International News Covid-19 .....

Good to see Colonel Bob Stewart, Conservative MP for Beckenham, not blindly towing the cabinet line.

Not that any of this matters. Most people don’t have the stamina for this sort of thing anymore. You get a couple of days in and they all just give up. The byproduct of a digital world where everything moves at light speed - no attention span, no willingness to keep plugging away. Cummings knows this better than anybody. He can sit tight and by the middle of next week it won’t be spoken about again. Easy peasy.

Do you think Cummings has it in him to apologise?

I bet there have been a few heated conversations within the Tory high command over the last 48hrs, trying to get him to do just that in the hope it will diffuse the situation.

I'd also guess that most of them have ended with DC saying something along the lines of "F*ck you, you snivelling little worm, nobody tells me what to say and do"

Not one iota.

Good to see Colonel Bob Stewart, Conservative MP for Beckenham, not blindly towing the cabinet line.

Not that any of this matters. Most people don’t have the stamina for this sort of thing anymore. You get a couple of days in and they all just give up. The byproduct of a digital world where everything moves at light speed - no attention span, no willingness to keep plugging away. Cummings knows this better than anybody. He can sit tight and by the middle of next week it won’t be spoken about again. Easy peasy.

I don't think the Press are going to let this go so easily when even the pro Johnson papers are pushing it about Cummings who isn't yet goings.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command... and if all others accepted the lie, which the party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth" 1984 - George Orwell

I'm not a massive fan of expecting people to resign or be sacked, and that is regardless of political persuasion.

From what I understand, and this is through only a brief scan of the news, Cummings travelled with his family to stay in an adjacent property to his parents in Durham. The reason given was to provide childcare options for his young child should he and his wife fall ill. If that is to be believed, he went no where else, saw no one else, and returned to London when given the all clear, then I would suggest that it was foolish but not necessarily career threatening.

Now, of course, the question is whether he put others at risk. Did they travel to other locations, did they mix with others, did they return a second time? This is all being denied, and although I may have missed it, this appears to be reliant on unnamed witnesses which is always a little dodgy.

So he may well be a dick, and it says something that he had to travel from one end of the country to the other to find someone to look after his child, but I don't think he should lose him job as a result. And I'd say exactly the same if was Diane Abbott, Jeremy Corbyn or any other political figure.

I particularly enjoyed this "Fact Checked" style BBC article from frontline medics.....

The best bit was this................

"Most people infected with the coronavirus have only mild symptoms, or sometimes none at all. ".

It goes on to say that those with co-morbidities can have more serious issues.

Who would have thought that back in February....

I'm not a massive fan of expecting people to resign or be sacked, and that is regardless of political persuasion.

From what I understand, and this is through only a brief scan of the news, Cummings travelled with his family to stay in an adjacent property to his parents in Durham. The reason given was to provide childcare options for his young child should he and his wife fall ill. If that is to be believed, he went no where else, saw no one else, and returned to London when given the all clear, then I would suggest that it was foolish but not necessarily career threatening.

Now, of course, the question is whether he put others at risk. Did they travel to other locations, did they mix with others, did they return a second time? This is all being denied, and although I may have missed it, this appears to be reliant on unnamed witnesses which is always a little dodgy.

So he may well be a dick, and it says something that he had to travel from one end of the country to the other to find someone to look after his child, but I don't think he should lose him job as a result. And I'd say exactly the same if was Diane Abbott, Jeremy Corbyn or any other political figure.

His wife was showing the symptoms of Coronavirus at the time of the journey and the advice was to isolate at your principal home.

Ah thatll be the unamed retired chemistry teacher Bob Lees aged 70 as named in the 2nd/ follow up article then?

His wife was showing the symptoms of Coronavirus at the time of the journey and the advice was to isolate at your principal home.

I get that, but what would have happened if he and his wife had become too ill to look after their child? He had no family close by, and does not appear to have many friends!

I think it was Stephen Kinnock who travelled to see his Dad on his birthday and sat in the garden during his visit. Equally as risky, and equally against advice. But there wasn't calls for him to resign and rightly so in my view.

Ah thatll be the unamed retired chemistry teacher Bob Lees aged 70 as named in the 2nd/ follow up article then?

You appear to miss the point where I say that I'd just scanned the news? But even a named individual has little bearing without corroborating evidence. Feel free to show a link to that.

The best bit was this................

"Most people infected with the coronavirus have only mild symptoms, or sometimes none at all. ".

It goes on to say that those with co-morbidities can have more serious issues.

Looks like you missed half the paragraph in that quote.

"Most people infected with the coronavirus have only mild symptoms, or sometimes none at all. But in many thousands of patients who fall critically ill, Covid-19 is a disease of alarming complexity."

And there is no mention of co-morbidities in the article. Poor show.

Now, of course, the question is whether he put others at risk.
The moment he got in the car he potentially put many at risk. The AA/RAC person who recovered his broken down car, the police and ambulance staff should he have had an accident. This is one of the key reasons the government didn't want cars on the road.

If everyone is his circumstance used it to justify similar journeys how many more car breakdowns would have there been, how many more car accidents, how many more people unnecessarily infected, how many more unnecessary deaths.

Get it now?

You appear to miss the point where I say that I'd just scanned the news? But even a named individual has little bearing without corroborating evidence. Feel free to show a link to that.
So rather than say - yes you're right, sorry - I should've checked the stories properly before making that assertion on here, you decide to blame Sarge for not reading your post, which is after all based on those stories and the assertions you've drawn from them, but haven't read properly?

Hopefully you will see the irony :unsure:

And then you go on to suggest that Bob might be a fibber but Commie Dommie is as true as the day is long?

Same article has 2 eye-witnesses seeing him in Barnard Castle, 30 miles from his parents' place. Very poor show.
I was thinking that there maybe a photo or two? CCTV perhaps? 2 witnesses found by partisan media does not provide a particularly strong case.

Slightly aside from the 'who saw' or 'who didn't see what' for a moment, Boris has a huge decision to make; sack Cummings now, rebuild public confidence in the Govt response to the virus, reducing infection and death rates and restore some degree of parity asap or allow him to stay, lose more political capital as mentioned this morning, lose more public confidence in the Govt response whilst fuelling the media to keep the story as a headline and therefore actively dilute the effectiveness of the 'Stay Alert' message even further and risk a second peak?
Tough one, but he needs to step up either way, this now is what leadership is about.

Back
Top Bottom