Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.22 - Northampton at home

At half time I thought surely, it has to be Anthony Forde at right back (SL to CH) I was still moaning, when we scored the first goal, about Clare coming on as RB, a defensive calamity waiting to happen, thinking well we are not going to win this now, what is KR thinking etc.
Has Anthony Forde upset KR? I really rate AF, good footballer, can play in a few positions, great dead ball taker, appears to understand the game. A solid average-good League 1 player that is perfect for a club like Oxford on a long term basis. Not a super star that will be sold, but just a solid member of a squad. It would be a shame if he decides to move on at end of his two year contract.
My suspicion is that he won't be offered a further contract.
He started the season very well but was signed as a right sided player and Henry is better than him.
He is a decent right back cover but KR made absolutely the right decision on tuesday

My suspicion is that he won't be offered a further contract.
He started the season very well but was signed as a right sided player and Henry is better than him.
He is a decent right back cover but KR made absolutely the right decision on tuesday

Plus if a contracted Jamie Hanson proves himself over the rest of this season then he can do the utility job as well and our squad size will be 2 less going down to 20 (which is further madness with a salary cap) something will have to give and it would be Forde being out of contract.

If Atkinson is fit, then I think it’s clear that Long is our best RB. Been outstanding this season.

If Atkinson isn’t fit, and Long has to shift over to CB, then I’d go for a horses-for-courses approach. Against the dregs, Clare could be great at RB. A real attacking threat as long as the opposition aren’t posing many questions. Against good teams, we need more solidity than he can provide so then I’d go with Forde.

That being said, other than the Doncaster game, it’s mostly dregs for the next six weeks.......

If Atkinson is fit, then I think it’s clear that Long is our best RB. Been outstanding this season.

If Atkinson isn’t fit, and Long has to shift over to CB, then I’d go for a horses-for-courses approach. Against the dregs, Clare could be great at RB. A real attacking threat as long as the opposition aren’t posing many questions. Against good teams, we need more solidity than he can provide so then I’d go with Forde.

That being said, other than the Doncaster game, it’s mostly dregs for the next six weeks.......
It was similar with George Baldock, we realised he needed a defensive winger alongside him hence Alex McDonald. If you play Clare at right back you need somebody like Forde as the winger. You need to pick teams with balance not some attacking gung ho madness. Totally agree about your dregs comment though.

I really don't think the words "Clare, great and RB" could ever go together!
I think the appropriate phrase is - Against the dregs we could take a calculated risk of playing Clare at RB.
If ever there is square peg, round hole this is it.
Clare is a brilliant attacking midfielder and a valued member of the team. I rate him highly in that role.
Historically, we seem to have a terrible record at home against teams struggling at the bottom of the table hence we should not not take these games for granted and we go in to these games with a sound back 4.

I really don't think the words "Clare, great and RB" could ever go together!
I think the appropriate phrase is - Against the dregs we could take a calculated risk of playing Clare at RB.
If ever there is square peg, round hole this is it.
Clare is a brilliant attacking midfielder and a valued member of the team. I rate him highly in that role.
A 'brilliant attacking midfielder ' Really? Based on what?
If he was that brilliant he should presumably be a shoe ahead of Henry?

Back
Top Bottom