International News Covid-19 .....

Although it’s nasty in that there’s no early symptoms when it’s contagious, flu killed between 20 and 40 million people in the early twentieth century.
it is apparently a crisis now as it is spreading far away from China.
China does not appear to have done much to prevent its spread. The economic effect that this might cause on the rest of the world may indeed be very bad

Well you wouldn’t know there was any such virus/pandemic in Heathrow this morning. A couple of Westerners wearing face masks instead of the more common sight of Asian travellers wearing them.

A couple of extra hand sanitiser knocking about but that’s about it. It’s all well and good isolating people and school children but I’d imagine airport security and retail staff working 40hrs a week here are probably most at risk to being infected and transmitting.

Couldn’t agree more.
In nearby Farnborough the private girls school sent home all the children who’d been on an Italian skiing trip. Holt School In Reading, Holt School, sent many of their students home.
We were planning a trip to Berlin to celebrate my birthday but maybe we will save the money and go somewhere here.
Am i one of few, who having been to HK in 2014, thought the masks were for pollution rather than to protect from flu? It seemed like everyone was wearing them and the pollution was very bad at that time

Although this particular strain of coronavirus does sound bad, it’s mortality rate is still being calculated. It could turn out to be no worse than good old influenza. Only time will tell.

Typically the market Speculators continue to benefit.
Once the virus is stopped in its tracks then they will benefit even more

Although it’s nasty in that there’s no early symptoms when it’s contagious, flu killed between 20 and 40 million people in the early twentieth century.
it is apparently a crisis now as it is spreading far away from China.
China does not appear to have done much to prevent its spread. The economic effect that this might cause on the rest of the world may indeed be very bad
They did lock down the city it was first discovered in to be fair.

It’s all well and good saying it’s just like flu but I’ve never heard of someone on a cruise ship getting flu which then races round hundreds of other passengers, some of whom die?

Anyway even if the actual virus itself isn’t bad, it could still be quite big if everyone gets quarantined/told to self-isolate, and people clear the shops of goods etc...

It’s all well and good saying it’s just like flu but I’ve never heard of someone on a cruise ship getting flu which then races round hundreds of other passengers, some of whom die?

Anyway even if the actual virus itself isn’t bad, it could still be quite big if everyone gets quarantined/told to self-isolate, and people clear the shops of goods etc...
I'll start with a sweeping generalisation (forum standard etiquette), people who go on cruises tend to be retired/older people, so more vulnerable. And add to that it isn't unusual for bugs to sweep through cruise liners, look at the cases of sickness that happens on them, then I'd say its not massively unexpected.

I wondered that. It’d be in the interests of China to ferment a financial crash resulting from a possible pandemic.
Or the new superpower China to suffer from thousands of deaths and cripple the China economy.

I'll start with a sweeping generalisation (forum standard etiquette), people who go on cruises tend to be retired/older people, so more vulnerable. And add to that it isn't unusual for bugs to sweep through cruise liners, look at the cases of sickness that happens on them, then I'd say its not massively unexpected.

I've seen at least one Doctor describe a cruise liner as a "Petri dish".

From my own perspective I am concerned, it’s very easy to generalise and say flu kills more so we shouldn’t be concerned about th if s outbreak, my way to look at is that some people caught this virus in China and from the first person it’s gone world wide, if I got flu tomorrow I wouldn’t expect it to affect the whole world,so I can see how predicting it’s outcome is almost impossible, and if you belong to the at risk group it’s getting more concerning on a daily basis , my immune system took a real bashing from my chemotherapy along with many others

From my own perspective I am concerned, it’s very easy to generalise and say flu kills more so we shouldn’t be concerned about th if s outbreak, my way to look at is that some people caught this virus in China and from the first person it’s gone world wide, if I got flu tomorrow I wouldn’t expect it to affect the whole world,so I can see how predicting it’s outcome is almost impossible, and if you belong to the at risk group it’s getting more concerning on a daily basis , my immune system took a real bashing from my chemotherapy along with many others
No because Flu is common..

I`m saying nothing except..................

Corona Virus Pod at A&E. ✅
Infectious Diseases Unit fully staffed. ✅
Mass Fatality Storage Facilities available ✅ (Bruntingthorpe Airfield & Newark Showground if you want to know...)
Lots of FFP Kit in stock. ✅
Labs testing for Covid on a daily basis. ✅

It`s currently killing more than Flu (by percentage) because in many countries there is a Flu vaccine with a good uptake.
The DNA profile is available to research teams.
There will be a "Flu +" vaccine being made.

There are lots of "unknowns" in terms of the virus but it is not worth the media s**t storm that is going on at the moment. ☣☢??

No because Flu is common..
It’s the rate of infection and the ability to cross borders rapidly which the most concerning , no one describes flu with its large number of deaths worldwide as a pandemic,it will very interesting to see how many Chinese students will be in oxford at the start of the next academic year , if there are still restrictions on travel , Brookes will be empty

Sacrificing the population to the Gods of Consumerism..................................... thats the crux of it.

If the world was serious about stopping it then all flights should have been grounded from Day one. Thats never going to happen.....

I can see why it would concern you, I'd be worried if I was in a more 'at risk' group.

Back
Top Bottom