Fan Engagement Plan

Not sure if you attended , but there were lots of opportunities to challange this engagement plan and no one said a f#king thing.
I was there- it was on my list of unasked qs - like @Manorlounger I asked/ commented earlish on, and was then at the back of the queue - Ive emailed my unaskedQ's from last night to @OxVox

It's all good and well, but other than a yearly event how much of this will actually make a difference for your average fan?

Having boards, panels, meetings etc is completely pointless unless it actually translates into direct action being taken to improve fan experience.

Do we trust those running the club to actually take heed of any of the things raised? Or is this just a token response to stop the complaints about how fans are being treated?
I suggest you have to get enagaged with it and try and make it work, the door has been opened and the club want to put in a structure of communication that is proffesional and can be judged...what do we have at the moment ? ... why is it wrong for the club to want to control communication and make it meaningful and accurate, what we have at the moment are leaks and so called ITK, drip feeding a personal view point and normally with an agenda...they said on Thursday OxVox are invited to be involved and hold them to account, if OxVox refuse then that will tell me more about them than the club...OxVox circulated the engagement plan over a week ago and came across as critical of it without expaining why, as a member of OxVox I wrote to them that same day asking for their view on why they didn't see this as the way forward...no repsonse as yet...not a great look when they are critiquing communication.

Very little opportunity to do so. I had my hand raised and numerous questions but, having had my go with a question, I was at the back of the queue. There is a feedback request via the club website, I would suggest you utilise that, as I will later today.
I did have a brief word with Janine of the OUSP who seemed to think it might work. I am not convinced. My own thoughts are that the models to follow would be the examples of Brentford and Reading - the latter has obvious motivation, the former has a very popular and engaged set up.

Still better would be to make use of the existing organisations.
Have to disagree about opportunity to ask...people chose to ask primarily about the stadium , both supporters groups were there and one of them with a microphone...existing organisations can link in with this structure and I cant see a problem with that...the club were open to tweaking and letting it evolve , so for fans to dismiss the idea as a bad one seems a tad churlish...or perhaps it more fun to shout and throw stones from the outside .

You seem to put a lot of questions back on the fans? Any reason for this?
Your postings come across how Adam Benson would respond. Any close links to him?

I suggest you have to get enagaged with it and try and make it work, the door has been opened and the club want to put in a structure of communication that is proffesional and can be judged...what do we have at the moment ? ... why is it wrong for the club to want to control communication and make it meaningful and accurate, what we have at the moment are leaks and so called ITK, drip feeding a personal view point and normally with an agenda...they said on Thursday OxVox are invited to be involved and hold them to account, if OxVox refuse then that will tell me more about them than the club...OxVox circulated the engagement plan over a week ago and came across as critical of it without expaining why, as a member of OxVox I wrote to them that same day asking for their view on why they didn't see this as the way forward...no repsonse as yet...not a great look when they are critiquing communication.
It's too formal imo. It's all boards and panels, member groups and meetings - your average fan doesn't have time for most of it. It's a very 'corporate' way to interact with the fanbase.

I also think the plan will alienate a lot of younger people. As we saw at the fans forum, there was a theme in the demographics of those in attendance. You're always going to struggle to get young fans of any fan base to go along and ask formal questions infront of 150 people, join and physically engage with panels etc.

If trying to engage large portions of our fanbase across all demographics is what they're trying to do, this plan won't achieve that.

Is it about now I say "I told you so" ?

The whole shebang of OUSP, the FAB and this latest corporate plan bollox is being used to dilute & weaken the fans voice.

Especially if the genuinely independent fans groups/Trusts are gradually marginalised.

Scrap the OUSP - even if it is by mass resignation - the volunteers can give their time to make OxVox a stronger voice.

Do not engage with this pish and support ONE independent, democratic group.

I told you so............... ;)

Carbon copy of the OUSP set up with the club now dictating terms and replacing the confidentiality clause and policy with one of their own design.
I recognise the wording of the MoU from the FSA template.

A new SLO to be recruited to replace Andy Taylor but, fully under control of Benson. It's even written into the terms of being on this FAB that you say nothing except what has been sanctioned by the FAB under the control of the club. That's not communicating with the fanbase, that's simply a marketing ploy.

A summary report will be written by the Chair, agreed by all parties and published online no later than 10 working days from the date of the meeting alongside a copy of the minutes. FAB members should not publish nor discuss any details of the meeting prior to that point, unless specifically allowed for at the meeting. Should any items within the meeting be deemed as confidential these will be redacted from the published version of the minutes (as per Confidentiality Policy).

We are all customers. Regardless of the colourful brochure with pretty pictures, we are customers to be governed by commercial and marketing ploys.

Bin this nonsense.

Oh the irony................. nice to see you have (eventually) realised that you helped create the thin end of the wedge.

Fold OUSP, boycott the FAB and join OxVox.

Oh the irony................. nice to see you have (eventually) realised that you helped create the thin end of the wedge.
Have I? Really? I must have missed that part.
This really has become an obsession with you.

Following the Fans Forum I had several conversations around the subject of fan engagement. On Saturday, before the game, I happened to meet Adam Benson who recognised me from the forum. We had a very constructive, frank and informative conversation lasting quite a while. I have to say that he came across as someone who is willing to debate and also, perhaps more importantly, listen. I would also say that, despite my initial misgivings, I can believe that the club really are seeking to improve fan engagement and see the proposed FAB as a means to aid that engagement. They do not wish to devalue either OxVox or OUSP, if what I heard from the conversations I had are genuine, which I believe they were.

Sadly, those, like yourself, who are predisposed to object and have closed their minds to anything else, are the impediment to a constructive debate.
Adam Benson, incidentally, made it clear that he is willing to engage with any supporter, should they so wish. His email address is listed on the club site. Perhaps you might wish to voice your concerns directly?

I freely admit that my initial reaction was one opposed to the FAB however, as is the way with healthy debate and open conversation, opinions can change. I am happy to wait and see. I am not inclined to offer my own services to any organisation at the moment. I found the treatment of myself via social media quite abhorrent and have no desire to be the target of more imbecilic keyboard warriors hell bent on their own glorification. It is a shame that despite having time on my hands, I have no desire towards any further engagement. Time spent on here is sufficient and even that, at times, with certain individuals, can be tiresome.

Very little opportunity to do so. I had my hand raised and numerous questions but, having had my go with a question, I was at the back of the queue. There is a feedback request via the club website, I would suggest you utilise that, as I will later today.
I did have a brief word with Janine of the OUSP who seemed to think it might work. I am not convinced. My own thoughts are that the models to follow would be the examples of Brentford and Reading - the latter has obvious motivation, the former has a very popular and engaged set up.

Still better would be to make use of the existing organisations.

Have I? Really? I must have missed that part.
This really has become an obsession with you.

Following the Fans Forum I had several conversations around the subject of fan engagement. On Saturday, before the game, I happened to meet Adam Benson who recognised me from the forum. We had a very constructive, frank and informative conversation lasting quite a while. I have to say that he came across as someone who is willing to debate and also, perhaps more importantly, listen. I would also say that, despite my initial misgivings, I can believe that the club really are seeking to improve fan engagement and see the proposed FAB as a means to aid that engagement. They do not wish to devalue either OxVox or OUSP, if what I heard from the conversations I had are genuine, which I believe they were.

Sadly, those, like yourself, who are predisposed to object and have closed their minds to anything else, are the impediment to a constructive debate.
Adam Benson, incidentally, made it clear that he is willing to engage with any supporter, should they so wish. His email address is listed on the club site. Perhaps you might wish to voice your concerns directly?

I freely admit that my initial reaction was one opposed to the FAB however, as is the way with healthy debate and open conversation, opinions can change. I am happy to wait and see. I am not inclined to offer my own services to any organisation at the moment. I found the treatment of myself via social media quite abhorrent and have no desire to be the target of more imbecilic keyboard warriors hell bent on their own glorification. It is a shame that despite having time on my hands, I have no desire towards any further engagement. Time spent on here is sufficient and even that, at times, with certain individuals, can be tiresome.

Yep, you certainly changed your mind quickly after a splash of corporate BS from AB.

As for "glorification" or having a "closed mind" - maybe some people saw what was coming, through reading things like the Crouch report, and some blindly followed the corporate lead?

As of yet not one person has been able to justify why OUSP was set up when we have a perfectly structured and independent supporters Trust. Those who volunteer for OUSP doing the minutiae of supporters needs could easily do exactly the same as volunteers for OxVox.

One organisation - one fans voice.

However the club have already decided who they want to talk too (their own construct) and who they see as less important - OxVox, and most of us that don`t fit the corporate model.

It`ll be interesting to see how hard they try with "customer engagement" when next seasons ST`s go on sale.

Yep, you certainly changed your mind quickly after a splash of corporate BS from AB.

As for "glorification" or having a "closed mind" - maybe some people saw what was coming, through reading things like the Crouch report, and some blindly followed the corporate lead?

As of yet not one person has been able to justify why OUSP was set up when we have a perfectly structured and independent supporters Trust. Those who volunteer for OUSP doing the minutiae of supporters needs could easily do exactly the same as volunteers for OxVox.

One organisation - one fans voice.

However the club have already decided who they want to talk too (their own construct) and who they see as less important - OxVox, and most of us that don`t fit the corporate model.

It`ll be interesting to see how hard they try with "customer engagement" when next seasons ST`s go on sale.
How lucky we are to have your invaluable insight into all things OUFC. I feel so insignificant in your presence. If only you would talk some sense into the club and make things right. Would you do that?

I didn't think so. Stepping away from your keyboard a step too far?

I was critical at the time when OUSP was set up and the need for it. Since then they have done some good things with helping supporters sort various match day issues out. Do I still question the need for them when we have OxVox? Yes I do as with a bit of coming together, I think those who give up their time for OUSP could do the same but under OxVox's name.
If I didn't see the need for OUSP then I certainly don't see the need for this new FAB.
We are a league 1 club with an average attendance of circa 8K for home games. We don't need 3 fan groups. What we need is 1 group with a strong voice and in the past, that has been OxVox.

@Manorlounger I know you say AB said he is happy to engage with any supporters, words are cheap though when his past actions have shown otherwise. Just look at the recent updates from OxVox to the push back Benson and Williams gave them.

I was critical at the time when OUSP was set up and the need for it. Since then they have done some good things with helping supporters sort various match day issues out. Do I still question the need for them when we have OxVox? Yes I do as with a bit of coming together, I think those who give up their time for OUSP could do the same but under OxVox's name.
If I didn't see the need for OUSP then I certainly don't see the need for this new FAB.
We are a league 1 club with an average attendance of circa 8K for home games. We don't need 3 fan groups. What we need is 1 group with a strong voice and in the past, that has been OxVox.

@Manorlounger I know you say AB said he is happy to engage with any supporters, words are cheap though when his past actions have shown otherwise. Just look at the recent updates from OxVox to the push back Benson and Williams gave them.

Exactly this.

Also OxVox is independent.

OUSP is not.

Massive massive difference.

Following the Fans Forum I had several conversations around the subject of fan engagement. On Saturday, before the game, I happened to meet Adam Benson who recognised me from the forum. We had a very constructive, frank and informative

Adam Benson, incidentally, made it clear that he is willing to engage with

Dear me! You've kept such an open mind that your brains fell out. You're a flattery zombie.

Benson would say that, wouldn't he?

We told you so.

I raised that with him and mentioned the distance that supporters feel. I cannot say that he is genuine, I don't have the evidence either way but, he was willing to listen and to discuss. Actions speak louder than words so I'm prepared to wait and see. I won't hold back if I feel things are not right but likewise, I am open to constructive dialogue. I'm not party to what goes on behind closed doors, club, OxVox or OUSP so I hope that all act in good faith and for the benefit of all supporters. The club have made mistakes and communication has been poor but, and it is difficult at times, I'm trying to keep an open mind.

The way I see it is as things are Oxvox are more involved with more major issues, while OUSP look after ( in the main) matchday issues.

Im an OxVox lifer, OxVox representatives are democratically elected, currently OUSP arent

I was sceptical when OUSP were formed - it seemed at the time OUSP were put together at the current regimes behest

Fact is ( IMO) OUSP raise matchday ( home and away) issues and gipes with those in a position to instigate change. That certain individuals who they liaise with really don't seem to want to change, or do anything about, it seems anything that OUSP flag up, is not for lack of trying on OUSPs part.

I tend to agree that the tireless OUSP individuals could perhaps be incorporated as a sub division of OxVox , tasked with overseeing matchday issues supporters raise, as they do now, but as part of the Supporters trust, complete with democratic elections.

As for FAB - it is quite simply not wanted , or needed, In my opinion

I believe OUSP was created with the sole intention of silencing and making OxVox less relevant however this has proven not to work.

I’d much prefer it if the people who put their time and effort in to OUSP were given matchday/small issue roles underneath OxVox in a different branch.

This means OxVox & OxVox OUSP would be independent from the football club.

Independence is the the key word in all my thoughts on the whole thing.

It’s why I’m completely against the FAB idea.

It's like reading stuff from FoSB on here at times!

OUSP are completely independent of the club, always have been, always will be. Of course they work alongside the club on various issues, in the same way that OxVox does. You only have to look at the minutes from every meeting to see that OUSP have challenged the club on the make up of the Fan Engagement Board. They were also pushing for a fans forum and helped set the recent one up, all alongside OxVox. It was Janine (OUSP Secretary) that sourced and managed the live feed. And at the fans forum they panel joked about being held to account by OUSP on everything. The idea that the Supporters Panel is in cahoots with the management team is not only ridiculously untrue, but is also disrespectful to those who campaign endlessly on behalf of other fans.

OUSP representatives are democratically elected in the same way OxVox representatives are. Unfortunately there hasn't berm enough interest to warrant an election for either OUSP or OxVox in recent years. OUSP have a meeting next week to discuss future elections, and once announced I'd encourage everyone interested to apply so that an election is possible, even if that means that others replace me.

You may well have different opinions as to the value of OUSP and/or OxVox, and the structure of any future Fan Engagement boards, but please stop using things that are clearly untrue to justify your reasons.

"I found the treatment of myself via social media quite abhorrent and have no desire to be the target of more imbecilic keyboard warriors hell bent on their own glorification."
Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom