and age and picking on innocent folk.

Wildschut was turned facing the opposite way about 10 yards outside the penalty box as well.
It was a very odd approach by the majority of the team, almost as if they had expected the penalty kick to be the last kick of game.
Perhaps they had been watching too much World Cup football and thought it was a penalty shoot-out 🤔

Yes ML, any sort of "stewarding" outside Portman Road has been non-existent for a long time - shame for those of us who wanted to go.
Another great review Paul - I fear the money issues at Wednesday will bite them in the bum pretty soon.
Tactics at penalty taking surely needs looking at - but ref should have had it retaken.

Have a very merry Christmas!!

Thanks Paul great review. Mention of the Fat Cat pub reminded me of a time when a family member was at Sheffield Uni so I visited the city a few times. The Fat Cat was a non smoking pub long before the law made smoking in public places illegal. Also it was opposite a small indian restaurant and it was the unofficial waiting room for this restaurant. you would check in at the restaurant and go across the road to the Fat Cat. The curry house would phone the pub to let you know your table was ready.

Thanks Paul great review. Mention of the Fat Cat pub reminded me of a time when a family member was at Sheffield Uni so I visited the city a few times. The Fat Cat was a non smoking pub long before the law made smoking in public places illegal. Also it was opposite a small indian restaurant and it was the unofficial waiting room for this restaurant. you would check in at the restaurant and go across the road to the Fat Cat. The curry house would phone the pub to let you know your table was ready.
How very civilised! This should be adopted by other establishments. :)

Great write-up and some very good points raised. Merry Christmas from New Zealand, Paul B, whoever you are 😺🎅🎄

I somehow knew that the Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern would get a mention this week.
Had friends that lived in Sheffield, and it became an annual ritual to go up for an Oxford game somewhere in Yorkshire, and then head back for a curry and an evening in those two pubs.

It's why I put off reading Fan's View until today.....feared that it would cause me to descend into a mess of teary-eyed nostalgia and raging jealousy......

.....and yep, that's a fair approximation of current emotions......

Back
Top Bottom