International News Covid-19 .....

In fairness those with - or buying for those with - allergens do need to take the time to read labels carefully.
Of course, but my neighbour is in the compromised category (severe asthma), so was anxious to not be outside for any longer than necessary to reduce their chance of catching COVID or touching product that has been compromised by someone else. Reading labels on Jam or reviewing individual packets of meat is a bit much and causing issues for those who don't need it.

All it needs is a bit of mindfulness of others, but some can't do it

That's not a nutshell, it's a Tweet. And what sort of nutshell is it?

I jest...!
I'm surprised you didn't call it out as fake news as it only includes those who died in hospital. Very worrying numbers.

Im assuming MPs dont have to wait in a Queue of hundreds of thousands, then after jumping through a plethora of red tape hoops, still have to 'wait' until (at least) June for any of their £10k pw to be paid, unlike ordinary workers furloughed, self employed, on zero hour contracts etc?

Im assuming MPs dont have to wait in a Queue of hundreds of thousands, then after jumping through a plethora of red tape hoops, still have to 'wait' until (at least) June for any of their £10k pw to be paid, unlike ordinary workers furloughed, self employed, on zero hour contracts etc?

They kept that quiet. I don't suppose they have to take 20% pay cut either.

This is an increase in expenses to help support people to work from home, something many other businesses have already put in place. I know of people who have been given expenses to get a printer and secure Internet server as they had never previously needed these. The issue about zero hour contracts and those furlonged is important but not relevant to this.

This is an increase in expenses to help support people to work from home, something many other businesses have already put in place. I know of people who have been given expenses to get a printer and secure Internet server as they had never previously needed these. The issue about zero hour contracts and those furlonged is important but not relevant to this.
apart from the time that us proleteria have to wait, and the processes and many obstacles to overcome to get ANY £, and not till (at least) June, while MPs vote to pay themselves £10k PER WEEK extra.... sorry @Scotchegg I disagree, IMO it IS very relevant, ..... it very much seems to me that Orwell's Animal Farm quote about all animals being equal, but some are more equal than others is being applied by the ruling elite in awarding themselves huge weekly extra payments instantly, while those struggling have to jump through hoop after hoop, and then still wait until (at least) June to receive ANY of their (up to) £2.5K per month :mad:

apart from the time that us proleteria have to wait, and the processes and many obstacles to overcome to get ANY £, and not till (at least) June, while MPs vote to pay themselves £10k PER WEEK extra.... sorry @Scotchegg I disagree, IMO it IS very relevant, ..... it very much seems to me that Orwell's Animal Farm quote about all animals being equal, but some are more equal than others is being applied by the ruling elite in awarding themselves huge weekly extra payments instantly, while those struggling have to jump through hoop after hoop, and then still wait until (at least) June to receive ANY of their (up to) £2.5K per month :mad:

They haven't voted to pay themselves an extra £10k a week. A decision was made to increase the upper annual limit on expenses as MP's are now working from home instead of their offices or Westminster. They will be dealing with sensitive matters from their constitutes and may therefore need to update IT and secure Internet provisions. They will still have to justify all claims and I would imagine that the vast majority will not need or use this increase. I know of a number of businesses who have done the same.

So, yes, your point is irrelevant as well as being factually incorrect.

CJRS scheme launches 22nd April, with first payments scheduled by 30th April.
Hopefully for all those waiting, this will happen.

They're not furloughed, they're still working

• React
Reactions: QR
They haven't voted to pay themselves an extra £10k a week. A decision was made to increase the upper annual limit on expenses as MP's are now working from home instead of their offices or Westminster. They will be dealing with sensitive matters from their constitutes and may therefore need to update IT and secure Internet provisions. They will still have to justify all claims and I would imagine that the vast majority will not need or use this increase. I know of a number of businesses who have done the same.

CJRS scheme launches 22nd April, with first payments scheduled by 30th April.
Hopefully for all those waiting, this will happen.
I do hope youre right - as June is the earliest I can expect any financial 'help' , Ive been informed

hair splitting it may be, but doesnt any increase to upper limit 'expenses' get approved by parliament ?

I guess you dont see MPs getting £10k per week additional, on top of their £26K weekly 'expenses' , in comparison to self employed (self included- vested interest)limited to a maximum £2.5k per month as fair? ?

wheras I think its wrong, very wrong (bordering on obscene IMO):oops:

we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.... instead of going round in eternal circles on the subject ;)

hair splitting it may be, but doesnt any increase to upper limit 'expenses' get approved by parliament ?

I guess you dont see MPs getting £10k per week additional, on top of their £26K weekly 'expenses' , in comparison to self employed (self included- vested interest)limited to a maximum £2.5k per month as fair? ?

we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.... instead of going round in eternal circles on the subject ;)

The system to pay MP`s is already in place.
The system to pay to the self employed etc is having to be built from scratch.

Bit of a difference really.

Back to Covid.................... look forward to another 3 weeks of lock down and then some.....

MPs don’t get 26K weekly expenses! They can get expenses for things like running an office but their basic pay is probably less than a number of people on here earn (still more than i get)

MPs don’t get 26K weekly expenses! They can get expenses for things like running an office but their basic pay is probably less than a number of people on here earn (still more than i get)
The system to pay MP`s is already in place.
The system to pay to the self employed etc is having to be built from scratch.

Bit of a difference really.

Back to Covid.................... look forward to another 3 weeks of lock down and then some.....

maths was never my best subject :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you didn't call it out as fake news as it only includes those who died in hospital. Very worrying numbers.
I saw it was Frankie Boyle, so yeah, it's Frankie Boyle.

The point is disingenuous because he neglected to provide context of if the overall number is an increase YOY or MOM, etc , or how many deaths were individuals with multiple health conditions vs those with Corona Virus.

At least he's not gone all Terry Christian though!

But doesn’t this story irk you just a tinge??

By all means meet some additional costs but a flat £10k?... really?

How many laptops, printers and stationery do they need? And how much gas and electric do they think they will use.

Give them their £10k but once this is all done get them to tot up what they really spent and provide receipts, which, if they are truly honest with themselves and are being totally responsible with tax payers money, is unlikely to come close to this sum.

Donate the excess back to these charities in desperate need.

Or, here’s a thought... donate the £10k to local constituency charities anyway and pick up the tab for some additional costs... treat it as a small 10% reduction in salary as par for the course in this crisis.

Why do we continually have to read these sorts of stories in the face of such hardship?

Back
Top Bottom