National News End Child Food Poverty

You'll find that the employer is usually the chief beneficiary of cheap labour.

What if the employer is a local authority and the beneficiary is the people that fund both the LA and the benefits the people receive?
Would I object to seeing folk litter picking, cleaning graffiti, cutting verges, tidying parks & open spaces, keeping playgrounds clean and rubbish free, doing old folks gardens etc? Nope.

What if the employer is a local authority and the beneficiary is the people that fund both the LA and the benefits the people receive?
Would I object to seeing folk litter picking, cleaning graffiti, cutting verges, tidying parks & open spaces, keeping playgrounds clean and rubbish free, doing old folks gardens etc? Nope.
So councils who have and continue to lay off thousands because of enormous cuts in funding over the past decade should use the money the haven't got. Get real.

Is that bad thing? :)

I have always thought there is room for a Work Fare system for those on the Social that are able to work.
The benefits for the person are substantial and there are plenty of things for them to do in their communities.

Hello President Xi.

I think the Conservative government’s complete contempt for NHS and Public sector workers is probably hindering their capacity for developing COVID strategy.

JRM channeling Marie Antoinette.....again

A real "let them eat cake" moment.

It will never cease to amaze me, the number of gullible people who seem to think a plummy accent and air of arrogance is somehow a mark of integrity and intelligence.

Know your place....serfs!

As an aside, Marie Antoinette didn't say that comment, it was from far earlier than that by another monarch/aristocrat (iirc) and was part of the misinformation/fake news campaign by those leading the French Revolution to blame somebody else other than the KIng (who they wanted to keep as a figurehead at the time). They also produced propaganda that claimed she slept around, had orgies, spent all the money (ignoring the expensive funding of the US revolution that was the real cause) etc etc so she was set up as the Bogeyman to blame all of France's ills on.

As an aside, Marie Antoinette didn't say that comment, it was from far earlier than that by another monarch/aristocrat (iirc) and was part of the misinformation/fake news campaign by those leading the French Revolution to blame somebody else other than the KIng (who they wanted to keep as a figurehead at the time). They also produced propaganda that claimed she slept around, had orgies, spent all the money (ignoring the expensive funding of the US revolution that was the real cause) etc etc so she was set up as the Bogeyman to blame all of France's ills on.

Sort of like Boris then.

So councils who have and continue to lay off thousands because of enormous cuts in funding over the past decade should use the money the haven't got. Get real.

Our local County Council say that a 1% increase in Council tax generates £3.1 million in income and is capped at 2% so £6.2 million.
They are also asking for an additional 3% for Adult social care, that creates £9.3 million.
They are also expecting "other funding" as part of the pandemic support from HMG.
They have 45 "senior leaders" on over £50k a year.

The City Council have "found" £20.3 million in their reserves.
Also expecting pandemic funding.
They have 103 "senior leaders" on over £50k a year.

The money is there in the systems, it is how it is used/abused that is the problem.

There is never a shortage of council staff to keep County Hall or the Town Hall looking tidy and neat.

Our local County Council say that a 1% increase in Council tax generates £3.1 million in income and is capped at 2% so £6.2 million.
They are also asking for an additional 3% for Adult social care, that creates £9.3 million.
They are also expecting "other funding" as part of the pandemic support from HMG.

The money is there in the systems, it is how it is used/abused that is the problem.

There is never a shortage of council staff to keep County Hall or the Town Hall looking tidy and neat.
How many "senor leaders" are there in the NHS on over £50k who could offer/be told to take a cut/pay freeze to fund services more desperately needed at the frontline, I wonder? :unsure:

We'd all support that, surely?

You are like a tory MP spouting number completely without context. Go on then give me some. What is Leicestershire County Council's gross expenditure before fees and charges and other funding? How many different services does it provide? What was its government funding on 2010 and what is it now?

I suggest you do some actual research into council spending/income and the pressures on them and what "reserves" are/when they have to be replenished. Especially before chucking around them being abused or your comments about council staff in a general sense.

for many many years now we have elected for a low tax high wage system in this country. We have managed the low tax bit but not the high wage. If we increase personal allowance taking the low paid out of the the 20% tax bracket completely then tax the rest of us more perhaps we could afford to fund properly things like social care, councils & the NHS.

Is that bad thing? :)

I have always thought there is room for a Work Fare system for those on the Social that are able to work.
The benefits for the person are substantial and there are plenty of things for them to do in their communities.
Erm, yes!

I know (hope!) you are saying it in jest, but anyone with even a cursory interest in modern history would know what desperate places they were. It wasn't all 'can I have some more' and 'boiled beef and carrots' you know!

How many "senor leaders" are there in the NHS on over £50k who could offer/be told to take a cut/pay freeze to fund services more desperately needed at the frontline, I wonder? :unsure:

We'd all support that, surely?

Non-clinical? Thousands of `em.

Not me though. :)

I suggest you do some actual research into council spending/income and the pressures on them and what "reserves" are/when they have to be replenished. Especially before chucking around them being abused or your comments about council staff in a general sense.

Maybe you could answer why it is always those who provide the services such as road sweeping etc that are first to be cut and not the folk on £50k+ plus then?
Same problem in the NHS.
Same problem in any public body.
Those turkeys don`t vote for Christmas.
The roots get cut and you end up with a Bonsai tree of beauty that is all show and no roots.....

Had to get in touch with our local foodbank the other day, some "poor unfortunate" is taking bags of food...... then dumping what they don`t want in the local park all of 200 yards away.
Found 3 carrier bags of onions, carrots, tinned tomatoes and celeriac the other day........ total waste by someone who "qualifies" as in "need". Makes you think twice about doing your bit.
That is a pity, but surely it shouldn’t be a surprise that some people are C***s? We spend our lives legislating against the 1% of dickwads rather than punishing them and helping everyone else (I’m sure you can come up with a billion examples in the NHS of compliance measures that negatively affect the majority because of the actions of a handful of numbnuts).
It’s like the arguments about state handouts. Yes there are some people who take advantage of taxpayer-funded benefits. Do they pale into insignificance against the tax avoidance by a handful of high-value individuals and corporations? Of course they do - let’s not beat up the majority of desperately needy people because of a few C***s.

• React
Reactions: QR
for many many years now we have elected for a low tax high wage system in this country. We have managed the low tax bit but not the high wage. If we increase personal allowance taking the low paid out of the the 20% tax bracket completely then tax the rest of us more perhaps we could afford to fund properly things like social care, councils & the NHS.
Put that on a manifesto and watch people fail or even angrily refuse to vote for it, including millions of people whose lives would be instantly made better as a result.

We are a nation of self-harmers.

Put that on a manifesto and watch people fail or even angrily refuse to vote for it, including millions of people whose lives would be instantly made better as a result.

Like impoverished Americans and healthcare.

Who puts the truth in their manifesto?

Back
Top Bottom