Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.41 - Northampton away

If MApp was at the game last night, this mornings team talk would have been along the lines of "No need to worry about tactics, take the next two days off and I'll see you Friday. Oh, and if you can't make it, don't worry - I'll only need six or seven of you"....
Yeah that's our cunning plan!!!!

So they may or not turn us over based on the last 2 games but what about Doncaster,play like that will Lincoln compete? Works both ways surely
About Donny - their defence was shocking. If Lincoln's is as bad then we will have a reasonable chance. We have not beaten a good side that have played well against us this season that I can recall.

Again we win we were lucky then .Blackpool were good at the press and got praise for their approach.. We do the same to Donny yet the opponents were poor.

So if we're a poor side why the praise for Blackpool on here as they only beat a poor mid table side with a useless manager no?

Again we win we were lucky then .Blackpool were good at the press and got praise for their approach.. We do the same to Donny yet the opponents were poor.

So if we're a poor side why the praise for Blackpool on here as they only beat a poor mid table side with a useless manager no?

Where has anyone said we were lucky against Donny. I will though - we were lucky because they were so crap at the back. (I'm joking, actually) We played well against them. Pretty sure there was praise for us when we beat them. (I've just checked what I wrote at the time - "This was quite possibly our best display of the season." Certainly no mention from me that we were lucky. Must have been someone else unless it was just a dream.

Blackpool deserved praise for beating us. But I don't think that was over the top from anyone.

Still waiting for the example from this season when we've beaten one of the very best sides when they've been on form.

Last edited:
If you’re correct in that, where does the buck stop? Is the recruitment team good enough? Is it management? Coaching? Mentality? A little bit of everything?

One thing I will say is that I’ve seen a lot of little mentions creeping in lately of shoestring budgets. We have got a very, very decent budget for this division. It’s absolutely not true that we are mid-table at best. We are right around the line of the top third, which is about 8th. Winnall ain’t cheap. Taylor ain’t cheap. Lee ain’t cheap. Shodipo ain’t cheap. Barker ain’t cheap. Kelly ain’t cheap. Brannagan ain’t cheap. Henry ain’t cheap. McGuane ain’t cheap. Agyei came from a PL club on a three year deal; ditto Moore. Hanson is on big wages after costing several hundred grand in fees. Eastwood got a new three year deal when he was POTY and attracting Championship interest. We’ve got the resources to not still be sitting here asking if the players are good enough. Either they are and we aren’t getting the best out of them, or they aren’t and we’re wasting time and money on bad judgement.

I wish I had Paul’s ability to be level-headed and appear calm even in the heat of the moment.
I'd say some poor judgement , some bad luck with players not delivering what is expected and the fact that other clubs also have some impressive squads and players .

I'd say some poor judgement , some bad luck with players not delivering what is expected and the fact that other clubs also have some impressive squads and players .
Damn those other clubs having impressive squads and players.

I think I have also just about reached the 'saving a tenner' stage unfortunately. It was like paying to be repeatedly poked in the eyes with a sharp stick. And then to be told afterwards that we had done well to contain Northampton to 0-0 at half time and not only that - it was the plan! That just about took the biscuit. The whole packet. And the biscuit tin as well.

I think I have also just about reached the 'saving a tenner' stage unfortunately. It was like paying to be repeatedly poked in the eyes with a sharp stick. And then to be told afterwards that we had done well to contain Northampton to 0-0 at half time and not only that - it was the plan! That just about took the biscuit. The whole packet. And the biscuit tin as well.
I’m even thinking I could watch Gogglebox with my amusing wife on Friday rather than suffer Lincoln!

I took the listening option,it doesnt make it less painful. You cant rate the players its hard to make judgements and contribute to threads like this. I am dreading friday but as I have sky I will watch from behind the sofa!

Damn those other clubs having impressive squads and players.
We have reached our ' level ' with the current set up where other clubs either play in a much more impressive Stadium , pay more money in wages and have better recent histories in the game . We can still challenge and get promoted its just not a gimme .
For us to be a top 10 League 1 club isn't a reason to sack a manager .
Now if the takeover promises what it should then of course ambitions and expectations will be raised .
We do need to not have many more performances like Tuesday though as that was poor.

It’s been an interesting season to date and not unenjoyable .Do hope that that the wheels haven’t come off though.

Usually get over defeats quite quickly but not Tuesday’s truly pathetic offering.

Uncharitable souls might point at a very unsuccessful January transfer window as being a turning point.

It’s been an interesting season to date and not unenjoyable .Do hope that that the wheels haven’t come off though.

Usually get over defeats quite quickly but not Tuesday’s truly pathetic offering.

Uncharitable souls might point at a very unsuccessful January transfer window as being a turning point.
If it's done that to even you Tim then we are in a bad way at the moment.

We have reached our ' level ' with the current set up where other clubs either play in a much more impressive Stadium , pay more money in wages and have better recent histories in the game . We can still challenge and get promoted its just not a gimme .
For us to be a top 10 League 1 club isn't a reason to sack a manager .
Now if the takeover promises what it should then of course ambitions and expectations will be raised .
We do need to not have many more performances like Tuesday though as that was poor.
Some clubs have much better grounds than the one we rent. Highly impressive ones. Compared to some others (quite a few actually) I don't think we're that badly off even if we are lacking an end. Accrington. Northampton. Burton. Fleetwood. Gillingham. Crewe. But yes it's the Sunderland's and Hull's etc. that are way ahead in that regard. Wycombe are in the Championship though and Bournemouth who were Premier League until this season have a smaller capacity than ours I believe.
I don't think we are skimping on the wages. Thing is the accounts for this season won't surface for another year or whatever so comparisons can't be made now only informed guesses.
If it was just about impressive stadiums, wages and recent history Accrington probably wouldn't even be in the Football League.

Some clubs have much better grounds than the one we rent. Highly impressive ones. Compared to some others (quite a few actually) I don't think we're that badly off even if we are lacking an end. Accrington. Northampton. Burton. Fleetwood. Gillingham. Crewe. But yes it's the Sunderland's and Hull's etc. that are way ahead in that regard. Wycombe are in the Championship though and Bournemouth who were Premier League until this season have a smaller capacity than ours I believe.
I don't think we are skimping on the wages. Thing is the accounts for this season won't surface for another year or whatever so comparisons can't be made now only informed guesses.
If it was just about impressive stadiums, wages and recent history Accrington probably wouldn't even be in the Football League.
Yes but when signing player's it all helps decide who to sign for .
Our stadium is embarrassing tbh and coupled with being offered higher wages to live in a cheaper part of the Country it must make recruitment harder.
We are not skimping on wages but are also not in the top 6 ....so where are we expecting to be .
Yes Wycombe fluked their way into the championship with a style I would never , ever want to see us play .
Bournemouth pay big wages.

Quite right Paul. It makes all this talk of comparison superfluous. We could be paying the highest wages, have the biggest budget, have a no injuries at all, play in a 50,000 capacity stadium (I wish!) but, if how we play is just not good enough to beat the opposition, what would be the point?

On wages:

I've been thinking about the supposition that we are about 8th in terms of squad budget and trying to put it into context. Here's my guess at how things might be. (and it is absolutely an uninformed guess!)

You've got those who you know will be bigger:

Sunderland
Hull
Ipswich
Portsmouth
Charlton

Then the chasing pack: (which would include us)

Peterborough
Doncaster
Blackpool
MK Dons
Plymouth
Plymouth?
Bristol Rovers?
Fleetwood?

Then those who you'd assume would be comfortably smaller:

Accrington
Burton
Wimbledon
Rochdale
Shrewsbury
Northampton

The outright basket cases:

Swindon
Wigan

And those who I really don't have a clue about:

Gillingham
Lincoln

(Teams within groups not intended to be in any kind of order)

Thoughts? @RyanioBirdio , your thoughts would be particularly welcome!

Quite right Paul. It makes all this talk of comparison superfluous. We could be paying the highest wages, have the biggest budget, have a no injuries at all, play in a 50,000 capacity stadium (I wish!) but, if how we play is just not good enough to beat the opposition, what would be the point?
With better wages come better players who can play the way required .
Any league generally the bigger clubs who attract the better players are the more successful ones .

Yes but when signing player's it all helps decide who to sign for .
Our stadium is embarrassing tbh and coupled with being offered higher wages to live in a cheaper part of the Country it must make recruitment harder.
We are not skimping on wages but are also not in the top 6 ....so where are we expecting to be .
Yes Wycombe fluked their way into the championship with a style I would never , ever want to see us play .
Bournemouth pay big wages.
Not sure about the stadium to be as embarrassing as some make out but I agree with three sides only it ain't great.
I too would not want to see the Wycombe style at the Kassam. But the point is small clubs with grounds that I consider to be worse than ours and will have had smaller budgets have made the step up. In Wycombe's case for one season only by the look of it. Burton, a tiny club by comparison to us, stayed up for a couple of years.
No surprise Bournemouth pay big wages they were in the Premier League last season. It would be interesting to see what wages they were paying when they got out of L1 back in 2012/13 compared to rivals. Still have a little ground though.

Based on your post T/B/J surprising the likes of Roofe, Maguire and Browne ever came anywhere near our club. :)

Back
Top Bottom