General Defence For Next Season?

A few thoughts:

- We need two new starting full backs
- Seddon should be sold / loaned out again
- We need to sign a proper holding midfielder to protect the back four. I'm assuming Gorrin will leave, unfortunately.
Summer 2022 wants its post back. So does Summer 2021.

Maybe this year at least one of these recurring points will be addressed.

Happy to keep Moore and Brown in starting line up, but it really depends what is around them. Brown should be on the Centre left of a three and Moore needs a McNally/Atkinson type alongside him to be at his best. And when he is at his confident best, he is one of the best in the division.

Three clean sheets in the last 7 games and 5 conceded. Moore has been a big contributor to this.
Manning traditionally plays with a more solid defence and personality I would be really surprised if Moore didn't play next season. Let's see.

And that lovely intercept and lay off on Tuesday.

Not that it will happen, but:

Eastwood
Anderson Long Moore Brown Fleming
Under a decent manager is a top-6 back half of a side playing 3 at the back in League One, in my opinion.

Eastwood
Under a decent manager is a top-6 back half of a side playing 3 at the back in League One, in my opinion.
Come on... Easty? Long? The other 3 are passable but this win has gone to our heads.... Even Brown is a push. I think we've forgotten what the top 6 looks like. How do Long & Brown compare to Dickie and Atkinson? That's the level.

FWIW Easty has made some excellent saves, particularly since Xmas. But he's conceded some daft goals over the season and a keeper who can distribute the ball would make us a better team. Long is just not the level required for top 6 IMO but wouldn't dream of shipping him out. Would just have him as cover/experience/leadership. You have him in his best position! I applaud that, at least.

Eastwood
Long: There’s no way SL should be considered as part of a top 6 defender I fell people are living off his past where he had 1 outstanding season since then the drop off has been obvious to see if we have any ambition he’s the 1st name of the back 4 how comes out of the team (he’s a good squad option for covering CB & RB that’s it)

Moore Brown: the only 2 starters who we could build a defensive unit around to compete at top 6 level

Eastwood: I’ve wouldn’t be letting go of Eastwood as he’s more than capable at the level but we need to look at an upgrade in this department to take us to the next level (we’ve witnessed the likes of Michael Cooper at Plymouth play against us that’s the level we need to get to)

Considering how well Manning has appeared to steady the ship and looks to get the best out of everyone, I think it would be unlikely for us to have a complete rebuild. If we stay up then I think those who contributed deserve a place next season.

Manning is not the kind of manager to make drastic changes, but to improve things bit by bit over a long period.

Now is not the time to be talking about promotion to the Championship considering where we have landed so far. It may be much more beneficial to take that pressure off the team for next season so they can feel like they have the time to improve and focus on getting consistent results.

As others have said, it will likely take 2 or 3 transfer windows for Manning to get us to a serious competitive level and we need to be patient.

I certainly think that some additional key players added to this squad would be better than having a complete rebuild. This defensive unit has proved to be effective if a little limited. We should definitely look to make improvements where we can, but I wouldn't be against any of the back 5 remaining alongside new recruits or as solid squad players.
If Robinson was still here it would have been a major overhaul….his words

Eastwood

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] is it April 1st?

Considering how well Manning has appeared to steady the ship and looks to get the best out of everyone, I think it would be unlikely for us to have a complete rebuild. If we stay up then I think those who contributed deserve a place next season.

Manning is not the kind of manager to make drastic changes, but to improve things bit by bit over a long period.

Now is not the time to be talking about promotion to the Championship considering where we have landed so far. It may be much more beneficial to take that pressure off the team for next season so they can feel like they have the time to improve and focus on getting consistent results.

As others have said, it will likely take 2 or 3 transfer windows for Manning to get us to a serious competitive level and we need to be patient.

‘If we stay up then those who contributed deserve a place next season’…. Good god [emoji2359]

Is that the same players that contributed to us needing to win our last 3 games to stay up?

Eastwood
That was a more controversial post than I expected!

First of all, I said top 6 not top 2 for a reason. Do you all think that Bolton, Derby and Peterborough have a side full of nothing but amazing defenders? These sides are losing 11-17 games a season and conceding 34-54 goals - they’re not infallible.

Yes, Eastwood absolutely I would upgrade if I could, and Sam Long too. But the other four could carry them / they have been known to perform above their level for long periods of time.

Perhaps what I should have said is that, if they’re all fully fit and on ok or decent form, then Moore and Brown in a back 3, with Anderson and Fleming as wingbacks, is as good a defence as any other of the lower playoff-chasing sides will have next season - and I challenge anyone to disagree with that.

We simply won't have the budget for next season to do a complete rebuild. We should be looking at bringing in quality in 5 or 6 key positions as well as adding development players to the squad.

A lot will depend on who leaves, but we'll definitely need RWB and LWB if we're going for a back 3/5. In addition, a DCM and 2 strikers would make up the main recruitment, and it's where we should put most of our budget.

I know that there will be those saying that we also need 2 new keepers, 2 more full backs, a centre back, playmakers, wingers and half a dozen development players too, but a big chuck of our playing budget will have already been used on the current squads wages.

The scatter gun approach to recruitment hasn't worked, we need to get the right players in but also get those that we have playing better.

We simply won't have the budget for next season to do a complete rebuild. We should be looking at bringing in quality in 5 or 6 key positions as well as adding development players to the squad.

A lot will depend on who leaves, but we'll definitely need RWB and LWB if we're going for a back 3/5. In addition, a DCM and 2 strikers would make up the main recruitment, and it's where we should put most of our budget.

I know that there will be those saying that we also need 2 new keepers, 2 more full backs, a centre back, playmakers, wingers and half a dozen development players too, but a big chuck of our playing budget will have already been used on the current squads wages.

The scatter gun approach to recruitment hasn't worked, we need to get the right players in but also get those that we have playing better.
Niall McWilliams said we would. But I do get what you are saying a few quality players to complement what we are going to keep to start next season

I agree to an extent.
I do think that Manning's style of play means that he may want a new ball playing CB and keeper. He will though have to offload at least one keeper and maybe Findlay to be able to do that.
You suggest that he needs to bring in 5 to 6 quality additions. I reckon he will be looking to offload a few players and will be looking to bring in at least a couple more

Just looking at this again, I reckon the following could potentially leave
Fleming
Gorrin
Baldock
Bate
Smith
Konate
Joseph ( too expensive?)
Anderson

Seddon and Taylor

So 8 plus maybe a keeper and CB. If that happens, that is quite a turnaround and means that there is quite a scope for Manning to get his own players in.

I agree to an extent.
I do think that Manning's style of play means that he may want a new ball playing CB and keeper. He will though have to offload at least one keeper and maybe Findlay to be able to do that.
You suggest that he needs to bring in 5 to 6 quality additions. I reckon he will be looking to offload a few players and will be looking to bring in at least a couple more

I agree that we would need to replace anyone moving on, but that depends on these players wanting to leave and/or other clubs wanting them.

I agree that we would need to replace anyone moving on, but that depends on these players wanting to leave and/or other clubs wanting them.
Players could have their contracts paid up but it does depend on how committed the owners are especially after Robinson spunked the best budget rumoured to be a top 6 budget up the wall

Back
Top Bottom