Fan's View Fan's View 20/21 - No.41 - Northampton away

It's not possible to disagree with a word written.
It's depressing enough not to have travelled to see a game, to sit through the game at home with a pizza and a bottle of wine ought to have been close to being ok but, no. That was appalling, pathetic and depressing - something all of us can do without right now.

Come Friday, we can do the same with multiple camera angles and properly timed replays and expert opinions from commentators that might know the difference between a corner and a throw in - Mr Cooper!
That will be exciting, won't it?

Too restrained, Paul! I would disagree with one aspect: the quality of the players. There is plenty of talent there, but the manager has not a clue how to make them effective as a unit. KR is arrogant enough to believe the current run of results (how many wins in the last ten matches?!) is not his fault. Team selection was wrong, the tactics were wrong and the motivation was completely lacking. Those are HIS issues. He should go now. Sheffield; you can have him.

Too restrained, Paul! I would disagree with one aspect: the quality of the players. There is plenty of talent there, but the manager has not a clue how to make them effective as a unit. KR is arrogant enough to believe the current run of results (how many wins in the last ten matches?!) is not his fault. Team selection was wrong, the tactics were wrong and the motivation was completely lacking. Those are HIS issues. He should go now. Sheffield; you can have him.
I'm really not sure the talent is there tbh .

I'm really not sure the talent is there tbh .
If you’re correct in that, where does the buck stop? Is the recruitment team good enough? Is it management? Coaching? Mentality? A little bit of everything?

One thing I will say is that I’ve seen a lot of little mentions creeping in lately of shoestring budgets. We have got a very, very decent budget for this division. It’s absolutely not true that we are mid-table at best. We are right around the line of the top third, which is about 8th. Winnall ain’t cheap. Taylor ain’t cheap. Lee ain’t cheap. Shodipo ain’t cheap. Barker ain’t cheap. Kelly ain’t cheap. Brannagan ain’t cheap. Henry ain’t cheap. McGuane ain’t cheap. Agyei came from a PL club on a three year deal; ditto Moore. Hanson is on big wages after costing several hundred grand in fees. Eastwood got a new three year deal when he was POTY and attracting Championship interest. We’ve got the resources to not still be sitting here asking if the players are good enough. Either they are and we aren’t getting the best out of them, or they aren’t and we’re wasting time and money on bad judgement.

I wish I had Paul’s ability to be level-headed and appear calm even in the heat of the moment.

As far as tonight's abysmal performance goes, for KR to come on the radio and say he was happy at half-time, and at 60 minutes in, with 0-0 as that was where they WANTED to be, was astounding. If that is the instruction and mentality he is imparting to the players, then no wonder they played so devoid of any noticeable attacking intent.

The handbrake was certainly back on, and deliberately so it would seem.

I'm not saying all players lack the quality needed but some certainly do. Too many for us to be able to mount a proper challenge.
Also I'm not one that is usually very vocal wanting a manager to go. For the most part I've been pro KR. But after today for me the amount of plus points in his account has diminished. And I couldn't bear to hear any post match interviews / comments.

If you’re correct in that, where does the buck stop? Is the recruitment team good enough? Is it management? Coaching? Mentality? A little bit of everything?

One thing I will say is that I’ve seen a lot of little mentions creeping in lately of shoestring budgets. We have got a very, very decent budget for this division. It’s absolutely not true that we are mid-table at best. We are right around the line of the top third, which is about 8th. Winnall ain’t cheap. Taylor ain’t cheap. Lee ain’t cheap. Shodipo ain’t cheap. Barker ain’t cheap. Kelly ain’t cheap. Brannagan ain’t cheap. Henry ain’t cheap. McGuane ain’t cheap. Agyei came from a PL club on a three year deal; ditto Moore. Hanson is on big wages after costing several hundred grand in fees. Eastwood got a new three year deal when he was POTY and attracting Championship interest. We’ve got the resources to not still be sitting here asking if the players are good enough. Either they are and we aren’t getting the best out of them, or they aren’t and we’re wasting time and money on bad judgement.

I wish I had Paul’s ability to be level-headed and appear calm even in the heat of the moment.
"Winnall ain’t cheap. Taylor ain’t cheap. Lee ain’t cheap. Shodipo ain’t cheap. Barker ain’t cheap. Kelly ain’t cheap. Brannagan ain’t cheap. Henry ain’t cheap. McGuane ain’t cheap. Agyei came from a PL club on a three year deal; ditto Moore. Hanson is on big wages after costing several hundred grand in fees. Eastwood got a new three year."

And there we have it - if McGuane had not been injured and had continued to play as he had done before that injury I'd say great vfm. As for the rest some nearly okay but some completely spaffed up the wall.

Good read and reflected life at EY Towers.... without the beer, it`s a school night!

Well said Paul, as per usual. Bloody torture indeed, pathetic, depressing, abysmal. What the f has happened since our "good run"? Or was that just an illusion, when our not much better than average players for this level played out of their skins against a string of poor sides and rode our luck?

I'd love to see how some of our players would play under a different manager. Brannagan, Agyei and Gorrin, to name three. And Kelly, just for interest's sake. Also weirdly Anthony Forde as well. I still see a really good player in there who could be a real asset, but he's used as a back-up or left on the bench.

As it is, we're stuck with KR...and so are the players.

Well said Paul, as per usual. Bloody torture indeed, pathetic, depressing, abysmal. What the f has happened since our "good run"? Or was that just an illusion, when our not much better than average players for this level played out of their skins against a string of poor sides and rode our luck?
The question asked at the time was - could we do it against the best teams. The answer we now know is an emphatic - NO. We can't now regularly do it against the poorer teams of which we clearly are one ourselves.

I'd love to see how some of our players would play under a different manager. Brannagan, Agyei and Gorrin, to name three. And Kelly, just for interest's sake. Also weirdly Anthony Forde as well. I still see a really good player in there who could be a real asset, but he's used as a back-up or left on the bench.

As it is, we're stuck with KR...and so are the players.
I agree. KR is surely not getting the best from our talented players. Take Barker as an example: heralded as a superstar in the making; played at a high level; pacey as hell; bags of potential. And now he is , er .... well, you tell me. No doubt in a year’s time, as a Rangers first team regular, he will look back on his time under Robinson and wonder why he wasted six months with a clueless manager who developed him not one iota.

I agree. KR is surely not getting the best from our talented players. Take Barker as an example: heralded as a superstar in the making; played at a high level; pacey as hell; bags of potential. And now he is , er .... well, you tell me. No doubt in a year’s time, as a Rangers first team regular, he will look back on his time under Robinson and wonder why he wasted six months with a clueless manager who developed him not one iota.

I don't think the latter will happen.

I must admit both the highly praised signing of both barker,lee and Grayson have yet to convince me as being what was needed, last nights team selection didn’t inspire me prior to the game and as the game went on it became more difficult to listen to, too many players yet again not playing to their potential, I still can’t understand what KR saw in Sam winnal and what he would bring to the team , what we clearly didn’t need is a player too similar to Taylor as option B player, one up front hasn’t worked so far for me, it’s all too comfortable for central defenders against what’s on offer

Yes, agree entirely with your sentiments Paul. Last night was almost as depressing as the famous Sw****n game. If KR tells his players to just "contain" their opponents for 60 minutes, what sort of message is that? A bloody depressing one especially when it comes to 'hand brakes'!
He admittedly sees all the players from day to day in training but why is he screaming instructions at them from the first minute of every match? Empty grounds mean you can hear him every time.
I fear for us on Friday - MAPP will have the Imps revved up.

If MApp was at the game last night, this mornings team talk would have been along the lines of "No need to worry about tactics, take the next two days off and I'll see you Friday. Oh, and if you can't make it, don't worry - I'll only need six or seven of you"....

As it is, we're stuck with KR...and so are the player

If MApp was at the game last night, this mornings team talk would have been along the lines of "No need to worry about tactics, take the next two days off and I'll see you Friday. Oh, and if you can't make it, don't worry - I'll only need six or seven of you"....
or perhaps we (Lincoln) will need to be at our best as they had an off day Tuesday but will be fired up raring to go,

Back
Top Bottom