Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.18 - Fleetwood at home

This is just revisionism. We’ve played loads of great football over the last three years and were top scorers last season. It’s still not clear why we’ve fallen off a cliff this season
Four reasons maybe 5

Kane,Williams,Mc Nally,Sykes and Whyte

With Browne back and Mc Guane in the holding role I thought it wouldn’t be that different but Kane allowed Brannagan more freedom, not so good against the better teams but my bet is all those games we’ve lost at home we would have won and Sykes and Williams gave us so much more energy when we pressed teams.
Mc Nally is a big loss in that he was able to bring the ball out of defence and Whyte gave us ten or more assists even though he didn’t score many

Four reasons maybe 5

Kane,Williams,Mc Nally,Sykes and Whyte

With Browne back and Mc Guane in the holding role I thought it wouldn’t be that different but Kane allowed Brannagan more freedom, not so good against the better teams but my bet is all those games we’ve lost at home we would have won and Sykes and Williams gave us so much more energy when we pressed teams.
Mc Nally is a big loss in that he was able to bring the ball out of defence and Whyte gave us ten or more assists even though he didn’t score many
We really miss the energy and reliability of Williams and Sykes and the pace and assists of Whyte, but even without the recruitment issues the team has just somehow looked ill at ease since the start of the season. My point though was that you can say we're rubbish now without having to make out we were nearly always rubbish under Robinson.

We really miss the energy and reliability of Williams and Sykes and the pace and assists of Whyte, but even without the recruitment issues the team has just somehow looked ill at ease since the start of the season. My point though was that you can say we're rubbish now without having to make out we were nearly always rubbish under Robinson.
True
Poor recruiting in the last two windows really

This is just revisionism. We’ve played loads of great football over the last three years and were top scorers last season. It’s still not clear why we’ve fallen off a cliff this season
Not sure this is just revisionism tbh. Yes we have played lots of great football. No team plays well all the time that is a given. But truthfully we’ve never been quite good enough defensively nor quite strong enough physically or mentally to get over the line when we’ve faced determined teams like Wycombe and Blackpool who have gone on to the Championship whilst we were left behind.

We should have learned from that and put strategies in place to improve. But we have not. It has never been addressed imho. We needed to add that strength and will to win to our entertaining football. On top of failing to do so – can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives the attacking goal-scoring football has largely disappeared too, particularly at home. (Stating the obvious here). Spaffing money on Sam Baldock and others is part of the problem. Someone is to blame for that. We’re over a third through the league season and Baldock has not kicked a ball. How much have we paid in wages to date for sweet FA? Murphy too. Lessons never learned after Sam Winnall (who amazingly has scored twice this season against Sheffield Wednesday for Burton).

The whole thing is a mess. We’re going backwards.

Not convinced that we’re going backwards Paul.

We played so well against Bolton as an eg. Our away record is currently very good. .

Fact is though many of the excellent denizens of the SSU don’t see away games so I can understand the pain on display.

Anyway, as far as I’m concerned it’s win at Woking or bust for the loquacious maestro.

We played so well against Bolton as an eg. Our away record is currently very good. .

Fact is though many of the excellent denizens of the SSU don’t see away games so I can understand the pain on display.

Anyway, as far as I’m concerned it’s win at Woking or bust for the loquacious maestro.
What is it with this SSU stereotyping? Mrs Lounger and I get to a lot of away games and know many others who do just the same. Indeed, why would that have any effect on our ability to comment on performance?

What concerns me is the first half performances at home.

We go away and we know the opposition will come at us so we‘re ready for that and soak up some pressure then counter attack and we see a whole hearted performance

At home we are so slow and take so long to get going and by then we are a goal or two down. Just don't understand it

What concerns me is the first half performances at home.

We go away and we know the opposition will come at us so we‘re ready for that and soak up some pressure then counter attack and we see a whole hearted performance

At home we are so slow and take so long to get going and by then we are a goal or two down. Just don't understand it
We are very ill disciplined. The ill discipline comes from the top. I am amazed Robbo is not sent to the stands every week. He appears to literally abuse every 4 official week in week out. They may be bad but it is the same for both teams.

What is it with this SSU stereotyping? Mrs Lounger and I get to a lot of away games and know many others who do just the same. Indeed, why would that have any effect on our ability to comment on performance?
]

Fishings good in Oxfordshire as our number 8 will testify. 🎣

Thanks Paul, pleased to see you are back in action and hopefully the rest of family have recovered from Covid.
I was another ST holder who stayed away. No fun travelling on a dark wet November night to watch hoof ball.
Your notes on Fleetwood financials indicate spend on salaries was £6.2M. I guess this includes all staff, so possibly playing staff might be £5m+, which I believe is similar to our spend in 2020/21.
Some people claim on YF we have a top 4 budget, I still reckon we are top 8, but then another 4 clubs very close, so could safely say top 12, but certainly not top 4. So whilst the Sheffield Wed, Boltons, Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Charlton with 10-15k home crowds must have a bigger budget than us, there are several "smaller" perceived clubs like Fleetwood with very similar budgets to us, this would arise from the fact they have much higher "sponsorship" income (from owner's businesses) they fully own the ground, so don't have to pay rent/service charge like us and I guess certain costs are absorbed by the owners' businesses leaving more money from football income to be spent on players wages.

Watching it on ifollow I took a bit notice of how both teams set up when not having the ball.
Fleetwood had a solid structure, clear lines of players that moved in unison covering the whole pitch, with minimal movement they could halt anything we tried to do, they had a consistent pattern which they reverted to when we had the ball, that was well drilled and organised, whereas god knows what structure we had, it has haphazard, no consistent lines of players, it looked more like my subbuteo team from the 70's. The lack of a strong consistent formation and full backs wandering about makes it so easy for the opposition to get through.
... and yet again the first attack, Eastwood is still asleep, and like every home game first shot on target from the opposition leads to a goal. Uphill struggle thereafter. To have 3 goalkeepers but none good enough is a shocking position to be in.

Watching it on ifollow I took a bit notice of how both teams set up when not having the ball.
Fleetwood had a solid structure, clear lines of players that moved in unison covering the whole pitch, with minimal movement they could halt anything we tried to do, they had a consistent pattern which they reverted to when we had the ball, that was well drilled and organised, whereas god knows what structure we had, it has haphazard, no consistent lines of players, it looked more like my subbuteo team from the 70's. The lack of a strong consistent formation and full backs wandering about makes it so easy for the opposition to get through.
... and yet again the first attack, Eastwood is still asleep, and like every home game first shot on target from the opposition leads to a goal. Uphill struggle thereafter. To have 3 goalkeepers but none good enough is a shocking position to be in.
So, change the goalie and everything will be fine.
Nailed on top 6 by April.

Thanks Paul, pleased to see you are back in action and hopefully the rest of family have recovered from Covid.
I was another ST holder who stayed away. No fun travelling on a dark wet November night to watch hoof ball.
Your notes on Fleetwood financials indicate spend on salaries was £6.2M. I guess this includes all staff, so possibly playing staff might be £5m+, which I believe is similar to our spend in 2020/21.
Some people claim on YF we have a top 4 budget, I still reckon we are top 8, but then another 4 clubs very close, so could safely say top 12, but certainly not top 4. So whilst the Sheffield Wed, Boltons, Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Charlton with 10-15k home crowds must have a bigger budget than us, there are several "smaller" perceived clubs like Fleetwood with very similar budgets to us, this would arise from the fact they have much higher "sponsorship" income (from owner's businesses) they fully own the ground, so don't have to pay rent/service charge like us and I guess certain costs are absorbed by the owners' businesses leaving more money from football income to be spent on players wages.

Only Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday spent more than us in fees this summer in League 1.

Damming stat that.

(Wildschut/Findlay/Anderson/McGinty) (Joseph/Bate loan fees)

Also don’t forget fees in January.

(Browne/Smyth)
(C’Brown loan fee)

Agree away record is currently good over the last three games. And not bad at all overall – joint 6th best on points per game basis.

But the way things are going at present that will be good enough to keep us up not get us into the top six such is our rank awful home form. Only Fleetwood, Morecambe, MK Dons and Lincoln (who are unbeaten at Sincil Bank) have achieved fewer points per game at home.

Based on that my conclusion is still that we’re going backwards.

It could be argued that this is a continuing trend: 2019/20 – losing play-off finalists. 2020/21 – losing play-off semi-finalists. 2021/22 – finished 8th although we did win two more points than the previous season.

Only Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday spent more than us in fees this summer in League 1.

Damming stat that.

(Wildschut/Findlay/Anderson/McGinty) (Joseph/Bate loan fees)

Also don’t forget fees in January.

(Browne/Smyth)
(C’Brown loan fee)
and a few have spent less and are better than us

Yes the salaries spend is all staff. That was the reason I started researching this kind of thing many years ago because we had some ill informed blinkered supporters who assumed we had larger playing budgets than some supposed smaller clubs and should therefore be beating them easily.

What a sobering read. We’re a long, long way from the Appleton era and the particular pride we all felt in our club’s professionalism then, aren’t we?

This Blog post should be read carefully by the CEO - he needs to understand how low standards have slipped on and off the pitch.

Many of our voices are articulate and considered. We’re not just impatient fools who constantly think the sky is falling in.

The rot has well and truly set in and the club need to take action. I’ve used the word “sleepwalking” so often on here this season. But it’s not just about the risk of relegation - we’re becoming a zombie like club with no identity, no spark, no enjoyment.

It won’t end well if things are left to stagnate further.

What a sobering read. We’re a long, long way from the Appleton era and the particular pride we all felt in our club’s professionalism then, aren’t we?

This Blog post should be read carefully by the CEO - he needs to understand how low standards have slipped on and off the pitch.

Many of our voices are articulate and considered. We’re not just impatient fools who constantly think the sky is falling in.

The rot has well and truly set in and the club need to take action. I’ve used the word “sleepwalking” so often on here this season. But it’s not just about the risk of relegation - we’re becoming a zombie like club with no identity, no spark, no enjoyment.

👏🏼

• React
Reactions: MJB

Absolutely! One can only hope the CEO understands the depression this club is slipping into. As MJB says, there are many articulate and intelligent posters on here who have valid criticisms and should be listened to.

• React
Reactions: MJB

How you don’t think we’re going backwards is beyond me!

Back
Top Bottom