+++ FACup 3rd Round 4/1/2020 OUFC V Hartlepool Utd +++

Not a problem if you‘ve got half a dozen players who can weigh in with 9-10 goals over the course of the season.

Henry, Brannigan, Fosu-Henry, Taylor, Hall, Baptiste sharing the goals around is arguably better than putting all your eggs
in the basket of a single striker.

This team/squad is packed with goals with more talent lined up to come in.
Don't get me wrong, the fact that the team is packed with goals is BETTER than relying on any one player - of course. But I always feel when Mackie is on the pitch he has been sent out to hassle the opposition defence rather than in the expectation that he will score. It is a job he does well, but I still feel that we are missing a trick by having (as the focal point of the attack) a player who is unlikely to score a goal.

• React
Reactions: ljs
Wrong
135 plus tv for first round
Reading the prize money if we lose next round we get no more prize money
Sorry, but you are wrong! The prize money accumulates after each round. Last years winners received nearly £7m in prize money.

I have been told West Ham are coming in for Shandon, 2 million so I hope that's wrong!

I could see a club like West Ham being interested in Baptiste. We took Marcus Browne on loan from them, and now we may also be taking Holland until the end of the season. So it feels like there is a link of cooperation between the clubs at the moment.

There are several ways in which a deal could be done to suit both parties, with loans, part exchanges and loan backs.

Saying all that it’s clear that Baptiste’s value is rising weekly at the moment, 2 Million is pitifully low, I’d currently put a minimum fee of 4 Million, plus add-ons. Possibly more.

Wrong
135 plus tv for first round
Reading the prize money if we lose next round we get no more prize money

I know it doesn't make it clear, but I think it has to be cumulative. If a team entering the competion at the third qualifying round, wins that and then loses in the fourth qualifying round, they must get £11,250 + £6,250. It can't be the fourth round value.
What's not shown is what a league 1 or 2 team get for losing in the first round, or what a Brighton got for losing in the third round.

It does add up to a tidy sum for a lower team getting through three or four rounds.

1578220868139.png

I could see a club like West Ham being interested in Baptiste. We took Marcus Browne on loan from them, and now we may also be taking Holland until the end of the season. So it feels like there is a link of cooperation between the clubs at the moment.

There are several ways in which a deal could be done to suit both parties, with loans, part exchanges and loan backs.

Saying all that it’s clear that Baptiste’s value is rising weekly at the moment, 2 Million is pitifully low, I’d currently put a minimum fee of 4 Million, plus add-ons. Possibly more.

Baptiste will go straight to the prem for 8mill plus. Dickie is about 2.5, Brannagan 4/5mill

Baptiste will go straight to the prem for 8mill plus. Dickie is about 2.5, Brannagan 4/5mill

I agree that he’ll go straight to the Premier League and bypass the Championship.

Lovely balance, technique and vision, plus improved upper body strength.

8 Million plus seems a bit high to me for a League 1 player, especially one with a couple of nasty injuries on his CV.

Hope I’m wrong of course, and if he is to be sold that Shandon/Club both get a great deal.

I agree that he’ll go straight to the Premier League and bypass the Championship.

8 Million plus seems a bit high to me for a League 1 player, especially one with a couple of nasty injuries on his CV.

Hope I’m wrong of course, and if he is to be sold that Shandon/Club both get a great deal.

Baptiste has a skill set that very few have - he can beat the press.

Picking the ball up off defenders in midfield or in the half space between midfield/attack - people pay a lot for that.

Add in his long contract and age - I don’t think folk realise this is the biggest talent the club has produced in a long time!

Wasn't KR in charge when Lookman was sold for £12m or something like that from L1?

I know it doesn't make it clear, but I think it has to be cumulative. If a team entering the competion at the third qualifying round, wins that and then loses in the fourth qualifying round, they must get £11,250 + £6,250. It can't be the fourth round value.
What's not shown is what a league 1 or 2 team get for losing in the first round, or what a Brighton got for losing in the third round.

It does add up to a tidy sum for a lower team getting through three or four rounds.

View attachment 2684

As said earlier, £135k is just for this round which is added to the £90k we've already got (+ the TV money from the H&Y game).

It is why Chichester City donated some of the 1st Rd prize money to AFC Bury* after the draw when they got the bye. They had accumulated a large sum for them already from the previous rounds.

*I think it was AFC Bury rather than the original club.

We had a comedy Grumpy old bloke in front of us sitting in the South Stand Upper just for a change. The 1st half, he actually provided the entertainment rather than the game. He clearly didn't seem to grasp how we now play the game.
I won't make the mistake of watching from there again though as I felt detached from the game. Tbf, that might be due to having watched from the East Stand, and the London Road before that, for so many years that it is just wrong for me.
I moved my season ticket some years ago from the SSU to SSL; the moaning minnies were doing my head in!

Baptiste has a skill set that very few have - he can beat the press.

Picking the ball up off defenders in midfield or in the half space between midfield/attack - people pay a lot for that.

Add in his long contract and age - I don’t think folk realise this is the biggest talent the club has produced in a long time!
Biggest talent since Jamie Brooks, his movement - like Shandon's - was unreal. hopefully we get to see Shandon have a long career and reach his full potential

Last edited:
Baptiste’s goal yesterday was the sign of a player far too good for our level. If he is sold for a significant fee - say £6m as a starting point - it will singlehandedly offset any losses the club makes for at least two years. If the offers are there this month, he’s going to have to go. It’s all good and well saying to wait until the summer etc, but one nasty injury (and he’s had a few already) and the whole thing is up in smoke. It would be good for us and good for the player, who would immediately become financially secure the second the pen hits the paper. He’s been sensational the last few weeks alone and is getting better and better, and I wish he could stay for years to come, but this kid is just too good and is attracting far too much attention now. Get the initial fee right and tuck a little sell-on clause in there - it’s the right move. I think there’s every chance that kid gets sold to a top six side for £30m or maybe even much more in the future. If Harry Maguire can go from Hull to Man U via Leicester for a fee of £70m odd, there is no reason why Shandon couldn’t go the same way in the next few years. He’s got it, and between just how good he is and what the money involved could do for the club, it only make sense for him to be the one to move on sooner rather than later. The boy is a star in the making.

Baptiste’s goal yesterday was the sign of a player far too good for our level. If he is sold for a significant fee - say £6m as a starting point - it will singlehandedly offset any losses the club makes for at least two years. If the offers are there this month, he’s going to have to go. It’s all good and well saying to wait until the summer etc, but one nasty injury (and he’s had a few already) and the whole thing is up in smoke. It would be good for us and good for the player, who would immediately become financially secure the second the pen hits the paper. He’s been sensational the last few weeks alone and is getting better and better, and I wish he could stay for years to come, but this kid is just too good and is attracting far too much attention now. Get the initial fee right and tuck a little sell-on clause in there - it’s the right move. I think there’s every chance that kid gets sold to a top six side for £30m or maybe even much more in the future. If Harry Maguire can go from Hull to Man U via Leicester for a fee of £70m odd, there is no reason why Shandon couldn’t go the same way in the next few years. He’s got it, and between just how good he is and what the money involved could do for the club, it only make sense for him to be the one to move on sooner rather than later. The boy is a star in the making.

absolutely spot on .... I for one think OUFC have, literally, given players away over the years in terms of fee attained compaared to 'real' value of said player.... IF the right offer comes in to instigate talks thats fair enough, but giving players away under (real) value by OUFC - Whyte to Cardiff for a mere £2m is an example- needs to stop, if we dont need to sell players, ensure that the highest possible price ( plus a plethora of add ons) is achieved should one of our players wish to move on and progress higher up the football pyramid

If OUFC, as we keep being told, dont need to sell players, basically tell those putting in derisory offers to do one, OUFC shouldnt operate like a market stall knocking out snide gear on the cheap any more

My first thought was if that did happen and they loan him back to us for a decent period then it would be good for us and his future development.

In the year to June 2018 the club lost £4.2M before player sales, and since then i think we've only sold Gavin Whyte and TsunDai, so we would need a very big fee to cover two years of losses.

As a separate point not aimed at you, lots of people are claiming he's "one of our own", well he was at Reading and didn't join us until he was 17. I wonder how much they might get as compensation for his development?

To play devil's advocate here, I think it's possible that many of us, myself included, don't really appreciate the step up in quality from L1 to Championship and Premiership level. Many of our sales in the last few years to teams in the Championship, let alone the Premiership, have simply been average at best in the second tier, and these were players who were comfortably a cut above L1. COD, Johnson, Ledson and Whyte were all too good for this league (or the league we were in at the time in COD's case), and are struggling to get game time at their new clubs, let alone setting the place on fire. Even Roofe took a few years at Leeds to turn into their lead striker. I would agree that Baptiste seems to have more about him than any of them, but only in flashes. Yes he ran the game yesterday, but, with all due respect to Hartlepool, it was against the team 17th in the National League - you would expect that. I think we need to be wary of attaching too high a value to him in our minds, in case that fee is not met and we feel slighted, when the value is likely to be fair considering the standard he is being sold into.

Baptiste’s goal yesterday was the sign of a player far too good for our level.

He did score it against a National League side, so all he really proved is that he's far too good for the National League, which we all knew already.

Despite his evident quality, are teams really going to part with millions of pounds for a player who has already had quite a few big injuries in his short career, and hasn't yet completed a full season of competitive football at League One level? I know everyone rates the player but this talk of the Premier League from everyone is a bit fanciful.

In the year to June 2018 the club lost £4.2M before player sales, and since then i think we've only sold Gavin Whyte and TsunDai, so we would need a very big fee to cover two years of losses.

As a separate point not aimed at you, lots of people are claiming he's "one of our own", well he was at Reading and didn't join us until he was 17. I wonder how much they might get as compensation for his development?
A big chunk of the 4.2m were isolated costs rather than recurring expenses. The training ground alone cost over a million quid to get finished which is now completed, and there were also various hangovers from our beloved former owner that caused significant financial burden that won’t be ongoing concerns. I’m not saying everything is fine and dandy but average yearly losses will likely be significantly less than 4.2m as standard moving forward. Perhaps closer to half that.

To jump onto your second point, you are of course correct and I’ve very much felt that myself for a while - to call him “one of our own” given the age at which he joined and the fact that he also grew up elsewhere (I think even now he still lives in Reading?) is a bit of a stretch. However my understanding is that he was released from Reading as a teen, and so they are owed nothing. As far as I’m aware he didn’t choose to leave and we didn’t purchase him or even transfer his registration from them to us on a free, he was cut loose as a free agent. If that is the case then they aren’t entitled to a penny as they willingly disposed of him. I am 99% sure that is the case.

Back
Top Bottom