• **** New European Championships section: HERE. ****

Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Are you suggesting that the Board are turning down players that Des wants?

Not at all. I am suggesting, having brought one fit outfield player into the club, by 25 January, that the side has not been strengthened as quickly as it should have been.

People are talking about his 'naivety' and 'lack of style' yet he's had one single player added to his squad and a number of departures (in Jan) but hasn't got many first team options to help him build his 'style'.

I Wonder what Dr Freud would make of his inability to find a striker, his desire to reward aging players whose bodies were no longer up to the task, or his sulky falling outs with players he’d been wooing.
I'm not sure our Sigmund would have been au fait with dealings in a football transfer market, to be fair. If so it's probably to do with killing his father and f*cking his mother, or something.

Totally agree. It would be madness. MAPP has had a good season at Lincoln and the rest has been really poor.
Why would it be ridiculous.
You wouldn't want the most successful coach in the last three decades back at the Club.
A promotion and two Wembley cup finals.
Built a fantastic team with some wonderful players that we could certainly do with now.
A team that played with style, purpose and a winning mentality.
If we had appointed Mapp instead of Manning, I believe we would be in a happier place than we are at the moment.

You wouldn't want the most successful coach in the last three decades back at the Club.
Built a fantastic team with some wonderful players that we could certainly do with now.
If we had appointed Mapp instead of Manning, I believe we would be in a happier place than we are at the moment.

He did a cracking job at Charlton....

Not at all. I am suggesting, having brought one fit outfield player into the club, by 25 January, that the side has not been strengthened as quickly as it should have been.

People are talking about his 'naivety' and 'lack of style' yet he's had one single player added to his squad and a number of departures (in Jan) but hasn't got many first team options to help him build his 'style'.
Not disagreeing with that, but I am.just interested in what you think that he hasn't been supported.
Maybe it is Waldron and Des who haven't managed to find available players ( Manning seems to he having a similar problem at Bristol)

One season, you might not be old enough to remember Dennis Smith in the 90’s

Not disagreeing with that, but I am.just interested in what you think that he hasn't been supported.
Maybe it is Waldron and Des who haven't managed to find available players ( Manning seems to he having a similar problem at Bristol)
Thought that Waldron had been looking since the end of the summer transfer window.

Why? Because other than Oxford and 1 season at Lincoln, his record is pretty awful.
Why do you think that he would repeat his success? The likelihood based on his career would suggest that it would be a disaster

Why? Because other than Oxford and 1 season at Lincoln, his record is pretty awful.
Why do you think that he would repeat his success? The likelihood based on his career would suggest that it would be a disaster
Obviously it’s tempting in a way, but Denis and Jim Smith #2 weren’t a success. Though Nathan Jones #2 at Luton was …

Though Nathan Jones #2 at Luton was …
Well, yes, unless you think him snaking off not once, but twice, when what he thought was a prittier girl batted her eyelashes in his direction is cause for caution.

Also I’d like to add, that for some bizarre reason Managers and coach’s just happen to do well at certain clubs. Why this is.. is a bit of a mystery, but it’s true.

I believe Mapps is good for Oxford, and Oxford is good for Mapps. It’s a great fit, and we played some of the best counter attacking football I’ve seen under him.

Also I’d like to add, that for some bizarre reason Managers and coach’s just happen to do well at certain clubs. Why this is.. is a bit of a mystery, but it’s true.

I believe Mapps is good for Oxford, and Oxford is good for Mapps. It’s a great fit, and we played some of the best counter attacking football I’ve seen under him.

We don't have Mark Ashton at the club anymore to build the foundations for that success.

Well, yes, unless you think him snaking off not once, but twice, when what he thought was a prittier girl batted her eyelashes in his direction is cause for caution.
They all do that! He very much founded their success, but they’ve managed to carry it on seamlessly with new guys

He knows what makes the club tick.
He knows the expectations of the fans.
He knows the Club's ambitions.
I'm sure with his experience and the financial backing from the board, he would have the tools to help the Club fulfill it's goals.

Mark Ashton didn't set the team up, the formation, the tactics or the style of play.

No but he was integral to turning the club from a middling League Two side to promotion contenders. If you're writing off his impact on the team and the club as a whole, you're severely underestimating the impact he had.

Makes Tim and Grant look like amateurs.

We don't have Mark Ashton at the club anymore to build the foundations for that success.
Yep. Appleton had a good spell at Lincoln but hasn't done particularly well anywhere else since leaving us (although he has been at some basket case clubs). I think it's becoming increasingly obvious what a good DoF adds to a club and how much of our success under Appleton should be shared by Ashton.

We were really slick whilst Appleton was here and our recruitment was top notch. Appleton obviously bought into that and would've no doubt been a convincing factor in bringing in talent. Players knew that he wanted them to play good stuff and showcase their talent, meaning they then could earn a move higher up, but Ashton was the one setting the tone for everything.

Ipswich have progressed enormously since they appointed him in 2021.

No but he was integral to turning the club from a middling League Two side to promotion contenders. If you're writing off his impact on the team and the club as a whole, you're severely underestimating the impact he had.

Makes Tim and Grant look like amateurs.
I'm not underestimating the roll Mark Ashton played.
Mapp would have identified the players he wanted, it was Ashton's job to persuade those players to join.
That was the end of his remit.
It was then Mapp's job to build a team around those players.
A team good enough to match the Club's expectations of promotion.
I believe he more than succeeded.

I really liked Appleton when he was here. Eventually! He started off awfully though - 7 points in his first 10 games in L2, having had a fair chunk of the summer to sort stuff out and get some players.

Let's not pretend we were all convinced initially - because we weren't. Buckingham's record over his first 10 games is better than that, with no real chance to get things organised or players he wants until now. That is not to say (of course) that because Appleton came good Buckingham will as well - but despite the understandable doubts, we have to give him some time.

I reserve the right to moan though...

Back
Top Bottom