+++ FACup 3rd Round 4/1/2020 OUFC V Hartlepool Utd +++

Makes no more sense than having a big fish to go at - certainly not enough to question someone wanting a big tie on a forum - and if we go out we have the money and less games for the run in. Home tie or big away day are my preference.

There’s increasing prize money for going through each round though, so it makes financial sense to play a lower team who you have a better chance of beating

There’s increasing prize money for going through each round though, so it makes financial sense to play a lower team who you have a better chance of beating
More or less than we'd lose if it derailed a promotion push due to extra games causing a fixture pile-up? More or less than drawing say, Tranmere in the next round and them knocking us out in front of 6000 vs going out to Man Utd in front of 12,500 in the ground and a TV audience?

As I said, what makes no sense (IMO) is someone being picked up for saying they want a big team at home next, which would guarantee the money you mention, rather than gambling on a result. In fact, you could even argue a big guaranteed payday later in January would be more of a benefit because of the transfer window.

As always, there are plusses and minuses whoever you draw. The worst would be away to someone in our division, a long way away.

Or Man City at home again. Bored of that now :)
Or away to someone in the Championship, 3/4 empty stadium and good chance of going out.

Or away to someone in the Championship, 3/4 empty stadium and good chance of going out.
Yes, that wouldn't be brilliant, but if it was maybe to a place we hadn't been for ages it might me OK? (not Luton, not Luton, not Luton)

We will be ball number 9, as we were the ninth tie to be drawn in the third round draw.

Thought Gorrin made us play better second half. He started to pick the ball up between our two central defenders e.g a lot deeper and raised the tempo which Hartlepool couldn’t cope with.
We had more space than usual which made some players look great, Gorrin looked like Stevie G at times! He’s good but not usually that good

Thought the Hartlepool fans were fantastic today. We could learn quite a bit to build an atmosphere from them or do we not care enough !
I don't remember them being like that in previous league meetings. So I assume it was because they were in round 3 up against a much higher placed team. I'm sure we'd be similar if away at a prem team in the next round.

Back
Top Bottom