Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I seem to remember him playing quite well against us for Stevenage. I felt vaguely irritated and betrayed.
You only felt betrayed at that point? I felt mugged off having to watch his performances after he signed his contract after being on loan!

Some managers do go back, and achieve great things.

Nathan Jones did it at Luton. No reason why Mapps wouldn’t do it here.
I think that most oufc supporters realise what a fantastic job he did here, but also that he has been pretty awful in most of the rest of his career.
'Don't go back' is a saying that many have used. Generally it is good advice.

Ashton was the driving force behind securing the transfers and yes Appleton gave Us a good season with the promotion and gave us 2 good seasons but then jumped ship.
Your live in for Mapp is duly noted now let’s move on.
Well that was hard work.
We got there in the end, acknowledgement for what Appleton gave us.
Thanks for duly noting my love in for Mapp.
I concur, let's move on.

Well that was hard work.
I concur, let's move on.
MAPP did a great job after his very slow start. I can't think that any Oxford fan doesn't recognise those great days.
But most, I suspect, would think that it wouod be a big mistake if he came back

Some managers do go back, and achieve great things.

Nathan Jones did it at Luton. No reason why Mapps wouldn’t do it here.
So apart from the 1 example you’ve given, any others that have gone back and done well?

I can only think of Darren Ferguson at Peterborough and Jones at Luton.

Well that was hard work.
I concur, let's move on.
Yep let’s move on and far away from this Mapp bullshit but I the last Three decades he certainly beast the best and no wouldn’t want him back here.

Yep let’s move on and far away from this Mapp bullshit but I the last Three decades he certainly beast the best and no wouldn’t want him back here.
Who would you want, I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

So apart from the 1 example you’ve given, any others that have gone back and done well?

I can only think of Darren Ferguson at Peterborough and Jones at Luton.

I wasn’t asked to give a list of the amount of examples there are, where managers have gone back and been successful. Im just giving an example that it can work. Yes there are more that go back and it doesn’t work, but it doesn’t automatically mean Appleton would be a failure if he came back.

• React
Reactions: Nox
This graph is wrong by miles
LM got 24 pts first 10 games to DBs 15
Or am I missing something?

You're definitely missing something, it was nowhere near 24.

That said, I don't think it was a very fair comparison.

You're definitely missing something, it was nowhere near 24.

That said, I don't think it was a very fair comparison.
He did, 8 wins, 2 losses (to Cambridge and Port Vale) I’m not trying to a make point against Des. I support him and he needs time. Just saying the graph is wrong 👍

The comparison with Liam Manning is irrelevant. Manning had the end of last season and a full preseason to establish the way he wanted to play, and to get the players and coaches all working to that one plan. Our results showed that it was working, but it was fragile. A few key injuries and nothing to back up Mark Harris when he was struggling showed how thin or squad was, and how we needed multiple transfer windows to get things right.

Manning then leaves, and takes his assistant and analyst with him, as well as pissing off the goalkeeper coach and disrupting the whole coaching model. At the same time, we had more injuries and the lack of cover in the squad was becoming increasingly apparent.

Des arrives and is stuck between sticking with someone else's system that was having some success, but without the infrastructure to support it, or getting everyone to adapt to his ways of working in the few hours of coaching available between games. And then, even when he has had the time to put his mark on the team, he's barely been able to pick the same starting line up twice in a row because of players missing.

We were happy to give Manning three transfer windows, but some are barely giving Buckingham one before shooting him down. Some think that he has invented the "playing the ball across the back" style, but we did exactly the same under Manning. The difference was that then we had better options to then get the ball forward. Recently we've struggled to get any width to the pitch due to losing all wingers, and have equally lost all of the pace options that allowed us to stretch team. McGuane and Cam are having to come short more often to try to dictate play and that is hampering their game.

Of course we can always look to improve, and we need to do better in the bigger games if we're going to match those around us. But we have to give Des the time he needs to develop his own team and own style.

Back
Top Bottom