Current Squad - Keep or Let Go

A few key players will be entering the last year of their contract so it will be interesting to see if we’re able to get them to extend, and if not, if we stand firm in rejecting bids from other clubs.

The main ones I’m thinking of are: Nelson, Ledson, and Eastwood. The only one I can see signing an extension is Eastwood. And I think if we receive suitable bids for Nelson and Ledson they will be off.

Add to that the likes of Rothwell, Thomas, Ricardinho, Martin, Williamson and Tiendalli will all be at the end of their current contracts. Of that group, the only three I’d like to see us extend are Rothwell, Thomas, and Ricardinho but I wouldn’t be surprised if the former already has another club ligned up.

Some of our youth team products will also be leaving I imagine, unless we can agree favourable deals with them. Ashby will almost certainly be departing, but I wouldn’t be averse to extensions for Long and Roberts.

I’d also like to see the following released or made available for transfer: Pekalski, Mehmeti, Obika, and Hemmings.

Out of all the loanees, the only one I’d be interested in retaining on a permanent basis is Kane.

So, based on the above, we’d be starting next season with a squad of:

Keepers:

Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens

Defenders:

Kane
Dickie
Raglan
Mousinho
Ricardinho
Long
Carroll
Kelleher

Midfielders:

Brannagan
Ruffels
Hall
Napa
Henry

Forwards:

Thomas
Roberts

So, we’d almost certainly need: 2 wingers, 2 central midfielders, 2/3 strikers. If Ricardinho doesn’t extend then we’d also need a LB. some may also argue we’ll need another CB. This will almost certainly be the case if either Raglan or Mousinho leave.

It’s going to be an interesting summer, that’s for sure!

Roberts and Long will both be long gone, neither offers anything, with Mapp, clothead and Faz all not including them in anything, apart for one game for Roberts on bench. Long is an injury liability, with limited skillset.

Even though Guisley have been relegated, with a return of 3 goals in four months, they will not be looking to Robert's stay.

I cannot see KR looking to use up budget money on a 22 year old, unable to cut it in the conference, if he is looking for push towards the championship.

I believe Sam Long's contract was extended to allow him to fully recover from his nasty injury, using the clubs facilities before looking to find another club.

I would definitely keep Thomas as a squad player for another season. I’d like to see us keep all our midfield (not loanee Mowatt) including Pekalski. He owes us a season! I’d like to see the following go;

Mehmeti
Obika
Mowatt
Long
Williamson
Martin
Raglan
Roberts

Hopefully we can offer Kane a contract as well as securing Rothwell, Ledson & Nelson. I’d also keep Ricci on another year. He’s a good player at this level.

I'd also definitely keep Wes Thomas. A very good finisher for this level. Makes intelligent runs that are not always seen. Would score quite a few in a good team.
And does his fair share of defending.

I would definitely keep Thomas as a squad player for another season. I’d like to see us keep all our midfield (not loanee Mowatt) including Pekalski. He owes us a season! I’d like to see the following go;

Mehmeti
Obika
Mowatt
Long
Williamson
Martin
Raglan
Roberts

Hopefully we can offer Kane a contract as well as securing Rothwell, Ledson & Nelson. I’d also keep Ricci on another year. He’s a good player at this level.

I like Mehmeti as he clearly gives 110 percent when on the field and any player that does that I can't dislike. However I agree that sadly he is probably not league 1 standard and will go.

Roberts and Long will both be long gone, neither offers anything, with Mapp, clothead and Faz all not including them in anything, apart for one game for Roberts on bench. Long is an injury liability, with limited skillset.

Even though Guisley have been relegated, with a return of 3 goals in four months, they will not be looking to Robert's stay.

I cannot see KR looking to use up budget money on a 22 year old, unable to cut it in the conference, if he is looking for push towards the championship.

I believe Sam Long's contract was extended to allow him to fully recover from his nasty injury, using the clubs facilities before looking to find another club.
Long has been out on loan at Hampton & Richmond since his recovery to get a regular run of games under his belt rather than sit around here not playing (as the U23s/devs have barely had a single game in 2018) . Has done very well as far as I understand. Baptiste has been there as well gaining goo d experience too.
Guisley made that decision some time ago with both of their main loanees, (Roberts and Adam Crook from Forest), as a new manager decided he wanted to use his own players who will be there long term, rather than loanees, despite both the latter having been doing very well up to that point. Forest recalled Crook, Faz left Roberts there.
The other one of that generation, Josh Ashby, was just left to train with the scholars since recovering from injury.

Anyway, I suspect all three will be leaving this summer, but will find clubs of a decent level (Conference or above) willing to take them, so I suspect it won't be the last we hear of them.

I think all strikers will go GVK sent back, JO given away or paid off, WT, AM and JR let go, KH sold/ free. Robinson will move lots of the squad on, those 6 plus the 2 Man City players, the lad from Brazil will be offered a new contract but not the contact that was going to be triggered if he was to play again this season. He will only keep a handful of the squad, he will let 2/3Center backs go TD definitely gone and 2 from midfield JA and AM 13 or 14 plus maybe the reserve goal keeper

we will have trouble off loading anyone who has a contract that we don’t want, I should imagine they won’t get a similar offer in wages after struggling at a club in a league one relegation battle, nobody will pay Obika what we pay him, he has struggled for two seasons now and has injury problems, he will be a squad player next season before dropping down a level after that.

I doubt we will keep anyone who is out of contract where we don’t have an extension clause, most you wouldn’t want and Rothwell will probably get an offer from other clubs.

Robinson will want to clear out as much as he can, the squad has to many players, he will probably be able to bring in less players than he would like because of that, but the entire attack needs new players, he has worked a miracle in finding a way to keep us up with no pace,width or penetration, but he can’t do that over a season.

we will have trouble off loading anyone who has a contract that we don’t want, I should imagine they won’t get a similar offer in wages after struggling at a club in a league one relegation battle, nobody will pay Obika what we pay him, he has struggled for two seasons now and has injury problems, he will be a squad player next season before dropping down a level after that.

I doubt we will keep anyone who is out of contract where we don’t have an extension clause, most you wouldn’t want and Rothwell will probably get an offer from other clubs.

Robinson will want to clear out as much as he can, the squad has to many players, he will probably be able to bring in less players than he would like because of that, but the entire attack needs new players, he has worked a miracle in finding a way to keep us up with no pace,width or penetration, but he can’t do that over a season.

But we do have some great young players to build the team around. Perhaps who we bring in and when it happens will influence those (Rothwell...) who stay. From what I've seen on here, I think we (fans) are pretty unanimous in who we would like to keep.

A few key players will be entering the last year of their contract so it will be interesting to see if we’re able to get them to extend, and if not, if we stand firm in rejecting bids from other clubs.

The main ones I’m thinking of are: Nelson, Ledson, and Eastwood. The only one I can see signing an extension is Eastwood. And I think if we receive suitable bids for Nelson and Ledson they will be off.

Add to that the likes of Rothwell, Thomas, Ricardinho, Martin, Williamson and Tiendalli will all be at the end of their current contracts. Of that group, the only three I’d like to see us extend are Rothwell, Thomas, and Ricardinho but I wouldn’t be surprised if the former already has another club ligned up.

Some of our youth team products will also be leaving I imagine, unless we can agree favourable deals with them. Ashby will almost certainly be departing, but I wouldn’t be averse to extensions for Long and Roberts.

I’d also like to see the following released or made available for transfer: Pekalski, Mehmeti, Obika, and Hemmings.

Out of all the loanees, the only one I’d be interested in retaining on a permanent basis is Kane.

So, based on the above, we’d be starting next season with a squad of:

Keepers:

Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens

Defenders:

Kane
Dickie
Raglan
Mousinho
Ricardinho
Long
Carroll
Kelleher

Midfielders:

Brannagan
Ruffels
Hall
Napa
Henry

Forwards:

Thomas
Roberts

So, we’d almost certainly need: 2 wingers, 2 central midfielders, 2/3 strikers. If Ricardinho doesn’t extend then we’d also need a LB. some may also argue we’ll need another CB. This will almost certainly be the case if either Raglan or Mousinho leave.

It’s going to be an interesting summer, that’s for sure!
Not sure why Raglan is already in the mix ..he's hardly featured for us at L1 so the jury is out as KR still to see him and Hemmings play

Interesting.
I do not believe, Eastwood or Nelson will be allowed to leave
I would add the following to your list of players to leave,contract or no contract.
Shearer,Raglan,Mousinho,Long,Kelleher,Thomas,Roberts and Pekalski.

Last edited:
Let's imagine we all had a deck of football stickers with our current squad in front of us. You have to filter the stickers into two piles; 'Keep' and 'Let Go', knowing that the more players in the latter will free up money and wages to sign replacements in August. Let's forget about current contracts for the sake of this.

The reason I'm posting this, is because a couple of years ago - I think I would have retained a majority of the squad. Not so much anymore! I feel that we need a complete refresh - with the lack of work ethic, passion, leadership and attacking threat being my main concerns.

Keep
Eastwood
- The best keeper we have had for a long time.
Nelson - Great young defender with plenty of experience behind him.
Hall - Inconsistent, but shines every now and then - and is a more traditional winger. He does take people on.
Ledson - Solid ball winning central midfielder at this level.
Mousinho - Many may not agree, but based on his experience - I think he's definitely worth keeping as a versatile squad player.
Raglan - I see Raglan as a solid 3rd or 4th CB, and he has proved his worth.
Ruffels - Great season last year, and deserves a chance to rediscover that form.
Napa - Has looked decent in his limited time on the pitch. Hopefully one for the future.
Mowatt (Loan) - Absolute gamble. He has shown glimpses of class that you'd expect of a championship player. If he finds some consistency, then I would keep him (if possible!).

Let Go
Thomas
- Although he is a good poacher, I still think there are better options out there who are more prolific, with a better all round game.
Obika - I feel he has the potential to shift himself into the 'Keep' pile, but hasn't shown enough thus far this season.
Hemmings - I still feel he could have had a 20+ season in L1 with the right supply, but I think you would have to build a team around him to achieve that.
Henry - He is a good footballer, but can be very frustrating to watch. He has a good game 1 in 3 or 4, and as a winger/wide player - very rarely takes players on.
Williamson - Great start to the season, but tailed off - making some mistakes and probably feeling the effects of ageing.
Martin - He'll end up in L2, or lower when he leaves Oxford.
Tiendalli - Concerns over fitness, positioning, and regularly seems to make mistakes. Not a fans favourite. Replace him with someone in the 'Baldock' mould.
Mehmeti - Maybe harsh to judge so early, but just hasn't looked like the type of player that will concern L1 defenders.
Xemi - The buzz around Xemi died quite quickly after his first few appearances. It's a shame, but I don't think he'll get enough game time to prove doubters (like me) wrong.
Ricardinho - The early signs were very exciting! - He's getting on a bit, and I'd rather we got hold of a young and aspiring wing back.
Rothwell - This guy has the potential to play blinders, but I don't think he's going to have a big enough impact consistently on L1 matches. Having said that, I do think given a run of games, he could push himself to folks' 'Keep' piles.
van Kessel (loan) - The arrogance the guy showed in his first few interviews was incredible - so much so that I (and probably he) thought he was going to score 48 goals this year. This chap won't be signing for £800-900k in the summer...!
Roberts - It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but I think he should head to a conference team and play regular football. If he cracks that, he'll be back in the football league.
Carroll - A tough one, because I like the chap - but MApp thought he'd end up being a defensive midfielder, and I agree that he would be better suited there. He's never going to be a marauding full back, and technique can often let him down. I think he'll end up in L2/Conference (not with us...).

Too early to judge:
Brannagan
- Please god, be good.
Pekalski - I honestly don't think even Pep knows how good this guy is.
Dickie - Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get much of a shot, but I hope he does!
Buckley-Ricketts (Loan) - TBC
Thimas, Obika, roberts, Mousinho,
Let's imagine we all had a deck of football stickers with our current squad in front of us. You have to filter the stickers into two piles; 'Keep' and 'Let Go', knowing that the more players in the latter will free up money and wages to sign replacements in August. Let's forget about current contracts for the sake of this.

The reason I'm posting this, is because a couple of years ago - I think I would have retained a majority of the squad. Not so much anymore! I feel that we need a complete refresh - with the lack of work ethic, passion, leadership and attacking threat being my main concerns.

Keep
Eastwood
- The best keeper we have had for a long time.
Nelson - Great young defender with plenty of experience behind him.
Hall - Inconsistent, but shines every now and then - and is a more traditional winger. He does take people on.
Ledson - Solid ball winning central midfielder at this level.
Mousinho - Many may not agree, but based on his experience - I think he's definitely worth keeping as a versatile squad player.
Raglan - I see Raglan as a solid 3rd or 4th CB, and he has proved his worth.
Ruffels - Great season last year, and deserves a chance to rediscover that form.
Napa - Has looked decent in his limited time on the pitch. Hopefully one for the future.
Mowatt (Loan) - Absolute gamble. He has shown glimpses of class that you'd expect of a championship player. If he finds some consistency, then I would keep him (if possible!).

Let Go
Thomas
- Although he is a good poacher, I still think there are better options out there who are more prolific, with a better all round game.
Obika - I feel he has the potential to shift himself into the 'Keep' pile, but hasn't shown enough thus far this season.
Hemmings - I still feel he could have had a 20+ season in L1 with the right supply, but I think you would have to build a team around him to achieve that.
Henry - He is a good footballer, but can be very frustrating to watch. He has a good game 1 in 3 or 4, and as a winger/wide player - very rarely takes players on.
Williamson - Great start to the season, but tailed off - making some mistakes and probably feeling the effects of ageing.
Martin - He'll end up in L2, or lower when he leaves Oxford.
Tiendalli - Concerns over fitness, positioning, and regularly seems to make mistakes. Not a fans favourite. Replace him with someone in the 'Baldock' mould.
Mehmeti - Maybe harsh to judge so early, but just hasn't looked like the type of player that will concern L1 defenders.
Xemi - The buzz around Xemi died quite quickly after his first few appearances. It's a shame, but I don't think he'll get enough game time to prove doubters (like me) wrong.
Ricardinho - The early signs were very exciting! - He's getting on a bit, and I'd rather we got hold of a young and aspiring wing back.
Rothwell - This guy has the potential to play blinders, but I don't think he's going to have a big enough impact consistently on L1 matches. Having said that, I do think given a run of games, he could push himself to folks' 'Keep' piles.
van Kessel (loan) - The arrogance the guy showed in his first few interviews was incredible - so much so that I (and probably he) thought he was going to score 48 goals this year. This chap won't be signing for £800-900k in the summer...!
Roberts - It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but I think he should head to a conference team and play regular football. If he cracks that, he'll be back in the football league.
Carroll - A tough one, because I like the chap - but MApp thought he'd end up being a defensive midfielder, and I agree that he would be better suited there. He's never going to be a marauding full back, and technique can often let him down. I think he'll end up in L2/Conference (not with us...).

Too early to judge:
Brannagan
- Please god, be good.
Pekalski - I honestly don't think even Pep knows how good this guy is.
Dickie - Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get much of a shot, but I hope he does!
Buckley-Ricketts (Loan) - TBC

Get rid of Henry??? The one player of genuine quality who is proven at a higher level? Bizarre.

When KR became the first manager to play him in his best position - No 10 - he was irresistible.

That decision, plus KR’s ability to coAch shape, has probably kept us up.

Fortunately he’s on a Good deal so he’s not going anywhere.

Thomas, Obika, Roberts, Long, Mousinho, Pekalski, Tiendalli, Ricardinho (sorry, he can’t defend), Martin, Williamson, Mowatt and the hopeless City loaners can go.

Ledson’s deal is pre-agreed I think

If Ledson does go I think we should put in that he comes back on a years loan, just to help him develop that bit more. Or is that not an option anymore?

Get rid of Henry??? The one player of genuine quality who is proven at a higher level? Bizarre.

When KR became the first manager to play him in his best position - No 10 - he was irresistible.

That decision, plus KR’s ability to coAch shape, has probably kept us up.

Fortunately he’s on a Good deal so he’s not going anywhere.

A lot changes in four months...

I think Mowatt could be ours too at the end of the season if we want him. Have to say I wouldn’t be unhappy if he signed for us. He’s starting to find his feet and could be a very good asset. I think he needs to find a club that believes in him and settle down for a while
We should keep Mowatt just because he slapped an ex scummer. Proper yellow, there.

Back
Top Bottom