General Defence For Next Season?

East Stand Fan

Since Manning has taken over, we actually look pretty solid at the back and have restricted many of the opposing sides to few clear-cut chances. Sure there's been a couple of blips against the likes of Barnsley and Bolton and we also conceded excellent strikes against Sheff Wed and Pompey, but on the whole, we actually look extremely comfortable for long periods and Eastwood has been rarely troubled. It's not overly pretty, nor are we zipping the ball around with much finesse, but we are looking confident along the back and it's making the opposition work off the ball. Even under Robinson, aside from Ipswich away, we were never truly hammered either but only now is their confidence in that area of the pitch. It's got me wondering how we will line up next season..

Long is on a long-term deal so he will likely retain his place and the way Moore and Findlay have been working together, it could very well see them also keep their places. Ideally I would like another Dickie or McNally but Stuart is finally beginning to find his feet. He does have his critics and I have been one of them but he is displaying some strong performances and growing in confidence. Ciaron Brown, who I regard as a contender for player of the year has done very well out of position and I think he does better out there than when playing in the centre. Sadly I don't know if we can have another season of him in this role and we should instead look for a recognised left back. With Findlay and Moore's partnership becoming somewhat established, I can't see where he could fit in terms of the starting XI.

Manning however may decide for a wholesale change across the back but I'm not sure if this will happen, especially anytime soon. He will probably need 3 windows to get the squad he wants and even then it's a question of our budget and aspirations. If we are stuck with the same defence for next season it may not be too bad after all. The way we are playing and the linkup play with the likes of CB and McGuane is also proving a massive positive. After seeing how atrocious Cheltenham were at the back last night, things could be a lot worse for us..

Elliott Moore has been an absolute colossus the last few games. A couple of months ago I wouldn’t have been bothered if he stayed or went in the summer but now he’s become an essential player and we should be building our defence around him on recent performances. He’s stepped up and become a leader by example.

I’d also tentatively say the same about Eastwood and Stuart Findlay is also improving game on game.

Liam Manning definitely seems to be making the players better, especially in defence.

Since Manning has taken over, we actually look pretty solid at the back and have restricted many of the opposing sides to few clear-cut chances. Sure there's been a couple of blips against the likes of Barnsley and Bolton and we also conceded excellent strikes against Sheff Wed and Pompey, but on the whole, we actually look extremely comfortable for long periods and Eastwood has been rarely troubled. It's not overly pretty, nor are we zipping the ball around with much finesse, but we are looking confident along the back and it's making the opposition work off the ball. Even under Robinson, aside from Ipswich away, we were never truly hammered either but only now is their confidence in that area of the pitch. It's got me wondering how we will line up next season..

Long is on a long-term deal so he will likely retain his place and the way Moore and Findlay have been working together, it could very well see them also keep their places. Ideally I would like another Dickie or McNally but Stuart is finally beginning to find his feet. He does have his critics and I have been one of them but he is displaying some strong performances and growing in confidence. Ciaron Brown, who I regard as a contender for player of the year has done very well out of position and I think he does better out there than when playing in the centre. Sadly I don't know if we can have another season of him in this role and we should instead look for a recognised left back. With Findlay and Moore's partnership becoming somewhat established, I can't see where he could fit in terms of the starting XI.

Manning however may decide for a wholesale change across the back but I'm not sure if this will happen, especially anytime soon. He will probably need 3 windows to get the squad he wants and even then it's a question of our budget and aspirations. If we are stuck with the same defence for next season it may not be too bad after all. The way we are playing and the linkup play with the likes of CB and McGuane is also proving a massive positive. After seeing how atrocious Cheltenham were at the back last night, things could be a lot worse for us..
I think they’ll all be here next year but most of them will be squaddies, depending on where Manning realistically sees us next year. I think he will revisit a back 3, he’d be mad not to having nearly got out of the division that way. But with our standout players yesterday being wingers, maybe not.

I think a new goalkeeper is a certainty; one that can give us the steady Eddie feeling that Easty does but can also pass the ball and save a shot from range. As much as he’s been great at times, that’s an obvious area we can improve the side.

But a back 3 would see Moore and Findlay remain, I’m fairly confident of that, and rightly so. Moore has been phenomenal recently. Findlay is still a bit questionable on the ball but a back 3 would see the passing distances reduced and Manning could work on him over the summer. Defensively he’s as good as you’ll get elsewhere. They’re a brilliant pairing.

Who knows, perhaps Negru takes the RCB slot? But I think we’ll be looking for vast improvements in depth so I’d expect another CB to join. A good one. A quick one. And then it’s about the wing backs - our age old problem. Could Seddon be back in the mix in a properly organised side? Anderson, does he stay? I certainly hope so.

Long and Brown are great cover. Easty likewise but we have Stevens and McGinty to bring through one way or another. But I can’t see us starting next season with this back 5, regardless of their improvement.

Findlay is improving now he has a proper manager to help him. Clearly a good understanding with Moore who is the main man.

We will also hopefully have Negru back at the beginning of last season, he looked really impressive for someone who hadn't played at this level before in the game at Port Vale. Hopefully he can at least provide competition and cover for Moore and Findlay.

We will require a promotion-standard defence. Moore will stay and I wouldn’t be against Brown moving in to be his partner. Neither Findlay or Long are good enough except as backup so this means two decent full backs are required.
And FFS that defensive midfielder.
THEN we can begin to look like a top, er, … 50 team.

"Being better" doesn't equate to getting promoted next season, unfortunately. Nothing to me suggests that the four at the back (and Eastwood behind) are good enough to do that.

Major rebuild needed I think.

We will require a promotion-standard defence. Moore will stay and I wouldn’t be against Brown moving in to be his partner. Neither Findlay or Long are good enough except as backup so this means two decent full backs are required.
And FFS that defensive midfielder.
THEN we can begin to look like a top, er, … 50 team.
How long is Findlay's contract? I can't see another club taking him on the same wages we laid out for him.

Negru is promising. It also depends whether Manning likes to play with wing backs or full backs.

I'd hazard a guess that a proper, experienced defensive midfielder (or two) would actually improve the performance of all those behind him. Then McGuane and Brannagan (for example, if they are still here) can play a bit further forward which will also link up the midfield and the attack much better. That doesn't mean that I think the current defence should necessarily be what starts next season!

I always like to keep in mind that football is a team (or perhaps 'squad' nowadays) game and the skill of a manager and recruitment team is probably not so much just buying talented players, it is more putting a team together and making the whole more than the sum of it's parts.

I'd hazard a guess that a proper, experienced defensive midfielder (or two) would actually improve the performance of all those behind him. Then McGuane and Brannagan (for example, if they are still here) can play a bit further forward which will also link up the midfield and the attack much better. That doesn't mean that I think the current defence should necessarily be what starts next season!

I always like to keep in mind that football is a team (or perhaps 'squad' nowadays) game and the skill of a manager and recruitment team is probably not so much just buying talented players, it is more putting a team together and making the whole more than the sum of it's parts.

I certainly think that some additional key players added to this squad would be better than having a complete rebuild. This defensive unit has proved to be effective if a little limited. We should definitely look to make improvements where we can, but I wouldn't be against any of the back 5 remaining alongside new recruits or as solid squad players.

Only Ciaran Brown should be a regular next season. None of the defensive unit should be regular starters next season.

I think we should sign two good full backs. And then Long and Brown will keep them out of the side.

I think that Moore has to start.
I suspect that the way Manning wants to play means that he may try and offload Findlay. That still leaves Brown and Negru plus a new CB.
He will want to bring in a new LB and although Eastwood has been really good since Manning came in, I suspect he will want to bring in a new keeper ( but will need to offload 2 out of McGinty, Stevens and Eastwood)
Will he look to offload Anderson? Long will be here to compete with a new RB I would think.
Offloading players will be important as well as bringing in new players

I'm not sure that we'll sign a CB over the summer - not unless we can find a taker for one of ours.
Whether we're playing two or three central defenders (hopefully it won't be another season with four of them) - Moore, Findlay, Brown, Long & Negru is a decent mix. Would I prefer someone who is more comfortable bringing the ball out of central defense in a McNally/Dickie/Atkinson mould? Yes, I would. But it certainly is not a high priority given the players we have already in the building.

But once Manning decides on his preferred formation, we need to either sign two new starting fullbacks (if he's going 4-3-3 or sticking with 4-2-3-1) or two starting wingbacks (if he's reverting to 5-3-2). Seddon can stay as back up, or we can replace him as well if we find a taker.

Findlay: I have a feeling that he will still leave come the summer & return up to Scotland even tho he has improved of late i don’t see him as top quality CB for this level (& that’s what we thought we were getting last summer)

Long: IMO he’s been bang average for the past couple of seasons now & his reward from Robinson just a few weeks before he was sacked was to gift SL a new 3 year contract for his mediocrity this season, week in week out we see him lose possession so easily through slack passing when he’s out of position & I’ve seen him put us on the back foot numerous times, there’s no way he should be in our best 11 from next season onwards League 1 or 2 he should be a squad cover RB/CB that’s it at best

Brown: depending how Manning sets us up next season whether that’s a back 5 or a back 4 I would prefer him to play the left of a 3 if we play 5-3-2 or cover in 4-2-3-1 for CB/LB

Moore: no issues with him he had a spell during our run of defeats before KR’s sacking where you could see his form did drop off but since Manning’s has come in he back to his level fighting & is a decent enough defender at this level

Negru: hopefully a McNally breakthrough season we’ve already seen in his 2 appearances he’s got something about him

Improvements:

What we know is they’re 4 key areas for us to improve on straight from the off next season & that’s both Right & Left Wingbacks, a top quality Defensive Midfielder & 1st choice Goalkeeper

Exits:

I wouldn’t bother renewing Anderson’s contract he blows hot & cold there’s not enough consistency with him I think we could get better value for money on the wages he gets

Gorrin has to move on now along with Jack Stevens & Steve Seddon

Moore is too slow and lacks agility in my opinion. Just look at the number of clean sheets this season, wholesale change is needed at the back.

Moore is too slow and lacks agility in my opinion. Just look at the number of clean sheets this season, wholesale change is needed at the back.
Three clean sheets in the last 7 games and 5 conceded. Moore has been a big contributor to this.
Manning traditionally plays with a more solid defence and personality I would be really surprised if Moore didn't play next season. Let's see.

A few thoughts:

- We need two new starting full backs
- Seddon should be sold / loaned out again
- I would try to offload Findlay if possible. May not be easy as I imagine he's probably on a healthy wedge
- We need to sign a proper holding midfielder to protect the back four. I'm assuming Gorrin will leave, unfortunately.
- Although he's not been at his best season, I think Moore is a solid League One CB. He needs someone a bit more mobile alongside him, though. I commented on the first day of the season vs Derby that I thought him and Findlay were too slow and ponderous as a pair, and I still stand by that.

Back
Top Bottom