General Disabled parking cancelled for VIPs

Sarge

God like member
Oh dear- the powers that be took the decision for the Cambridge match to deny access to 6 disabled spaces to accommodate VIPs .... who evidently OUFC value over and above the needs of Bluebadge disabled supporters

this was in the section behind the fence end SSL in the oblong small area on the right driving towards the SSL/ fence end

Rather embarrassed stewards informed 'its only for this game'

which really isn't the point

Disabled OUFC supporters when parking, close to the ground ( limited mobility) require target parking spaces (disabled spaces) to allow exit and entry to vehicles.... having to forage around the carpark for a( narrow) parking space some distance away from what are designated disabled spaces really isn't good enough

Assurances were given by OUFC- to both @OUSP Secretary and @OxVox after a cat A match, last season, when TVP commandeered a number of disabled spaces at the fence end by the North stand, that more attention would be paid regarding the parking requirements of bluebadge holding OUFC supporters on matchdays

Disabled parking spaces are in short supply around the breeze block anyway- priorotising VIPs over disabled supporters quite simply is not on

Short memories or blatant disregard ( thus confirming that OUSP is literally a box ticking exercise?) for assurances given.... as for the first game of a new season accommodating so called VIPs was evidently a much higher priority than needs of Disabled OUFC supporters - SHAME ON THOSE RESPONSIBLE for an absolutely disgraceful decision

This is pretty shocking if true. And something the @OUSP Secretary and @OxVox need to chat to the club about.
its 100% true .... I spoke to my Sister this morning, She is my /our 87yo ST holding Dads carer, also my nephew is registered disabled & a blue badge holder & ST holder.... on arriving (early) for saturdays match , they were refused entry to the 6 disabled spaces where they park for home games

A very embarrassed car park steward informed that the disabled spaces were being used for VIP car parking ... although 'only' for the one game (allegedly)- meaning the 6 disabled cars , with disabled OUFC fans had to basically fend for themselves in locating a parking space irrespective of the location, or suitability for disabled parking

Fact is VIPs are very likely able bodied, so why the f**k did those behind the decision, even think it was a good idea to 'give' VIPs wider bay disabled spaces?

Some clearly backwards thinking going on at the club with regards to people with disabilities shameful it's 2022 not 1950s these people have human rights aswel

its 100% true .... I spoke to my Sister this morning, She is my /our 87yo ST holding Dads carer, also my nephew is registered disabled & a blue badge holder & ST holder.... on arriving (early) for saturdays match , they were refused entry to the 6 disabled spaces where they park for home games

A very embarrassed car park steward informed that the disabled spaces were being used for VIP car parking ... although 'only' for the one game (allegedly)- meaning the 6 disabled cars , with disabled OUFC fans had to basically fend for themselves in locating a parking space irrespective of the location, or suitability for disabled parking

Fact is VIPs are very likely able bodied, so why the f**k did those behind the decision, even think it was a good idea to 'give' VIPs wider bay disabled spaces?
Who at the club could even give a seconds thought to that being a good idea. I hope they are making a better job of the SB communication and plans

The simple fact is that OUFC have NO control over the car park and have no right to prevent folk parking wherever they please. The spaces designated as blue badge should always be available to badge holders. This recent development of closing off spaces for "VIPs" is ludicrous. The club removed all the 1893 club spaces, does not allocate space to Atkinson Suite patrons and each box (despite the club saying they have no right to "sell" a space) is allocated just 2 parking spaces. The rest, which would be a considerable number, are designated VIP only - Who are these VIPs? How many are there? And, why would they take precedence over blue badge holders?
Previously OUSP were assured that the spaces in this newly cordoned off section would remain available to badge holders. If the club have reneged on this or the traffic control lot have taken it upon themselves to stop badge holders, then they need to reverse that decision forthwith. Just a little while ago TVP parked all over badge spaces by the North Stand, they were informed that this would not be accepted.

Someone needs to be named and shamed.

as an aside My sister, Dad and nephew (all ST holders) were humming and haa-ing about getting tickets for tonights cup game

they've decided against going

the (lack of) disabled car parking spaces Saturday and the possibility of it despite assurances happing again this evening being a minor, but contributory factor

also the closing of the part of SSL where their season ticket seats are was also a factor- as getting too and from his regular seat (slowly) is something my dad is ok with, when its a bit more of a free for all due to areas of the ground being 'closed' it doesn't appeal mutch , as he's become a creature of habit, being comfortable with what he knows. Wheras having to go elsewhere , it unsettles him- AND its considerably further to walk (slowly) to and from wherever his transport is parked- and that's without factoring in someone at OUFC 'removing' disabled spaces in favour of VIPs

final factor in their decision is the forecast heat travelling to the ground late afternoon, being sat/ stuck in works traffic

combination of all 3 made it a NO to bothering going to tonights game for the three of them

Sarge you're quite right to be concerned about loss of disabled parking spaces.

This started with the car wash mopping up (sorry, I can never resist a bad pun) some of the spaces at the South west end and it looks like the VIP issue has led to more. OxVox was told nothing could be done about the car wash as they had a contract with the stadium company. Never did find out who authorised spaces to be taken or who thought it a good idea to have cars coming to be washed on a Saturday afternoon, with pedestrians wandering across the car wash entry and exit gaps.

Moving on, I find this info online:

"Government guidelines (Inclusive Mobility published by DfT) recommend that 6% of parking should be allocated to disabled people, unless otherwise covered by local planning regulations. The guidance also recommends how to identify these spaces, with special markings and signage."

Now 6% of 2000 spaces is 120 if my arithmetic is correct. I would be very surprised if there is more than half that number of disabled spaces.

Taking the two sections that are currently being cordoned off, results in approximately 153 spaces, excluding the 6 blue badge spaces within those sections. (overall I counted 75 blue badge spaces however, a few of those are behind the North Stand and not accessible normally, far short of @Trevor L 's 120 count!)

That 153 excludes the spaces in front of the main building which number about a further 100. So, it would appear that the club has in the region of 250 players, staff and VIP car parking spaces available on match days.
I wonder if anyone could explain that to those who were prevented from using legitimately a blue badge space?

It's a disgrace, pure and simple.
I know two people who are not going tonight for the same reasons as pointed out by Sarge.
I know of two more who will not be attending any games not covered by their season tickets. Not for the reasons above but simply because of how they feel the club has treated them. (Both long standing supporters)

I know of two more who will not be attending any games not covered by their season tickets. Not for the reasons above but simply because of how they feel the club has treated them. (Both long standing supporters)

And next season when the renewal arrives they may be less inclined to do so................. this is where the erosion of customer care, marketing, and the general malaise gets the club.
And nobody does anything about it except tick a few boxes to satisfy a Government report.

This is the first we've heard of this, and we have asked for an explanation, it really isn't acceptable to reduce BB spaces.

As an aside, we look at the forum at intervals but if you want OUSP to follow up something and be sure we've seen it, your best bet is to email us ouspinfo@gmail.com

On the theme of car parking. The potholes at the front entrance of the East Stand car park this season are real car killers. @OUSP Secretary can we put this forward to the club to contact Stadco? This will involve them spending money around the stadium to fill them in so not expecting anything but worth a shot...:rolleyes:

On the theme of car parking. The potholes at the front entrance of the East Stand car park this season are real car killers. @OUSP Secretary can we put this forward to the club to contact Stadco? This will involve them spending money around the stadium to fill them in so not expecting anything but worth a shot...:rolleyes:
Have already raised it, along with the bushes that need cutting back to free up spaces.

This is the first we've heard of this, and we have asked for an explanation, it really isn't acceptable to reduce BB spaces.

As an aside, we look at the forum at intervals but if you want OUSP to follow up something and be sure we've seen it, your best bet is to email us ouspinfo@gmail.com
which i tend to do .... thing is OUSP raise issues on our behalf in good faith, and then for instance,- the disabled spaces occupied by tvp vehicles last season,- so the club representatives make placatory noises and give what are evidently absolute bullshit assurances about ensuring disabled spaces wont be occupied then put f*****g VIPS in 6 of them

tell you what , how about insisting on a full , open fans forun asap , so those who make decisions are there to hear the s**t and annoyance they're causing first hand .... I for one one am fed up with , pats on the head and placatory noises, in responses to issues raised, but nothing in reality being really addressed by those in a position to do so

which i tend to do .... thing is OUSP raise issues on our behalf in good faith, and then for instance,- the disabled spaces occupied by tvp vehicles last season,- so the club representatives make placatory noises and give what are evidently absolute bullshit assurances about ensuring disabled spaces wont be occupied then put f*****g VIPS in 6 of them

tell you what , how about insisting on a full , open fans forun asap , so those who make decisions are there to hear the s**t and annoyance they're causing first hand .... I for one one am fed up with , pats on the head and placatory noises, in responses to issues raised, but nothing in reality being really addressed by those in a position to do so

You don`t need an "open fans forum" - the filter is in place so only chosen ideas land on the SLO`s desk.

Can`t be having those paying customers turning up and asking awkward questions - you need a filter so they can "gather feedback", pat people on the head, give them a few treats, and then do nothing.

Crouch Report box ticked - it's all rosy in the garden you see. ;)

Out of interest when was the last fans forum?? I appreciate what ousp are trying to do but I do think the club just tell them what they want and nothing much happens afterwards
We recently ascertained that the supporters panel removed the need for proper fans forums. It’s why it was put in place.

Back
Top Bottom