International News Covid-19 .....

im glad you find the fact that at least 22 000 more people in Britain have died than have in Germany amusing @Scotchegg

I'm sure those like @Followtheox1 who are inadequately equipped out on the front line will share your amusement- as will those on here who have lost family and not even been able to grieve them properly

I find your constant one sided views ridiculous! I work on the frontline with absolutely loads of PPE. I also talk with Healthcare professionals including today seeing 2 paramedics based in Didcot, who had taken 2 patients to the JR and one to SMH already and had loads of PPE themselves and spoke positively of the experiences at both hospitals.

Life outside of the media and twitter is very different, and often very much better than the image you try to portray.

I find your constant one sided views ridiculous! I work on the frontline with absolutely loads of PPE. I also talk with Healthcare professionals including today seeing 2 paramedics based in Didcot, who had taken 2 patients to the JR and one to SMH already and had loads of PPE themselves and spoke positively of the experiences at both hospitals.

Life outside of the media and twitter is very different, and often very much better than the image you try to portray.
Good that your experience has been well resourced and that , but your anecdotes from 2 paramedics based in Didcot, don't explain why so many more people are dying in the UK than in most other places.

• React
Reactions: QR
Good that your experience has been well resourced and that , but your anecdotes from 2 paramedics based in Didcot, don't explain why so many more people are dying in the UK than in most other places.
They explain that ppe is widely available which was a criticism you were aiming at the government.

As for more people dying, as has been said a thousand times, the true figures will not be known for some time, nor will there be a clear picture of who is most susceptible to this virus. Age, gender, underlying health conditions, ethnicity, population density etc are all factors likely to increase risk. So it's impossible to make like for like comparisons, particularly so early in the life of a new virus.

That doesn't mean thst mistakes haven't been made, or that people shouldn't be held accountable for those mistakes, but to look at one statistic in isolation serves no purpose.

Sound great! Pity it doesn't reflect reality.
Government website that allows all those in that risk factors (or nominated guardian) to book a test. I know several people who gave booked tests successfully and found the system incredibly easy.

I'm sure the Care Home Manager can access the relevant information on the Government website!

I suggest you listen to her interview before so flippantly dismissing the problems she's having with that. She isn't unique based on the report.

I suggest you listen to her interview before so flippantly dismissing the problems she's having with that. She isn't unique based on the report.

There has been criticism that not enough tests were being done, or those who needed testing weren't able to access them. But now the criteria for testing is wide ranging and clear, and applies directly to care homes as well as the more elderly and vulnerable who may be looked after at home. I can't answer for the experiences of others, but have known those who do meet the criteria speaking about how easy it was to book and complete the relevant tests.

They explain that ppe is widely available which was a criticism you were aiming at the government.

As for more people dying, as has been said a thousand times, the true figures will not be known for some time, nor will there be a clear picture of who is most susceptible to this virus. Age, gender, underlying health conditions, ethnicity, population density etc are all factors likely to increase risk. So it's impossible to make like for like comparisons, particularly so early in the life of a new virus.

That doesn't mean thst mistakes haven't been made, or that people shouldn't be held accountable for those mistakes, but to look at one statistic in isolation serves no purpose.
It is entirely true to say that the full extent of this won't be known for ages. But that certainly does not mean that the government should just be allowed to get on with it, and we'll hold them to account later. Why? Well because whatever decisions they make NOW and have already made (for good or ill) will have huge ramifications within the next few days, weeks and months. By the time we get to the results of whatever 'commission' is set up that will be far too late!
And given that situation (and I would be surprised if anyone could seriously disagree that IS the situation) then all we and the scientists and the politicians themselves have to go on is the best available data - even if it isn't perfect. And (to be fair) they ARE presenting that data every day. And it is frighteningly bad.

(To @Scotchegg )They explain that PPE was widely available to two paramedics in Didcot. They don’t say anything about other parts of the country, or what’s happening in care homes or hospices.

Yes we may know in more detail but people are either dead or they aren’t - and the rate of excess deaths compared to the five year average are even higher than the official stats.

It is entirely true to say that the full extent of this won't be known for ages. But that certainly does not mean that the government should just be allowed to get on with it, and we'll hold them to account later. Why? Well because whatever decisions they make NOW and have already made (for good or ill) will have huge ramifications within the next few days, weeks and months. By the time we get to the results of whatever 'commission' is set up that will be far too late!
And given that situation (and I would be surprised if anyone could seriously disagree that IS the situation) then all we and the scientists and the politicians themselves have to go on is the best available data - even if it isn't perfect. And (to be fair) they ARE presenting that data every day. And it is frighteningly bad.
I agree that it is awful, and being dismissive of the way in which some post is not the same as dismissing a single one of those affected by this.

But I do think that we need to look at far more than just the numbers of those dying, but all the other factors that undoubtedly contribute. That can and should happen immediately, and by doing this it may be possible to target those most at risk and flood treatment into those areas.

Just saying that the Government is bad is as meaningless as saying that they've been great. It will only be by looking at everything with open eyes and an open mind that we will be in a position to finally put an end to this horror that we're all living through. And then the opportunity to hold people accountable (or to praise them) will be right.

Back
Top Bottom