Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Why? You can have Brannagan without having Browne, Murphy and Henry, can't you?

He certainly meets your criteria of seldom injured and plays to more than a decent level, pretty much every game.

I don't mind Brannagan on an inflated wage. The problem (in terms of squad building) is that whilst he has earnt it, many others haven't.

That's not his fault.
Of course you can. Look at what Jster said and then what I said.

I only said it because Jster originally said '"a couple of good players" as a swap for Brannagan' so whilst on the theme of swaps I decided to add Browne, Henry and Murphy in as well.

If Brannagan is on £12k a week then we're overpaying him. You're right, that's not his fault. Personally I don't think it's worth it, but there are far bigger problems in terms of value for money than him.

Nobody has picked you up on this, so I will.

Our playing budget is 2nd in this division. We ARE NOT punching above our weight.

Our owners are putting a lot of money into the playing and non playing sides of the club. In my opinion, those people charged with managing it are not doing a good job with it (this is senior management, and not aimed at Des) so please stop this nonsensical "we're only little Oxford, and should be grateful to be here" rubbish.

I'm grateful that our owners are putting the money in, but very concerned at how it's being squandered.
I've no problem with being challenged. After all although I'm a lifelong fan I do not use contacts from within the club for information, so my comments are really just how I perceive things.
If as you say we have the 2nd biggest budget for players I'll take that as a WOW. But, in terms of where we are with income from matchday revenue then no way are we 2nd, I don't need to do the maths to work that out. So maybe I didn't qualify my statement very well, but I'm content that we're well positioned against where I would expect us to be. And when compared to most Championship teams plus a few in our league then we are "little Oxford" - for now.

No reason to doubt our budget is that high but it's also probably pretty safe to say we're currently wasting a good chunk of it. Brannagan is excellent but I suspect he's being overpaid, then we had Henry's contract to match that and I'm sure we're paying a good chunk to Murphy and Browne who will be long term sick. Speculation from me but I would imagine after Kilmarnock's contribution what we're paying Findlay each month is probably still a good wage for a centre back at this level. Of course every team has injuries and players on deals that don't provide value but I doubt there are many who do so to the extreme that we have for the last couple of years and it's still crippling us. Even then the current board aren't blameless as Grant was in place to oversee the window last summer where plenty of these issues came about and now Des is hamstrung by them.
I hope Henry isn’t matching Cam’s contract as if he is then he’s taking home £12k a week….

As I've said I do think we need assistance- but I don't think you necessarily need a Director of Football to cover Assistant Manager recruitment processes.

And i think calling the team you support "lackluster" when winning away with one of the best goals scored in the UK that day does show remarkable negativity.
A DOF runs the football side of the club. Allowing TW & GF to run the business side of the club. It’s exactly what this club needs and what it has needed for years. All successful clubs run their club in this way.

I hope Henry isn’t matching Cam’s contract as if he is then he’s taking home £12k a week….
I believe he had a clause in his old deal. When Bran signed his contract Henry was announced a day or so after but we spread it over 2 years. Pretty sure he's taking home an absolute packet, especially since he's done now. One of the very best players we've had at the Kassam but when he leave in the summer it will help us enormously.

I believe he had a clause in his old deal. When Bran signed his contract Henry was announced a day or so after but we spread it over 2 years. Pretty sure he's taking home an absolute packet, especially since he's done now. One of the very best players we've had at the Kassam but when he leave in the summer it will help us enormously.
Definitely. I had heard the rumour he was on a ‘match highest earner’ clause but had forgotten about it until now. Literally throwing money down the drain with that one. Horrific value for money. No wonder we haven’t been able to get rid of him.

So will Murphy & Browne leaving.

If we're still in League One, and the owners are still willing to fund us to the same level, then having those three off the wage books and the capacity to spend their inflated wages instead on players who are at their peak/fit to play/more reliable should enable us to build something great.

(that being said, we said the same thing after Hanson left in summer 2022, and we then went and spent his wage and more besides on Murphy......)

That would be nice - but I can see us doing *exactly* the same thing with Kyle Edwards. Great talent, often injured, we are rehabilitating him and I suspect that is with a view to signing him in the summer.

Definitely. I had heard the rumour he was on a ‘match highest earner’ clause but had forgotten about it until now. Literally throwing money down the drain with that one. Horrific value for money. No wonder we haven’t been able to get rid of him.

Not true, he's on about 4k a week now

That would be nice - but I can see us doing *exactly* the same thing with Kyle Edwards. Great talent, often injured, we are rehabilitating him and I suspect that is with a view to signing him in the summer.
We're already shedding Manning's crocks and flops, there's plenty of time for Des to accumulate his own! Every club will have them

Average of around 10 injured players at each PL club at the moment, apparently. We're not alone with our injury list.
This is just a theory and I have no facts to back this up, but back in the seventies and eighties ,most of our players would have played 35 plus games in a season ,remember also that there was only the one sub rule, plus there was a full combination programme for those who were injured to try and get back to match fitness. In fact when Liverpool won the European cup and league they used around 16 players all season in 60 plus games.
In our promotion years in the eighties I recall that most of the team played in every match.

Has the advent of more subs, no combination games added to the injury list because of damage mainly to hamstrings where our squad is concerned, or did the likes of Shotton Briggs Hamilton etc play on with injuries and just sucked it up.

But it does seem to me that many of the team who come on/ go off as substitutes seem to have most injuries.
Brannagan, Harris, Moore, Brown, Mc Guane Stevens have played in almost every match and are up to match fitness whereas the likes of Goodrham, Murphy, Mills, Browne, Bodin Edwards Neghru are perhaps not getting enough proper game time and consequently prone to more injuries.

Long and Leigh different sort of injuries and not hamstring related

Just a theory

This is just a theory and I have no facts to back this up, but back in the seventies and eighties ,most of our players would have played 35 plus games in a season ,remember also that there was only the one sub rule, plus there was a full combination programme for those who were injured to try and get back to match fitness. In fact when Liverpool won the European cup and league they used around 16 players all season in 60 plus games.
In our promotion years in the eighties I recall that most of the team played in every match.

Has the advent of more subs, no combination games added to the injury list because of damage mainly to hamstrings where our squad is concerned, or did the likes of Shotton Briggs Hamilton etc play on with injuries and just sucked it up.

But it does seem to me that many of the team who come on/ go off as substitutes seem to have most injuries.
Brannagan, Harris, Moore, Brown, Mc Guane Stevens have played in almost every match and are up to match fitness whereas the likes of Goodrham, Murphy, Mills, Browne, Bodin Edwards Neghru are perhaps not getting enough proper game time and consequently prone to more injuries.

Just a theory
Maybe with the games quicker nowadays and with effectively sprinters as players running stop start with high speed turns they are more susceptible to picking up injuries ? Maybe a sports scientist on here will know and share their view?

Just a theory

I think the closer modern sports science gets you to peak fitness the more injuries you will get. Footballers years ago were fit but not to the extreme of footballers today, a body pushing itself to the limit is more likely to break down/get a more severe injury.
That's why they have monitors/red lines etc but predicting a breakdown is understandably very hard.

Of course you can. Look at what Jster said and then what I said.

I only said it because Jster originally said '"a couple of good players" as a swap for Brannagan' so whilst on the theme of swaps I decided to add Browne, Henry and Murphy in as well.

If Brannagan is on £12k a week then we're overpaying him. You're right, that's not his fault. Personally I don't think it's worth it, but there are far bigger problems in terms of value for money than him.
What sort of a fee, and how much would you have to pay them, to find someone to replace Brannagan though? As far as L1 centre mid's get, you'll struggle to find many as well rounded as him. These days £10k a week is probably quite common for 'big players' at teams at the top end of the table.

Brannagan has 7 goals and 6 assists this season from 27 games, Henry, Browne and Murphy have no goals, 1 assist and have probably played less minutes combined than him, they cost us more than him, I don't think Brannagan is the problem.

Just a theory
In 1968/69, Bayern used a grand total of 13 players across the 34 match season, winning the league by 8 points and wrapping it up with the double by winning the cup.

Back
Top Bottom