Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Well, for a bloke whom quite a few people on this forum considered 'useless' and 'out of his depth', he's doing ok. I'm still not convinced we'll make playoffs this season, but that's no reflection on Buckingham. He's been left with a squad that had been patched together well by Manning but still with quite a few obvious weaknesses after the KR 18 month car crash. Have to say, I like his post match interviews. He sounds engaged and intelligent, and obviously feels a real engagement with the club. Unlike KR (endless gibberish- referencing himself constantly) or Manning (cold, detached- we were obviously a stepping stone). I couldn't believe what some people were saying about Buckingham almost from day one. You don't get a job with the City Group unless you've got real ability and potential.

Pleased for Des.

Its difficult to know how much affect the sudden, and manner of Manning‘s departure had on the players, but it’s important for the players to have trust and belief in the new manager, particularly one they know little about. That can take time, but nothing helps to build that trust and belief in a new manager than winning games.

On paper you’d think that joining a club near the top of the table would be nice and straight forward, but it’s been far from that for Des.

The squad depleted due to injuries, the need to try and rest players and the protracted assistant manager saga, all whilst at the same time trying to assert your control, ideas and influence on the team cannot have helped, but hopefully we’re through the dodgy ‘hand over’ period without too much damage position wise, and can now push on.

That’s quite a commitment for a Crystal Palace supporter.
As you can probably tell from my posts I have become slightly obsessed with Oxford Utd and genuinely what a great club it is. I have a lot of internal angst about what is going on. When something confusing and disorientating happens I do what I think anyone should do and ignore the feelings

Pleased for Des.

Its difficult to know how much affect the sudden, and manner of Manning‘s departure had on the players, but it’s important for the players to have trust and belief in the new manager, particularly one they know little about. That can take time, but nothing helps to build that trust and belief in a new manager than winning games.

On paper you’d think that joining a club near the top of the table would be nice and straight forward, but it’s been far from that for Des.

The squad depleted due to injuries, the need to try and rest players and the protracted assistant manager saga, all whilst at the same time trying to assert your control, ideas and influence on the team cannot have helped, but hopefully we’re through the dodgy ‘hand over’ period without too much damage position wise, and can now push on.
I would add to this ‘subbing off’ players who have picked up a booking, Keeping down suspensions can be a big deal managing a reduced, injury hit squad.

Good to see Des fronting up and taking questions from supporters, unlike our CEO and Chairman…..

Got the clear impression from Jerome yesterday that Radio Oxford were keen to continue with the 5 minutes fans forum, whereas the club decided they didn’t much like having to answer supporters awkward questions. Hence why it hasn’t happened this season.

Come out, come out wherever you are.

I'm still not convinced we'll make playoffs this season, but that's no reflection on Buckingham.
Sorry but if we don’t make the playoffs after being second for most of the first half of the season, and 5th in January, having brought players in (presumably a striker) in quite a weak League One, with only 7 (including us) real teams challenging, then I don’t see how it won’t at least be some of a reflection on the coach!

Good to see Des fronting up and taking questions from supporters, unlike our CEO and Chairman…..

Got the clear impression from Jerome yesterday that Radio Oxford were keen to continue with the 5 minutes fans forum, whereas the club decided they didn’t much like having to answer supporters awkward questions. Hence why it hasn’t happened this season.

Come out, come out wherever you are.
That wasn't my impression but hey ho - I think what was intimated was that it DID get awkward during the last days of KR/prob. not Manning's bag/often not 5 minutes so too truncated from the start/ The Dub can fill the spot with in house interviews. More follow up from staff other than Des but his comes with the territory.

That wasn't my impression but hey ho - I think what was intimated was that it DID get awkward during the last days of KR/prob. not Manning's bag/often not 5 minutes so too truncated from the start/ The Dub can fill the spot with in house interviews. More follow up from staff other than Des but his comes with the territory.

Just listened to ‘wasn’t at the game’ again. We’ll have to agree to disagree.🙂

It’s still my impression that RadOx were more than happy to continue with the five minutes fans forum, the club not keen at all. Jerome was being very diplomatic, that is understandable as he has a bit of a balancing act to perform.

It may not have been Manning’s bag to do the FMFFs but he still did them, as you say it comes with the territory.

I wonder if the CEO will make himself available for ’in house’ interviews on the dub where he might have to answer awkward questions from supporters?

After all, being paid to make yourself available to supporters, and answer awkward questions comes with the territory.

Hastily put out puff pieces on the club’s official site and a bit of self promotion in the ‘athletic’ doesn't count as making yourself available to supporters questions and concerns. If anything it looks as if you’re hiding.

Manning did make himself available, but you never felt that he gave much away. Had to laugh at a Bristol City supporter yesterday. He was complaining that the team seemed to fade away in the second half. He stated that after listening to Manning’s post match interview, he must send the players to sleep with his half time pep talk 😂

Des is coming of age as a L1 manager and growing in to the role. He’s lost that wide eyed look of someone who can’t quite believe he’s here and is now looking and sounding much more at home with the task in hand. Results obviously help, I recall how happy he looked after his first home win in the league but now there’s more a look of a man who’s expecting to have won. Good to see.

Sorry but if we don’t make the playoffs after being second for most of the first half of the season, and 5th in January, having brought players in (presumably a striker) in quite a weak League One, with only 7 (including us) real teams challenging, then I don’t see how it won’t at least be some of a reflection on the coach!
Don't agree. I don't think Manning would have got us there either. We were starting to stumble, which is possibly one of the reasons he ran away. We're still carrying too many relics from KR's last 18 months. Even though I dislike Manning, he did a pretty good job in tidying up the squad. But little strength in depth and some obvious weaknesses imo.

Don't agree. I don't think Manning would have got us there either. We were starting to stumble, which is possibly one of the reasons he ran away. We're still carrying too many relics from KR's last 18 months. Even though I dislike Manning, he did a pretty good job in tidying up the squad. But little strength in depth and some obvious weaknesses imo.

Am I right in saying that we are closer to the top of the league, points wise, than we were when Manning left ? We can’t help the runs of teams like Derby and Peterborough so I really wouldn’t take much notice of league positioning at this stage. What’s better in January, second and six points off top or fifth and four points away from top ? We will drop some silly points in the remaining games but so will everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom