International News Black Lives Matter

Jamaica is the biggest followed by Trinidad and Guyana I think. Where the proportion is about the same. Maybe a bit higher on some of the smaller islands but 4 percent at most - of a much smaller population

Would be very surprised if there were more than say 35000 in total - so about the size of Bicester or Abingdon

I used to love listening to Test Match Special in the 1980s when the legendary West Indies commentator Tony Cozier used to fill the airways with his wonderful Barbadian accent.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who was very surprised to discover he was white!

I take it you have never heard of council tax capping and the need for local referenda if a council want to increase tax above the cap.

I have yes........ so have the referenda be proactive, ask the people the answer might surprise them!

I used to love listening to Test Match Special in the 1980s when the legendary West Indies commentator Tony Cozier used to fill the airways with his wonderful Barbadian accent.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who was very surprised to discover he was white!
Yes, me too! It was an extreme example but quite often I form a mental picture of people whose voices I hear on the radio but have never seen. Peter Allen who used to do the 'driving home from work' spot for years on 5Live is a case in point. Having heard his voice for years and tears, I then saw his photo and couldn't put the two together - and then I actually saw some film of him speaking and it was like watching a bloke lip-sych to another person talking!
Sorry, got to dash - it's time for my pills again...

I have yes........ so have the referenda be proactive, ask the people the answer might surprise them!
Sorry but if you really think that you are seriously nieve. The government knows the majority will NEVER vote for tax rises in a secret ballot. There has only been one referendum and 70% voted against a rise.

There is absolutely no need for the cap. If voters are unhappy with council tax levels they can vote the incumbent ruling group out.

Sorry but if you really think that you are seriously nieve. The government knows the majority will NEVER vote for tax rises in a secret ballot. There has only been one referendum and 70% voted against a rise.

There is absolutely no need for the cap. If voters are unhappy with council tax levels they can vote the incumbent ruling group out.

As I said if they don`t ask they will never know. At least take the chance and then they can`t blame the government................. yep, I see the problem.
Either that or raise the cap a level that allows the council enough flexibility...... I see the problems in that as well!

As I said if they don`t ask they will never know. At least take the chance and then they can`t blame the government................. yep, I see the problem.
Either that or raise the cap a level that allows the council enough flexibility...... I see the problems in that as well!
At more than £200k a pop? That's really going to help the budget.

West Indies test team are all black. If England put out an all white team we would be accused of racism. Just saying..

Yeah, because England haven't put out an all white team since.......well, since the previous Test match we played in January against South Africa
(Crawley, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Curran, Woakes, Wood, Broad).

Remember the outcry? The hysteria? Yeah, neither do I because no-one complained at all.

There's been a lot of dumb comments in the 75 pages of this thread, but this one really does stand out.

What unadulterated tosh.

Snowflakes portraying themselves as victims.

meanwhile
That's the reality! You may not like it, but that is what happens. People like you endorse cancel culture because you can't cope with diverse opinions. So when it's people you don't like, it's ok. Until you are affected by it and then its unfair.... And you lash out.

Dawn Butler closed her office as it was too small and being a responsible MP, it was not appropriate for COVID safety and she didn't want to spend more and waste tax payers money. Whatever else is there, is a convenient squirrel.

On US police budgets, the side by side comparison is hard. Is there a comparison of cost by core function?

If you take a look at the crime stats since George Floyd was murdered, you get a small hint of what could happen if budgets are cut. It's a be careful what you wish for moment.

Perhaps the most enlightened thing to do is retrain Police alongside a deep focus and long term investment on areas with endemic poverty. If you can lift African Americans out of poverty, it's a small start to making things better. It would have to be education, jobs & housing - without all 3, it won't happen

It's a tough nut to crack and it's easier to point the finger elsewhere, than at ones self, if nothing changes.

That's the reality! You may not like it, but that is what happens. People like you endorse cancel culture because you can't cope with diverse opinions. So when it's people you don't like, it's ok. Until you are affected by it and then its unfair.... And you lash out.

Dawn Butler closed her office as it was too small and being a responsible MP, it was not appropriate for COVID safety and she didn't want to spend more and waste tax payers money. Whatever else is there, is a convenient squirrel.

Finally, whilst not the primary reason for its closure, is the continual security risk to everyone working within a very visible high street office. My staff have been attacked in the office, verbally assaulted coming and going from work, bricks have been thrown through the windows and the frontage has been smashed. I have had to work extensively with police and security staff to simply try and create a safe working environment for my employees. Many of these incidents were not made public in order to not encourage copycat attacks.

Sadly in recent months, the threat to myself and my staff has drastically escalated. Last month the police arrested one person and are currently pursuing others as I continue to speak out on key issues such as the impact of Covid-19 on the BAME community, the death of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter. I continue to receive on an almost daily basis threats of violence and death threats.

I've no idea what this means by the way

People like you endorse cancel culture because you can't cope with diverse opinions. So when it's people you don't like, it's ok. Until you are affected by it and then its unfair.... And you lash out.

it's a kind of reactionary word salad

what do you mean by "cancel culture"? the person who appears to have the biggest problem with diverse opinions is you.

Where's Cassox gone, I wonder? After this well constructed comment - and several others - seems like he's at least temporarily removed from the members' list. Got a 90/6 warning level too, whatever that means. Who misses his quirky charm?
Do you know I don’t really notice, but then I don’t see his comments any more.
He really is such a bigoted Individual. Not particularly articulate either

what do you mean by "cancel culture"? the person who appears to have the biggest problem with diverse opinions is you.
Cancel culture. The below is a great example.

JK Rowling has been constantly harassed because she doesn't have the woke view on Transgender rights and it all started over a single liking of a Tweet. Just one single Tweet...! Activitists have gone after her personally, when it didn't work, they started on her book publisher and production company. There is no depth to what activists will do to de-platform her and there are no signs of it stopping.

Further, Noam Chomsky, for supporting the Cancel Culture letter, has received heavy criticism and attempts to de-platform him. Noam Chomsky... Let alone Laurence Fox and the aftermath of his Question Time appearance. Or other celebs retracting support for the letter when they saw how badly it went down.

And they are but 4 examples.

It's people like you who are perpetually outraged about everything and struggle to accept other people have different opinions or viewpoints, and just attack, attack, attack until you get what you want.

• React
Reactions: m
You seem pretty outraged.

How has billionaire Jk Rowling whose open lettter received enormous publicity been “cancelled “?

Cancel culture. The below is a great example.

JK Rowling has been constantly harassed because she doesn't have the woke view on Transgender rights and it all started over a single liking of a Tweet. Just one single Tweet...! Activitists have gone after her personally, when it didn't work, they started on her book publisher and production company. There is no depth to what activists will do to de-platform her and there are no signs of it stopping.

Further, Noam Chomsky, for supporting the Cancel Culture letter, has received heavy criticism and attempts to de-platform him. Noam Chomsky... Let alone Laurence Fox and the aftermath of his Question Time appearance. Or other celebs retracting support for the letter when they saw how badly it went down.

And they are but 4 examples.

It's people like you who are perpetually outraged about everything and struggle to accept other people have different opinions or viewpoints, and just attack, attack, attack until you get what you want.
They aren't being 'cancelled' for views like "I don't care that much for Marvel films, they're not character focused and have too much CGI". That's a different viewpoint that people who disagree would just have to learn to be okay with.

The people are being challenged because they are being intolerant of others (black people, trans), so shouldn't be surprised when people will not tolerate them trying to deprive others of a rightful platform.

They aren't being 'cancelled' for views like "I don't care that much for Marvel films, they're not character focused and have too much CGI". That's a different viewpoint that people who disagree would just have to learn to be okay with.

The people are being challenged because they are being intolerant of others (black people, trans), so shouldn't be surprised when people will not tolerate them trying to deprive others of a rightful platform.

Didn’t the Harry Potter author just point out that only women have periods, hardly denying trans people anything by stating a biological fact.

I decided to read the letter that was signed by the 150 academics and authors to find out why people are foaming at the mouth about it. The contents of the letter seem reasonable to me. I genuinely can’t understand the angry reaction.

"The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. "...............

More here: https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. ........................ like suggesting Akinfenwa is like a water buffalo............. ;)

Back
Top Bottom