Matches Crewe

Welcome to the forum. If you’re anything like namesake and regular poster @bazzer9461 - well, god help us all ...

I think that the self-isolation for Beckles was actually 10 days as he was asymptomatic so was allowed to play against Wigan.

It came as a surprise to them to see him playing too!

Welcome to the forum. If you’re anything like namesake and regular poster @bazzer9461 - well, god help us all ...

I think that the self-isolation for Beckles was actually 10 days as he was asymptomatic so was allowed to play against Wigan.

It came as a surprise to them to see him playing too!

[URL

Think his point is everyone on the crewe bus should have self isolated after being near beckles.
Yes as the government states if you come in contact you must self isolate for 14 days which none of the crewe team clearly didn't as they played wigan so as a club they broke the rules so KR is justified in what he said

For the benefit of anyone who missed the Artell rant, Google handily keeps a cache...

Boss remains livid that Tuesday night's game was postponed and he lays down the facts here for our fans.

David Artell has passionately defended the integrity of Crewe Alexandra after the club were unfairly criticised for the postponement of Tuesday night’s fixture at Oxford United.

The Alex boss was understandably livid that the fixture was postponed with his squad ready to depart.

On Tuesday, Crewe Alexandra had no positive cases of Covid-19, no first-team players or staff reporting any symptoms and no players were self-isolating after serving their quarantine period as set by the Government guidelines. Owen Dale and Oli Finney were both available for selection for the Oxford game and Crewe did not break any Covid rules.

Artell says that the EFL did not provide the club with a reason to why the game could not go ahead and he revealed that Crewe, through our club doctor, sought official clarification from the EFL for Omar Beckles to play against Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

Beckles was given that clearance by the EFL medical department to be available for selection.

Artell also revealed that all his players and staff have now all been tested again this week and the club have received no positive results. Everyone is clear to play against Blackpool tomorrow, as they were for Tuesday’s game at Oxford.

The disruption that has caused has evidently affected Artell’s plans for training this week.

The Crewe manager told the club’s official website: “I don’t have an answer for why the game was postponed. That is the honest truth. You are asking the wrong man. Karl Robinson in Oxford seems to be the man with all the answers with the words he spoke in the press this week.

“He questioned the integrity of me and this football club and I think what he has said is a disgrace. It has been all falsehoods, fake news is the modern term, to get that game postponed.

“We had no positive cases, no-one was ill and we were made to say we couldn’t play and I was livid. I am still livid.

“Karl was there talking about the government, the EFL and wanting the three points to their press. I am not having that at all. He didn’t have the facts and if he did, he chose to ignore it. If it is about propaganda and making us out to be the bad guys, then so be it, but I know what went on Tuesday and it is wrong.

“He is there phoning my players, one of them has never even played for him! He just rang him randomly. He is ringing my players on the day of a game. Why are you doing that? I have never heard about it as a player or as a manager. It is ridiculous.

“I completely understand the first postponement because no-one could foresee that happening on the day of the game, but Tuesday was nothing like that.

“I understand that the EFL act cautiously but there has to be some justification to it and not just based on falsehoods and accusations from another football club and them kicking off.

“That is what happens when you cannot test. We have been tested again this week because of this and we have had them all back, players and staff…all negative. I bet there are not many EFL clubs that have been tested twice in two weeks that is for sure.

“That makes it even more disgusting because we were ready to play a game of football on Tuesday and for whatever reason, someone didn’t want to play. You will have to ask him.

Artell added: “We haven’t broken one rule and even the police were involved I am told. Thankfully they came back with no case to answer, like we thought they would. The way this club has been criticised this week is unjust and at times you have to fight back and say what is being said or what has been said is wrong.”

Last edited:
Looks like he had 2 rants today.

Boss: "Things Went On That Have Left A Bad Taste In The Mouth"​

Just now

Large

David Artell says that events surrounding the postponement of Tuesday night’s fixture at Oxford United left a ‘bad taste in the mouth.’
The Crewe Alexandra boss was understandably livid that the game was pulled after he had prepared his team for the re-arranged fixture at the Kassam Stadium. Crewe had no Covid-19 issues going into the game with all players fit and available for selection.

Artell is angered that the integrity of the club was questioned and that the integrity of competition was challenged by Oxford boss Karl Robinson, who went on record to say his team deserved the three points.
Artell told crewealex.net: “The name of our club was dragged through the ringer again this week and we were disappointed because we wanted to play a game of football. That was taken out of our hands because another club kicked off.
“There were a lot of things that went on but it left a bad taste in the mouth. There was a lot of finger pointing and falsehoods made to get that game postponed and I felt it went against the integrity of competition.
“There is a potent virus out there and we know how serious it is. We have done everything as a club that has been asked of us and then to have the game called off with no positive cases or anyone missing through illness, was completely wrong in my book. Our doctor will not risk the health of our players and staff and we believed we were totally safe and clear to play.
“The negative test results have proven that.
“I don’t think I’ve ever seen the board as incredulous as they were on Tuesday. There was a lot of head shaking because we hadn’t done anything wrong and were preparing to travel.
“You can win, lose or draw a game of football and we could well have lost on Tuesday because Oxford are a good team, but the integrity of the competition was called into question by their manager and you will have to ask him why the game was postponed.
“I don’t know if they will pursue the points or not. I don’t know but I will stand up before any independent panel and give them the facts and defend what we did leading up to that game. No problem.
“I don’t know if anything will come of it, we will just have to wait and see.”

So 3 days after the incident, and after Crewe said they wouldn't make any further comment. Artell speaks out and either the write-up or his interview is all over the place.

It uses something that was said AFTER the second postponement and then leads into the Oxford kicking up a stink thing in relation to it being postponed which suggests the two are linked when obviously they can't be.

Robinson gave this interview after Tuesday's game had been postponed - https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...-awarded-points-crewe-broken-rules-says-boss/ - and has said very little since. Him, Chris Williams and Niall McWilliams have all referred to confidentially whilst an EFL investigation is ongoing (on RadOx and ifollow interviews ahead of Peterborough)

"Apparently Karl Robinson has got all the answers and it's despicable what he's said," said the Crewe manager." - what is despicable? That he said points should be deducted if rules were broken? Isn't that a completely normal thing to suggest? Much like points deductions for fielding ineligible players/going into administration etc. Or is Artell referring to something else entirely but isn't actually saying what.

""There is a problem with testing and it leaves it open for people to manipulate the system. I take my hat off to Karl (Robinson) it was a clever thing to do." - come on Dave, you can't say something like that without backing it up or explaining what you mean.

Also, and very simply, why on this little green Earth would we want to postpone the damned thing AGAIN? Ah well, at least it probably gets the game a slot on Sky. Oh. Wait…

Now THAT is clever!

But that wasn't where they stood on Tuesday, not according to Artell's interview anyway.

He said today, "We have been tested again this week because of this and we have had them all back, players and staff…all negative. I bet there are not many EFL clubs that have been tested twice in two weeks that is for sure."

So they first tested after the first postponement and had 2 further positive tests, you'd expect them to test again before the Wigan game, but according to Artell, they only had a 2nd round of testing following Tuesday's postponement.

Looks like he had 2 rants today.

Boss: "Things Went On That Have Left A Bad Taste In The Mouth"​

Just now

Large

David Artell says that events surrounding the postponement of Tuesday night’s fixture at Oxford United left a ‘bad taste in the mouth.’
The Crewe Alexandra boss was understandably livid that the game was pulled after he had prepared his team for the re-arranged fixture at the Kassam Stadium. Crewe had no Covid-19 issues going into the game with all players fit and available for selection.

Artell is angered that the integrity of the club was questioned and that the integrity of competition was challenged by Oxford boss Karl Robinson, who went on record to say his team deserved the three points.
Artell told crewealex.net: “The name of our club was dragged through the ringer again this week and we were disappointed because we wanted to play a game of football. That was taken out of our hands because another club kicked off.
“There were a lot of things that went on but it left a bad taste in the mouth. There was a lot of finger pointing and falsehoods made to get that game postponed and I felt it went against the integrity of competition.
“There is a potent virus out there and we know how serious it is. We have done everything as a club that has been asked of us and then to have the game called off with no positive cases or anyone missing through illness, was completely wrong in my book. Our doctor will not risk the health of our players and staff and we believed we were totally safe and clear to play.
“The negative test results have proven that.
“I don’t think I’ve ever seen the board as incredulous as they were on Tuesday. There was a lot of head shaking because we hadn’t done anything wrong and were preparing to travel.
“You can win, lose or draw a game of football and we could well have lost on Tuesday because Oxford are a good team, but the integrity of the competition was called into question by their manager and you will have to ask him why the game was postponed.
“I don’t know if they will pursue the points or not. I don’t know but I will stand up before any independent panel and give them the facts and defend what we did leading up to that game. No problem.
“I don’t know if anything will come of it, we will just have to wait and see.”

To be honest, I’d never even heard of the bloke until a couple of weeks ago. But what an absolute cockwomble.

I notice Crewe have taken their website pieces and tweets down.

Press Conference video remains on youtube though.

But that wasn't where they stood on Tuesday, not according to Artell's interview anyway.

He said today, "We have been tested again this week because of this and we have had them all back, players and staff…all negative. I bet there are not many EFL clubs that have been tested twice in two weeks that is for sure."

So they first tested after the first postponement and had 2 further positive tests, you'd expect them to test again before the Wigan game, but according to Artell, they only had a 2nd round of testing following Tuesday's postponement.
I suspect this is the nub of the matter. With Covid + players from the previous weeks testing neither OUFC nor Crewe could be confident that it hadn't spread further without another round of tests. Crewe obviously didn't do this until PHE /EFL got involved.

Artell, this is how you do it........

KR's column in the OM this morning......

Talking about Peterborough "
I have the utmost respect for their manager and also a lot of time for them as a club.
They emailed across on Thursday with a very detailed plan of what we can expect there because of the Covid restrictions and that is something we appreciate".

Also:
"Tuesday was a perfect example. The game against Crewe was cancelled, so we could have sulked or been frustrated, but instead we turned it into a positive and did the best we could under the circumstances".

We weren't allowed to comment on it due to the ongoing EFL investigation. Same must be true of Crewe which is why they've taken it all down.

• React
Reactions: UTM
To be honest, I’d never even heard of the bloke until a couple of weeks ago. But what an absolute cockwomble.
He’s even more “I’m on pills fer me nerves yer know” than KR on a bad day.

Now I know as much as the next person but it sounds like Crewe didn't do another round of testing after the 2 new positive tests last week when they should of. KR has probably asked the question whether they have all been tested to ensure they don't turn up again with Covid on their bus. Crewe hadn't so KR and the club complained Crewe hadn't followed the correct protocols. This gets Artell's back up and he decides it would be a good idea to ramble on like an idiot to the press.

I'd imagine questions would need to be asked over how Beckles was allowed to play last Saturday considering he only did the test on the Thursday (not the Wednesday like people from Crewe said after they realised of the timescales) and would still have to be isolating for the full 10 days. Even with a negative test within those 10 days you need to isolate for the full amount of time due to the fact there is still a high risk you can get the virus even on the last day of your isolation period.

Crewe then realise that due to the ongoing EFL investigation their manager should probably not be shouting his mouth off in public so they have to take down all the interviews.

If you test positive then test negative why are you still at risk of getting it from the initial infection? It would have to be a new 2nd infection surely.

Back
Top Bottom