International News Covid-19 .....

All the Festival Events in Edinburgh for August have been cancelled.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52121586

And people think the football season will get finished?
The irony is the NFL have said their season will start on time - so July thru February.

I'm in the camp of let's see how things progress in the coming weeks - we just don't know and especially when infections are still going up.

As they say, when there is a will, there is a way

Incident happens - sensationalist media kicks in - population panics - governments react - populations then led to panic more - sensationalist media report - population panics more... and so on and so on. Yes this is serious but we live in an age when media is instant. Its with us all the time in our pockets, always available ffs. The pointless ‘mortality percentages’ when we dont even know how many people are infected. The misleading coronavirus cause of death reports etc. Yes this is serious but, yet again, the media are culpable in driving this like wind to a bushfire. Theyre NEVER held to account.
I've banned the news from the household but for once in the day. It's become an addictive sideshow and made some people overtly paranoid about all sorts of random stuff, and with the sensationalist parts of the media moving on from one part of the crisis to another, it doles out that dopamine hit each day to those in need.

The state of panic is not healthy, so the media have to be better to calm people rather than hype them up each day. The likes of Piers Moron have become deranged and its embarrassing to watch

Not just the "sensationalist media" that need to take a deep breath and think about the consequences of their actions.

This is from a local FB community page.......

90369247_2936783213082429_2593325073213423616_n.jpg

Why would you do that, well unless you have shares in bottled water. Haven't we got a couple guys who dabble in the shares? ;)

Not just the "sensationalist media" that need to take a deep breath and think about the consequences of their actions.

This is from a local FB community page.......

90369247_2936783213082429_2593325073213423616_n.jpg

it wasn't (first) posted on the local community FB page yesterday (April 1st ) was it? ?

there were quite a few spoof 'breaking news' announcements yesterday :sneaky:

It was indeed somebodies idea of an April Fool's gag.

I'm sure you know that I like a good joke as much as the next man, but there are limits......
not the best of April fool spoofs for sure ..... Oxford Mail , for the first time as far as I can remember, didn't run a spoof 'april fool' story or two yesterday, given the severity of the current situation

not the best of April fool spoofs for sure ..... Oxford Mail , for the first time as far as I can remember, didn't run a spoof 'april fool' story or two yesterday, given the severity of the current situation

I didn't see a single April Fool joke yesterday TBH, neither in the UK or Germany.

I didn't see a single April Fool joke yesterday TBH, neither in the UK or Germany.
gotta admit I saw a few ... all were not all that convincing .... one that I thought was an April fool spoof , (but it actually isn't!) was about women making cv19 masks out of old bra's :oops:

If the missus was to make one out of one of her old bras, It'd need eye holes adding too!:rolleyes:

I see we’ve gone beyond “don’t politicise political decisions made by politicians” and are now into “the bloody media should stop reporting things that might make people angry at what’s gone on here”.

So we don’t talk about things now because it’s unhelpful during a crisis, we don’t talk about it afterwards because instead of dwelling on the past we should move on, and if we talk about how unprepared we are before something actually happens it’s a sign of hysteria.

If someone could lay out the rules of when we can talk about this, and when we can discuss the fact that while you can never be perfectly prepared for a pandemic you can certainly be vastly better prepared to cope than we were, not to mention make far better and quicker decisions to prevent something you know for a fact is coming, that would be great. Because at present all I’m hearing is “don’t ever make government policy responsible for any events that occur as a direct result of those calls, and don’t talk about it before, during or after any problems reveal themselves.”

As for the bright spark who wants to talk about genocide, the word literally means “the deliberate killing of a large group of people.” Which if (IF IF IF IF IF) we were still pursuing herd immunity on the sly is exactly what would be happening.

Read a f*****g dictionary.

So we don’t talk about things now because it’s unhelpful during a crisis, we don’t talk about it afterwards because instead of dwelling on the past we should move on, and if we talk about how unprepared we are before something actually happens it’s a sign of hysteria.

We are advised not to overuse our critical faculties at this time, Ryan. Please comply.

Genocide is the deliberate killing of a large group of people based on nation,race, religion, ethnicity. Read a dictionary properly.

We have stepped into proper Godwins law territory here.

Nobody is advocating such a thing, the powers that be are having to deal with the reality of the situation. They are giving people a simple instruction and, gradually, enforcing that by using other tools.

You can argue the toss about people still cramming onto tube trains in London etc...... who do you "blame"? The essential workers going to work in the only way they can or the Mayor for reducing the services so folk are more crowded? And so it goes on.........

Would "we" the population have tolerated a Chinese style lock down using the military and force before being asked to "stay at home" ? I doubt it.

Should the Police actually need the power to enforce the "rules" ? If we all abide by them then no, but "we" cant it seems.

Should the NHS use the limited capacity it has to test the inpatients who could die or the Ambulance crew that delivered the patient to hospital? Patient wins that one for now.

Do we focus on the minority of medics shouting the loudest about PPE or the majority just getting on with it with the right kit?

Or do we stop pointing fingers at folk and muck in together to get it sorted?

gotta admit I saw a few ... all were not all that convincing .... one that I thought was an April fool spoof , (but it actually isn't!) was about women making cv19 masks out of old bra's :oops:

If the missus was to make one out of one of her old bras, It'd need eye holes adding too!:rolleyes:
Not peephole bras then? She needs to get more creative Sarge.

I see we’ve gone beyond “don’t politicise political decisions made by politicians” and are now into “the bloody media should stop reporting things that might make people angry at what’s gone on here”.

If someone could lay out the rules of when we can talk about this, and when we can discuss the fact that while you can never be perfectly prepared for a pandemic you can certainly be vastly better prepared to cope than we were, not to mention make far better and quicker decisions to prevent something you know for a fact is coming, that would be great. Because at present all I’m hearing is “don’t ever make government policy responsible for any events that occur as a direct result of those calls, and don’t talk about it before, during or after any problems reveal themselves.”

As for the bright spark who wants to talk about genocide, the word literally means “the deliberate killing of a large group of people.” Which if (IF IF IF IF IF) we were still pursuing herd immunity on the sly is exactly what would be happening.

To ‘ramp up’: to endlessly talk about doing something at some point, always used in the future tense

A good example is when interviewing Govt ministers. At times, they have been shouted over, at times they have had gotcha questions, things like that. Watching the interviews was a waste of time. Combined with online media and social media taking those moments and twisting/amplifying them, as with climate change, it's creates a feedback loop for those who are anxious, etc. How much food was wasted because a few idiots who shouted loudest made people paranoid that toilet paper or pasta would run out, even when the shops and Govt said there was plenty to go around?

A further is example is Lord Sumption's comments. The reaction I saw online portrayed the comments as awful and controversial, so I avoided them. I read what Sarge posted here and saw the reality was more measured, but undeniably against the grain/narrative.

We must report anything and everything, but the style and content needs to be more considered.

Back
Top Bottom