International News Black Lives Matter

Regarding US police expenditure I guess the argument would be that due to gun laws in the States they have to be heavily armed to deal with heavily armed members of the public. It’s not the expenditure that’s the issue (if it can be funded) it’s the mindset of some of those in the force. Just out of interest what ‘missile launchers’ are owned/operated by the US Police Force @YellowTaxi?

Using what I’d class as a fairly level head I’d suggest that some of the money that is spent by the police (both there and here) is used for additional education/training for all with particular focus on those who perhaps struggle with equality (of all sexes, races etc).

And yet all that happens is the public get more and more angry as their council tax goes up by an above inflation % but the services provided seemingly get worse (don't mention the potholes!).

It's really not that difficult to fathom out why this is the case, if you actually are bothered about understanding how stuff works, rather than allowing the media to persuade you to just be angry about stuff......

It's is the policy of austerity red in tooth and claw......stoopid!

it would be nice to know how the government are going to claw back all the money they’ve used to help the country during the pandemic.

And there was I thinking this thread was about BLM it appears to have descended into a bit of a Tory bashing.

Regarding US police expenditure I guess the argument would be that due to gun laws in the States they have to be heavily armed to deal with heavily armed members of the public. It’s not the expenditure that’s the issue (if it can be funded) it’s the mindset of some of those in the force. Just out of interest what ‘missile launchers’ are owned/operated by the US Police Force @YellowTaxi?

Using what I’d class as a fairly level head I’d suggest that some of the money that is spent by the police (both there and here) is used for additional education/training for all with particular focus on those who perhaps struggle with equality (of all sexes, races etc).
And there is arguably ‘Police America’s‘ biggest issue; they’re way beyond the point of no return regarding gun laws. Joe Public buys an assault rifle, the police buy bigger assault rifles and so on and so on.
As the police here slowly edge towards being fully armed, and hopefully that’s years down the line, they still have an escalation process through various options starting at talking to people to lethal force, but so often America goes straight to lethal force and we’ve seen the result of that too many times.
Whatever we think of policing in this country, give me policing by consent any day of the week.

West Indies test team are all black. If England put out an all white team we would be accused of racism. Just saying..

you're right to query me - this is a breakdown of the military equipment used by US police

it includes some grenade lauchers.

Don't think it compares to the amount cut from other budgets here- and i'd argue the police are not the best people to be doing some of this training

It was in my post

So increase the amount they collect..... increase the council tax.
We currently pay just under £2k per year, Band D.
If that had increased proportionately across 8 years they could easily have plugged the gaps in a better way for society.
Hey ho. I`m no politician.

West Indies test team are all black. If England put out an all white team we would be accused of racism. Just saying..
Really? How many non-black West Indians are knocking on the door of their test team?
The English cricket team is at the moment getting plaudits from the West Indian players and officials for being inclusive - do you think they themselves wouldn't pick an excellent player on the basis of the colour of their skin?

So increase the amount they collect..... increase the council tax.
We currently pay just under £2k per year, Band D.
If that had increased proportionately across 8 years they could easily have plugged the gaps in a better way for society.
Hey ho. I`m no politician.

So you'll be happy to massively increase Council Tax to make up the difference needed? It won't be a few %, it would be a hell of a lot more than that, 10s of % at the least so £100s or maybe a £1000+.

So you'll be happy to massively increase Council Tax to make up the difference needed? It won't be a few %, it would be a hell of a lot more than that, 10s of % at the least so £100s or maybe a £1000+.

To be fair if our council tax had gone up by £100+ per year (£2 a week) over 8 years then it would now be £1,000 more for the Council rather than service cuts.
Most people understand that public services are paid for by the public, a little bit of pain "for the greater good".
Had the increase been planned properly we would have just budgeted differently for it. As would most folk.
As it stands we have a Council who point at the Government and deflect blame rather than taking action because it doesn`t suit their politics.

We get a letter with the bill and it says, very clearly.................and has done for the last 10 years.......

"The city council is increasing its tax by 3% "

"Even though we have increased council tax, this doesn’t raise enough to replace everything we’ve lost. This means we can’t afford all the services we used to provide. "

Put the Council Tax up above the threshold then..................... what are they scared of?

To be fair if our council tax had gone up by £100+ per year (£2 a week) over 8 years then it would now be £1,000 more for the Council rather than service cuts.
Most people understand that public services are paid for by the public, a little bit of pain "for the greater good".
Had the increase been planned properly we would have just budgeted differently for it. As would most folk.
As it stands we have a Council who point at the Government and deflect blame rather than taking action because it doesn`t suit their politics.

We get a letter with the bill and it says, very clearly.................and has done for the last 10 years.......

"Even though we have increased council tax, this doesn’t raise enough to replace everything we’ve lost. This means we can’t afford all the services we used to provide. "

Put the Council Tax up above the threshold then..................... what are they scared of?

being voted out at the next local elections perhaps? :unsure: ;)

And there was I thinking this thread was about BLM it appears to have descended into a bit of a Tory bashing.

A little bit of Tory bashing makes any activity a bit more fun.

You talk of planning. When I worked for a Council you could only plan year to year due to the financing and national Govt changing criteria/creating new responsibilities without the required funding (Labour and Tories have done this). Medium to long term planning was an impossibility in most cases, nevermind if the Party in charge changes.

Councils, in the main, blame the Govt since 2010 as they had funding decimated with no notice to plan whilst Council Tax increases were limited to below inflation for a lot of that time by the same Govt. And then any increases over that have been very specific (ie. 2% for Social care which I agreed with as an aside). That is why fees etc have gone up so much but that is still a drop in the ocean. So Councils in the main were pretty much using their available resources/staff to firefight finding savings, which is the least worse option etc. Who was going to do this planning?

Councils are afraid of national Govt stepping in which has happened in various areas (local plans, funding etc etc) and taking decisions away from the local population and harming local democracy/accountability/decision making. It is amazing how common when the national Govt steps in (often on a minor matter), it is for thinly veiled political reasons (again I'm looking at Labour and Tories for this).

A number of Councils have looked at a referendum to increase Council Tax over the limit as they were allowed to but the testing proved it was a waste of money (it isn't a cheap exercise for a Council having to make savings). The testing from the ones I remember suggested it wouldn't succeed but people still expected the same services. So while you may get it, many don't as it has been looked at over many years in articles I've read on the subject.

My personal preference, (and I discussed it privately with some Councillors) would be for a referendum on the services provided which would be split into 3:

- Statutory (and this is quite a long list)
- Necessary but not statutory
- Desirable

But in reality Councils are run by politicians (Local Councillors are a whole other discussion) and it would be a very brave one to go for this solution unless desperation takes over.

I take it you have never heard of council tax capping and the need for local referenda if a council want to increase tax above the cap.

Really? How many non-black West Indians are knocking on the door of their test team?
The English cricket team is at the moment getting plaudits from the West Indian players and officials for being inclusive - do you think they themselves wouldn't pick an excellent player on the basis of the colour of their skin?

The white population of Jamaica is 0.4 of 1 percent
About 12000 -smaller than Carterton

The white population of Jamaica is 0.4 of 1 percent
About 12000 -smaller than Carterton
The West Indies don't draw players only from Jamaica, although the percentage would be similar across the carribean I'd presume.

Back
Top Bottom