International News Covid-19 .....

I haven't been out of my house / garden for the whole time.
But I am lucky - I can (and always do) work from home.
Shopping comes via supermarket delivery - if we haven't got something we do without until it arrives.
Haven't visited friends and family and they haven't visited us.
All post is taken to the back of the house and the outside disinfected before the envelope is thrown away, all shopping wrappers thrown away where possible before the food comes into the house. All fruit and veg washed before being put away.
Lots of hand washing.
On the few times we have seen neighbours (either at the door or outside the front) social distancing is strictly observed.
Mrs ZtH goes to the allotment regularly (100 yds down the road), doesn't get close to anyone else.
I have been regularly disinfecting my insides with alcohol.
I don't actually think we could have done much more.

Last edited:
Out of interest , how do posters on here score themselves out of 10?
Personally I’ve been to work (office) as the only person from the start but this last fortnight a colleague has been in too
I’ve walked through town last fortnight.
I shop at outdoor market once a week
I go to supermarket and shops as and when but haven’t worn face masks.
I buy an ice cream after work from a shop because the pubs are shut.
I haven’t visited any friends or family. Even in open air. No-one has visited my house either.
I’ve driven to a local brewery to buy some beer but under 10 miles away and only twice.
(I have no underlying health issues that mean I should self isolate).

I’d give myself perhaps 8/10. I could avoid shops a lot more.
I’m only shopping once or twice a week and going for one walk a day, though it’s often a decent one along the river. My folks are dead and I’m unsociable so it’s not been hard to avoid seeing people, and I’m wfh. My wife was ill last year so I’m taking it all more seriously than I might otherwise have

Out of interest , how do posters on here score themselves out of 10?
Personally I’ve been to work (office) as the only person from the start but this last fortnight a colleague has been in too
I’ve walked through town last fortnight.
I shop at outdoor market once a week
I go to supermarket and shops as and when but haven’t worn face masks.
I buy an ice cream after work from a shop because the pubs are shut.
I haven’t visited any friends or family. Even in open air. No-one has visited my house either.
I’ve driven to a local brewery to buy some beer but under 10 miles away and only twice.
(I have no underlying health issues that mean I should self isolate).

I’d give myself perhaps 8/10. I could avoid shops a lot more.
Haven't visited anywhere since 16 March. Worked from home throughout whilst trying to home school. Been on nine or ten walks with the family none of more than three miles. Mrs QR does a weekly food shop. Given than I really should have exercised everyday I'll give myself 11 out of 10. ?

Haven't visited anywhere since 16 March. Worked from home throughout whilst trying to home school. Been on nine or ten walks with the family none of more than three miles. Mrs QR does a weekly food shop. Given than I really should have exercised everyday I'll give myself 11 out of 10. ?
You haven’t played any golf so it’s a 9 maximum ?

• React
Reactions: QR
I haven’t been in anybody else’s house nor has anyone been to mine. I go out twice a week for essentials, and I go to the small local shop 60-30 minutes before it closes at 10pm when it’s totally empty 90% of the time. Exercise daily for 60 minutes, totally alone and giving anyone out and about a wide berth. I haven’t seen my 92 year old grandmother properly since early March - I drove to her house two weeks ago and spoke to her on the phone while she waved at me out the window and I sat in my car, as it was her birthday and at this stage every one is increasingly likely to be her last. I’ve dropped off essentials for other family members who are vulnerable and/or unable to do it themselves, a handful of times, and in doing so have dropped the stuff off, quickly retreated and had a brief exchange with them from a distance. I saw my mother last week, alone, at a park and told her to keep back when all she wanted to do was give me a hug for the first time in a quarter of a year, but it categorically isn’t allowed so I physically retreated from her. I’ve seen my best mate twice since this all began, alone and at a distance, in a local park since the restrictions were ‘loosened’. My father was taken badly ill and I couldn’t go around to assist, I could merely ensure an ambulance was sent and then spend several days hoping for the best while nobody was allowed to visit. I think almost everybody can say similar things - I like to think I’m very typical of the population in this regard. We’ve all made sacrifices even when it hurt us badly to do so, and the overwhelming majority of us have followed the rules even if it’s cost us things that we may never get back.

That’s why millions of people are angry, I suppose.

I've worked fully throughout this period, including anywhere between 10-20 hours extra per week. I've worked directly with several confirmed cases and many more suspected or associated cases. I've carried out all the shopping for my family, my mother and a vulnerable neighbour. This is done through one supermarket shop per week/10 days and a weekly fruit and veg box or 2 from a market trader working from home. I always drop food at the door of those I shop for and then back away several metres just to check that they are ok with everything. When not working I will go on family walks but all on the nature reserve that my house backs on to, and all maintaining extra social distancing where possible.

At home I remove and wash all work clothing separately from the family and shower when I return from work, all before spending anytime with the wife and kids. My wife has underlying health issues so I even distance myself where possible whilst at home and I elbow bump her and the kids rather than having a hug and kiss. I know that I am the risk and as much as I miss the way things were I have to do everything I can to keep the one's I love as safe as possible.

I was ill at the end of Feb, and really ill the night of the Accrington game. I came up with a friend who parks on the estate and in the 5 minutes or so it took to walk from the ground to the car I was barely able to breathe. Got home 30 mins later, still couldn't get my breath and was genuinely scared. Eventually went to bed but on waking my wife said that she had to keep checking on me because my breathing was laboured. Stupidly I went to work that morning but isolated from others in my office before giving up around 11. Spent the next 2 days in bed and finally felt human at the weekend. Missed the Southend game as a result.

I've been perfectly ok since, despite the close contact I've had at work which means I either had it early with moderate symptoms, have had it since with barely any symptoms, or have not had it at all - which means that the ppe, social distancing and hygiene processes actually work just fine.

So, I've done everything asked of me socially, through work and even more restrictions at home. 10/10 and a medal I reckon!!

• React
Reactions: QR
The following will appear in a national newspaper tomorrow, trailing their front page headline.....but can you guess which one?

"In the clearest way, Dominic Cummings has violated the spirit and letter of the lockdown. Boris Johnson says he ‘totally gets’ how the public feels about this. Clearly he totally doesn’t. Neither man has displayed a scintilla of contrition for this breach of trust. Do they think we are fools? For the good of the government and the nation, Mr Cummings must resign. Or the prime minister must sack him. No ifs. No buts."

Said before i made conscious decision to stay in the house the first week of March and removed my child from school a week before Lockdown and have remained indoors the whole time.Sourced local suppliers for Essentials Fruit etc and topped up with Online order...My child lives with me and visits my ex normal in school holidays so they have not seen one another since Christmas....We have had no BBQ No Party in The Park and no visits to the beach or anyone's house and nobody has been here.
There have been a number of selfish people since this all began and a number treating it like a holiday, one assumes freely accepting the 80% to stay home whilst still doing just as they wanted.

Said before i made conscious decision to stay in the house the first week of March and removed my child from school a week before Lockdown and have remained indoors the whole time.Sourced local suppliers for Essentials Fruit etc and topped up with Online order...My child lives with me and visits my ex normal in school holidays so they have not seen one another since Christmas....We have had no BBQ No Party in The Park and no visits to the beach or anyone's house and nobody has been here.
There have been a number of selfish people since this all began and a number treating it like a holiday, one assumes freely accepting the 80% to stay home whilst still doing just as they wanted.
You’ve remained indoors the whole time? Is there a special reason why?

The following will appear in a national newspaper tomorrow, trailing their front page headline.....but can you guess which one?

"In the clearest way, Dominic Cummings has violated the spirit and letter of the lockdown. Boris Johnson says he ‘totally gets’ how the public feels about this. Clearly he totally doesn’t. Neither man has displayed a scintilla of contrition for this breach of trust. Do they think we are fools? For the good of the government and the nation, Mr Cummings must resign. Or the prime minister must sack him. No ifs. No buts."
Johnson said Cummings acted with integrity!!
Here is the meaning of integrity.
'The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles'
Now, I've never had much time for Johnson but now it's none at all. Him and his cohorts are rotten and they have handled the pandemic very poorly.

Nothing says integrity like saying something like this, then going to work for the Conservative party down the line and using the NHS as a protective shield in a crisis.

Survival instincts kicked in to protect myself and my child...Whilst some were clearing the shelves of food etc i used commonsense and sourced other local suppliers..I could do nothing about the daily flights in and out of the country and people freely mixing with society but i could act when the schools were being kept open and my child both potentially at risk and bringing it back home. it was only a couple of days after removing from school that a couple of teachers were off with the symptoms.
I would normal work from home so from that side was used to being in the home anyway but have been unable too due to the industry being closed so no 80% here and have to wait until July 6th to even get a conversation about BBLS and all whilst seeing 80% of contracts disappear.
As i have said many times it's a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of things.

Thats what we did for the 1st 2 months here in Malaysia. It was mandatory. So when I see articles and pictures on the internet of Brits and Americans out at beaches, etc I cant see the impact of C19 going away in those countries.

Back
Top Bottom