Defence

KR was very clear at the start of the season that Ruffles was the back up left back to Garbutt when he was questioned about only having 1 left back

I actually think Ruffels & Hanson are in the side on merit.

Ruffels is better than Garbutt or Long.

Hanson is better than Long or Norman was. It’s a close call between Hanson & McMahon, but that’s academic as McMahon’s gone back up north. Hanson was excellent against Portsmouth.

As has been said before Dickie is not comfortable on the left side of central defence, plus he’s obviously going through a loss of form at the moment and could probably do with a break. Perhaps the ‘plan’ is to get Kashi fit, play him defensive midfield with Mousinho taking the place of Dickie?

Mousinho makes a huge difference to the side when he’s playing in front of the back four, not just as a player but as a leader and organiser, and we plainly miss him when he’s not in the starting XI. Mousinho might look a better central defender with a better defensive midfielder* in front of him than he has had before in his OUFC career.

*Whether Kashi (when fit) is a better defensive midfield option than Hanson, Ruffels, Brannigan or Mousinho remains to be seen.

The defence is far from perfect, but for me it’s the striker issue which has been our biggest issue from day one of the season. Poor, poor recruitment whichever way you look at it.

Last edited:
I actually think Ruffels & Hanson are in the side on merit.

Ruffels is better than Garbutt or Long.

Hanson is better than Long or Norman was. It’s a close call between Hanson & McMahon, but that’s academic as McMahon’s gone back up north. Hanson was excellent against Portsmouth.

As has been said before Dickie is not comfortable on the left side of central defence, plus he’s obviously going through a loss of form at the moment and could probably do with a break. Perhaps the ‘plan’ is to get Kashi fit, play him defensive midfield with Mousinho taking the place of Dickie?

Mousinho makes a huge difference to the side when he’s playing in front of the back four, not just as a player but as a leader and organiser, and we plainly miss him when he’s not in the starting XI. Mousinho might look a better central defender with a better defensive midfielder* in front of him than he has had before in his OUFC career.

*Whether Kashi (when fit) is a better defensive midfield option than Hanson, Ruffels, Brannigan or Mousinho remains to be seen.

The defence is far from perfect, but for me it’s the striker issue which has been our biggest issue from day one of the season. Poor, poor recruitment whichever way you look at it.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m in no way saying we don’t need a striker actually two. What gets me is that KR, the club hasn’t even mentioned the defence and it’s obvious to anyone who knows b****r all about football that we look all over the place at times.

Rather than cringe in embarrassment that we played so badly at Bury he just shrugged off the issue by offering to refund 101 people. No questions asked. Incredibly short in so many positions and playing patchwork selections each week but I wouldnt be surprised if we see one or two out next week and no one in at all. Ready for the forum meltdown? Still good enough to stay up if the workman knows how to use his tools. Can see whats coming - already called them bad players - oh the fun :)

All players in the back 4 are good players in themselves, what is lacking is good management, coaching, and organisation.
We have an assistant manager who has played 800 odd games at centre half but seems incapable of putting any structure in the defence and the supporting midfielders when the opposition are attacking.
I very much doubt our manager gives them much motivation and confidence. He probably barks out different, contradictory instructions each training session and each match.

The defence has not been as good recently.
Personally I am not worried about the full backs. I would class Ruffels almost as a left back now and Hanson has spent a lot of his career as full back.
I couldn't make last week but mates who Went all had Hanson as one of the best 5 Oxford players v Pompey.
In perspective Pompey had 5 shots and TWO on target last Saturday against Pompey who have scored 47 goals this season.
To me the problems have been due to Dickie having a dodgy month or so.
As a team we need to defend better.
On the basis that the deadline finishes wednnesdatband it is likely that we will get in one or 2 players a striker is of far more importance in my view.

All players in the back 4 are good players in themselves, what is lacking is good management, coaching, and organisation.
We have an assistant manager who has played 800 odd games at centre half but seems incapable of putting any structure in the defence and the supporting midfielders when the opposition are attacking.
I very much doubt our manager gives them much motivation and confidence. He probably barks out different, contradictory instructions each training session and each match.
Really? The manager 'probably barks out different contradictorary instructions each training session and match' Are you seriously? Do you have any evidence of that?
One of the more ridiculous comments in my view.
The two shots on target v Pompey was clearly just a fluke!

Back
Top Bottom