Fan Engagement Plan

It's like reading stuff from FoSB on here at times!

OUSP are completely independent of the club, always have been, always will be. Of course they work alongside the club on various issues, in the same way that OxVox does. You only have to look at the minutes from every meeting to see that OUSP have challenged the club on the make up of the Fan Engagement Board. They were also pushing for a fans forum and helped set the recent one up, all alongside OxVox. It was Janine (OUSP Secretary) that sourced and managed the live feed. And at the fans forum they panel joked about being held to account by OUSP on everything. The idea that the Supporters Panel is in cahoots with the management team is not only ridiculously untrue, but is also disrespectful to those who campaign endlessly on behalf of other fans.

OUSP representatives are democratically elected in the same way OxVox representatives are. Unfortunately there hasn't berm enough interest to warrant an election for either OUSP or OxVox in recent years. OUSP have a meeting next week to discuss future elections, and once announced I'd encourage everyone interested to apply so that an election is possible, even if that means that others replace me.

You may well have different opinions as to the value of OUSP and/or OxVox, and the structure of any future Fan Engagement boards, but please stop using things that are clearly untrue to justify your reasons.

Wrong.

Well;

The club fund OUSP by providing facilities (provision of meeting rooms and hosting of web content) and promote OUSP's activities with press releases and such like.

I doubt an independent-minded organisation would have the same access to club staff, but that's conjecture and may be justified since OUSP is to some extent out-sourcing work that should be done by the club itself.

The club provided the training ground pavilion for meetings only when club officials were attending. That is no longer available due to flood damage at the training ground that has affected a number of buildings.

All subsequent meetings have been conducted online, as were several other meetings prior to the floods.

I don't tend to see official releases from the club regarding OUSP as I'm already involved. However, to my knowledge, the only posts are regarding the release of minutes, notifications about elections/results, and any fan engagement events that are scheduled before games with the panel.

Others will have their opinions, but I don't feel that either of these detract from the independence of the panel.

OUSP are completely independent of the club, always have been, always will be. Of course they work alongside the club on various issues, in the same way that OxVox does. You only have to look at the minutes from every meeting to see that OUSP have challenged the club on the make up of the Fan Engagement Board. They were also pushing for a fans forum and helped set the recent one up, all alongside OxVox. It was Janine (OUSP Secretary) that sourced and managed the live feed. And at the fans forum they panel joked about being held to account by OUSP on everything. The idea that the Supporters Panel is in cahoots with the management team is not only ridiculously untrue, but is also disrespectful to those who campaign endlessly on behalf of other fans.

OUSP representatives are democratically elected in the same way OxVox representatives are. Unfortunately there hasn't berm enough interest to warrant an election for either OUSP or OxVox in recent years. OUSP have a meeting next week to discuss future elections, and once announced I'd encourage everyone interested to apply so that an election is possible, even if that means that others replace me.

You may well have different opinions as to the value of OUSP and/or OxVox, and the structure of any future Fan Engagement boards, but please stop using things that are clearly untrue to justify your reasons.

The idea at the start was the Clubs.
The panel construct mirrors the early steps required in the Crouch report.
The panel will be a part of the FAB.
The FAB is the end result that the club wants with "customers" having a diluted voice.

The FAB WILL happen because the Club want it and they will find enough people to fill it.

You may think you are independent, but you are being played by the clubs desire to be "more corporate".

Regarding OxVox and OUSP not raising enough interest for people to volunteer the overwhelming majority of folk won't have the time to do it, much the same as many voluntary organisations.

Volunteers are absolute gold dust and every single one, no matter what they do, is to be applauded

However, to truly represent the supporters, we need one strong organisation and one strong voice that is a single point of contact for volunteers and fans alike.

See what the Club would do if a recently created concept were to turn around and say - "We don't want an FAB and we are all off to OxVox so engage with them"

Selective as ever, but I would suggest using your time & energy in a way that is independent of the club construct, rather than being the grease on the wheels to the "Top 30 Corporate train".

Break the mould - resign en masse and volunteer for OxVox. :)

Selective as ever, but I would suggest using your time & energy in a way that is independent of the club construct, rather than being the grease on the wheels to the "Top 30 Corporate train".

Break the mould - resign en masse and volunteer for OxVox. :)

Thanks for applauding this valuable work!

What you never seem to answer is why OUSP volunteers doing their work under OxVox would be any worse, are you able to share your opinion on this? Seems to me you make everyone happy by still providing the same things, and also make those wary of OUSP being closer to OUFC satisfied that you're completely independent (your arguments that they are don't seem to have convinced people).

The only argument I have heard is that OxVox is for the members, but I can all but guarantee OxVox would not have an issue with a matchday arm that allows non-members to raise issues too, after all, it would increase their visibility and likely attract more members to join once they see the value, this makes OxVox stronger as a result.

As for FAB, another watering down of what already exists in my opinion, we don't need more organisations, we need more action.

What you never seem to answer is why OUSP volunteers doing their work under OxVox would be any worse, are you able to share your opinion on this? Seems to me you make everyone happy by still providing the same things, and also make those wary of OUSP being closer to OUFC satisfied that you're completely independent (your arguments that they are don't seem to have convinced people).

The only argument I have heard is that OxVox is for the members, but I can all but guarantee OxVox would not have an issue with a matchday arm that allows non-members to raise issues too, after all, it would increase their visibility and likely attract more members to join once they see the value, this makes OxVox stronger as a result.

As for FAB, another watering down of what already exists in my opinion, we don't need more organisations, we need more action.

The simple answer, and I've given this before, is that there is no structure within OxVox for a second branch. Its not for me to tell them how they should operate or whether they would want to have another 9 volunteers that potentially dilutes both roles.

Have you put this question to OxVox? If not, there is an AGM due anytime soon so maybe you can ask the question then.

Have you put this question to OxVox? If not, there is an AGM due anytime soon so maybe you can ask the question then.
I can ask the question, but it's important to know if OUSP would support such a move otherwise all you do is create division.

So, as a current member of OUSP, would you support OxVox creating such a branch that replicates the work done by OUSP and allow current OUSP members to do the same work they do now?

I can ask the question, but it's important to know if OUSP would support such a move otherwise all you do is create division.

So, as a current member of OUSP, would you support OxVox creating such a branch that replicates the work done by OUSP and allow current OUSP members to do the same work they do now?

I'm happy as I am, whilst also being a life member of OxVox and working closely with them, not least in facilitating the fans forum only a few days ago.

You're the one that is suggesting a merger, so with respect, that's for you to take forward.

So no, you wouldn't support it? Intriguing
That's not what I said, and I'd expect a moderator not to deliberately try to twist what I've posted.

There is no proposal to change either structure, so I remain happy doing what I am, whilst also supporting OxVox as a life member and practically like we did on Thursday night.

If a proposal is made to merge both organisations then I and others can look at it at make a judgement on whether we think that it adds value to the existing structure or dilutes what we currently have.

It's really as simple as that no matter how much you try to create division where none exists.

That's not what I said, and I'd expect a moderator not to deliberately try to twist what I've posted.
Pay attention to the question mark, I haven't twisted anything, no need to be so defensive, just as you post on here as yourself, not as OUSP, I post on here as myself, not as Yellowsforum 😀

Also, you said you were happy as you were, quite easy to think that would mean you don't want it.

It's really as simple as that no matter how much you try to create division where none exists.
Creating division? I know you don't like my opinion because you take it as a criticism of yourself or the work you contribute towards, which it most definitely is not, but there is very little that is divisive about what I have said, I think OUSP weakens the voice of OxVox, FAB goes even further, I'm quite entitled to have, and share this opinion, and it seems quite a lot of others share my opinion too.

Suggesting the activities of OxVox and OUSP merge is a completely logical and well intentioned suggestion.

There is no proposal to change either structure, so I remain happy doing what I am, whilst also supporting OxVox as a life member and practically like we did on Thursday night.

If a proposal is made to merge both organisations then I and others can look at it at make a judgement on whether we think that it adds value to the existing structure or dilutes what we currently have.

Point 1. "adds value".......... to what exactly. What measures do OUSP use to gauge success? If its number of people wanting to join the party then that is failing miserably. OxVox can simply point to the number of members and the feedback they get which is far more engaged/connected with the fan base than the Club or OUSP.

Point 2. Wouldn`t be a debate if the instigators of OUSP had initially turned around and said "Sorry, we don`t like the idea as it stands but we will run with it under the umbrella of the existing independent supporters group".

It would also have helped if the people involved had read & understood the Crouch report and worked out what the Club wanted to create.

This is the summary of Fan Engagement in the Crouch Report:

"Chapter 7 sets out the Review’s conclusion that each club be required to have a ‘Shadow Board’ of elected supporter representatives which would be consulted by the club on all material off pitch matters. The mechanism for selecting the Shadow Board members should be independent of the club, and result in members from a cross section of the supporter base. In order to allow full discussion, the members of the Shadow Board should be subject to suitable confidentiality obligations though these obligations should allow members of the Shadow Board to discuss most matters, although not confidential items including financial matters, with the wider fan base."

Difficult to see how this differs from OxVox, which has a funding structure and Web presence that are separate from the club.

Why would the club set up something different unless they were outsourcing work they should be doing anyway (OUSP) or because they want to control it?

How does the proposed FAB meet the criteria for a "Shadow Board"?

Last edited:
The club have been very clever with their creation of OUSP & how they’ve gone about having individuals represent OUSP who feel like they need to be on it to feel important.

This is the summary of Fan Engagement in the Crouch Report:

"Chapter 7 sets out the Review’s conclusion that each club be required to have a ‘Shadow Board’ of elected supporter representatives which would be consulted by the club on all material off pitch matters. The mechanism for selecting the Shadow Board members should be independent of the club, and result in members from a cross section of the supporter base. In order to allow full discussion, the members of the Shadow Board should be subject to suitable confidentiality obligations though these obligations should allow members of the Shadow Board to discuss most matters, although not confidential items including financial matters, with the wider fan base."

Difficult to see how this differs from OxVox, which has a funding structure and Web presence that are separate from the club.

Why would the club set up something different unless they were outsourcing work they should be doing anyway (OUSP) or because they want to control it?

How does the proposed FAB meet the criteria for a "Shadow Board"?

The club can`t control/manoeuvre OxVox.

Unlike OUSP which is a club construct now guided by the Club.

The firmest message the fans could send to the Club would be "You want a FAB then talk to OxVox about the ToR/ make up etc"

As it stands we will end up with a very weak group of folk who tick all the EDI boxes but will be called the FAB and manipulated by the Club.

If OUSP quit en masse they can still volunteer to do the matchday niceties and supporter engagement/relations/issues etc as part of OxVox.

I`m pretty sure OxVox could embrace a few more volunteers in a "Supporter Contact" role.

Back
Top Bottom