National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

In a few days time, it will be two weeks since we left the EU.

That means we've got a whopping £700 million extra cash in our national account.....kerching!!

I know we're supposed to be funding the NHS and everything...but why not subsidise farmers to grow something different so they don't have to f**k the environment even further, rather than bow down to British Sugar and the NFU?

And now we're free from the EU tyranny...we can just import cane sugar from all those former colonies we made grow it in the first place[emoji6]

'UK exports will now be made under a new system of “prior informed consent”, under which the importer has to agree to accept the waste, and has the opportunity to refuse it.'

So all down to the wishes of the (proven to be) unscrupulous importers.

It's a national disgrace that a rich country like ours can't even recycle/reuse/dispose of safely its own waste. 😡😡😡😡

'UK exports will now be made under a new system of “prior informed consent”, under which the importer has to agree to accept the waste, and has the opportunity to refuse it.'

So all down to the wishes of the (proven to be) unscrupulous importers.

It's a national disgrace that a rich country like ours can't even recycle/reuse/dispose of safely its own waste. 😡😡😡😡

Between 2001 and 2018, hazardous waste shipments from the EU almost doubled, increasing by 97 % from 4 million tonnes to 7.8 million tonnes.

On a per capita basis, Luxembourg is at the top of the table with an export of about 731 kg in 2018, far more than any other EU Member State. The Netherlands (60 kg; 2017), Ireland (59 kg), Belgium (58 kg) and Denmark (50 kg) followed at considerable distance. In 2018, half of the EU Member States recorded exports of hazardous waste of 10 kg per capita or less (13 countries).

The UK is one of those low export countries with 5kg per capita.

Belgium Germany France Italy Luxembourg Denmark and Sweden all deport more hazardous waste than we do (these figures are 2018 so may be outdated), but any country deporting waste should be ashamed.

It's a cultural disgrace more so than it is a national one. We also have a population problem.

Between 2001 and 2018, hazardous waste shipments from the EU almost doubled, increasing by 97 % from 4 million tonnes to 7.8 million tonnes.

On a per capita basis, Luxembourg is at the top of the table with an export of about 731 kg in 2018, far more than any other EU Member State. The Netherlands (60 kg; 2017), Ireland (59 kg), Belgium (58 kg) and Denmark (50 kg) followed at considerable distance. In 2018, half of the EU Member States recorded exports of hazardous waste of 10 kg per capita or less (13 countries).

The UK is one of those low export countries with 5kg per capita.

Belgium Germany France Italy Luxembourg Denmark and Sweden all deport more hazardous waste than we do (these figures are 2018 so may be outdated), but any country deporting waste should be ashamed.

It's a cultural disgrace more so than it is a national one. We also have a population problem.
All you've got is whataboutism isn't it!!

What are your stats saying? Is the waste being moved from one EU county to another for proper treatment?

Degrees of disgraceful behaviour is not the bloody issue. It's not a f*****g competition! Every country should be doing more. We are choosing to not introduce these new more exacting standards. The EU is. You are deliberately missing the issue.

All you've got is whataboutism isn't it!!

What are your stats saying? Is the waste being moved from one EU county to another for proper treatment?

Degrees of disgraceful behaviour is not the bloody issue. It's not a f*****g competition! Every country should be doing more. We are choosing to not introduce these new more exacting standards. The EU is. You are deliberately missing the issue.
No it's "from the EU". The point was about deportation of waste. The stats directly address deportation of waste from the EU. Thus if the inference is that this is a uniquely British problem then the inference is simply wrong.

You say "it's not a f*****g competition" as if I'm somehow saying we're the best so it isn't an issue here. Did you miss the part of my post where I say "any country deporting waste should be ashamed."?

I'm afraid it is you who could be accused of deliberately missing the point.

No it's "from the EU". The point was about deportation of waste. The stats directly address deportation of waste from the EU. Thus if the inference is that this is a uniquely British problem then the inference is simply wrong.

You say "it's not a f*****g competition" as if I'm somehow saying we're the best so it isn't an issue here. Did you miss the part of my post where I say "any country deporting waste should be ashamed."?

I'm afraid it is you who could be accused of deliberately missing the point.
There you go again!!

Are you going to address the issue of the lower UK standards or just go on about the UK being s**t but not as s**t as the EU?

A few days ago I accused you of taking discussion points down rabbit holes when you can't answer a question /admit to the downsides of Brexit and you said you don't. You do and this is a case in point.

Last edited:
There you go again!!

Are you going to address the issue of the lower UK standards or just go on about the UK being s**t but not as s**t as the EU?
Do you understand the phrase "any country deporting waste should be ashamed."?

The letter of the law/regulation means little when it's the actual weight or volume of the waste being deported which actually matters. I understand that our deportation weight has been reducing for a period of time (though I can't find post 2018 figures - do you have them?).

Once we get to 0 I can start praising the country.

Do you understand the phrase "any country deporting waste should be ashamed."?

The letter of the law/regulation means little when it's the actual weight or volume of the waste being deported which actually matters. I understand that our deportation weight has been reducing for a period of time (though I can't find post 2018 figures - do you have them?).

Once we get to 0 I can start praising the country.
A few days ago I accused you of taking discussion points down rabbit holes when you can't answer a question /admit to the downsides of Brexit and you said you don't. You do and this is a case in point.

So it's a discussion about waste deportation in the Brexit thread.

The implication by original poster was that our waste deportation is a national disgrace.

I think "well hold on this isn't a British problem, it's a cultural issue" and I locate some stats to show my point. It's Europe wide.

You basically ask me to condemn the UK.

I remind you of my original condemnatory comment, where I suggest we should all be ashamed. Condemning all countries who do it (including the UK).

You accuse me of taking you down a rabbit hole.

I'm genuinely confused as to what you're failing to understand here.

So it's a discussion about waste deportation in the Brexit thread.

The implication by original poster was that our waste deportation is a national disgrace.

I think "well hold on this isn't a British problem, it's a cultural issue" and I locate some stats to show my point. It's Europe wide.

You basically ask me to condemn the UK.

I remind you of my original condemnatory comment, where I suggest we should all be ashamed. Condemning all countries who do it (including the UK).

You accuse me of taking you down a rabbit hole.

I'm genuinely confused as to what you're failing to understand here.
You should be a politician! Hey, maybe you are!

THE ISSUES IS THE UK INTRODUCTION WEAKER LEGISLATION THAN THE EU SOMETHING WE CAN ONLY DO AS A RESULT OF LEAVING THE EU.

You should be a politician! Hey, maybe you are!

THE ISSUES IS THE UK INTRODUCTION WEAKER LEGISLATION THAN THE EU SOMETHING WE CAN ONLY DO AS A RESULT OF LEAVING THE EU.
The actual weight/volume of waste deported is more important than the letter of the law/regulation.

Let's see what happens to our actual figure.

(these figures are 2018 so may be outdated), but any country deporting waste should be ashamed.
Going back to BWL's initial post, I think the article linked stated new EU rules came into force on the 1st January, so it will be interesting to see how these figures change in the next 5 years or so.

Agree with you about all countries should be ashamed.

You can have my portion
Ah come on. No doubt you're happy to eat unfertilised proto-embryos, drink the product of fungus-infected cereals, eat carbohydrate-rich deposits which developed as tumours on the roots of nightshade plants etc :)

Back
Top Bottom