General Best place to live in Oxfordshire?

I’d go with that advice and have never bought new.
i used to be in banking and found homebuyers reports had good get out clause. Full structural reports often took around 3 hours but cost £1000 upwards. They also referred to every minor detail, squeaking doors and screws not tightened up on light switches.
The most common report was a valuation, and often the valuer didn’t even enter the property. So long as the lender is covered that’s all they’re bothered about

Yep when I remortgaged on to another deal with a different lender a couple of years ago they done an online valuation not even a drive by. Surveys are not worth the paper their written on, same as the nhbc warranty. If you want new. Buy an old house and renovate it, you will add value to it where new builds lose value.

I know it's not related to house buying i live in headington,a serious life threatening illness made me extremely grateful for the close proximity of the Churchill, speaking to other patients who had difficult long car trips to get there would make me twice about moving to a rural environment where you are totally dependant on a car

Not being funny manorlounger but after reading this thread I’m wondering why you want a new build?
my house is 400 years old, I figured if it’s still standing and hasn’t got any nasty cracks it’s not going to.
I had to go to a new housing estate in Faringdon yesterday, all the houses looked the same, everyone could see in everyone elses windows, cars everywhere, nothing appealing at all.
There is, without doubt, something in what you say but, we have all of that on our list of what makes the right property. Buying old and renovating or just slapping a coat of paint on is fine but, the property still has to be found. Show me an old property that doesn't cost a fortune and can still be renovated/altered without the use of another fortune and fine, we'll give it due consideration. Otherwise, we are looking at decent quality new build without the neighbours windows looking into ours, not all the houses look the same and the location is within walking distance of amenities such as a pub, shop, doctor, dentist etc. It ain't easy! Have you considered how much your property is worth? I'd always had a vision of beams and wood fires with character and the like, when it came to finding that dream I soon realised that I needed a lot more money.

There is, without doubt, something in what you say but, we have all of that on our list of what makes the right property. Buying old and renovating or just slapping a coat of paint on is fine but, the property still has to be found. Show me an old property that doesn't cost a fortune and can still be renovated/altered without the use of another fortune and fine, we'll give it due consideration. Otherwise, we are looking at decent quality new build without the neighbours windows looking into ours, not all the houses look the same and the location is within walking distance of amenities such as a pub, shop, doctor, dentist etc. It ain't easy! Have you considered how much your property is worth? I'd always had a vision of beams and wood fires with character and the like, when it came to finding that dream I soon realised that I needed a lot more money.
Ours is a renovation project but we are living in it while we do it up, it’s unique so I don’t really know what it’s worth there’s nothing around to compere it with, but it has got bags of character.

Ours is a renovation project but we are living in it while we do it up, it’s unique so I don’t really know what it’s worth there’s nothing around to compere it with, but it has got bags of character.
Lucky man! I don't think Mrs Lounger would go along with a renovation style, come to that, I don't think I would either! Given our, erm, history with builders, decorators etc. I don't think either of us could take the stress.
Would like to see pictures of what you are doing sometime, genuinely impressed with those who can cope with all the work required.

We’ve got a house in Witney that we renovated, we used to go over there after work every day and at the weekends to do the work, that was hard, so this doesn’t seem so bad.

How about Milton Under Wychwood? Known as a village but with rail links to Oxford, one pub, and one shop?

So, we are getting closer to a decision and now need to get a conveyancing solicitor. Would prefer one in the Abingdon/Oxford area who has experience of new build properties - anyone got any suggestions? Been a few years since I sold my last place in Oxford and I can't remember who I used at that time.
The builders want us to use one of their "recommended" solicitors with experience of the site in question - I'll bet they do! We would rather have someone who will act for us but, they need to be experienced in new build and all the pitfalls that can come with a new house.

So, we are getting closer to a decision and now need to get a conveyancing solicitor. Would prefer one in the Abingdon/Oxford area who has experience of new build properties - anyone got any suggestions? Been a few years since I sold my last place in Oxford and I can't remember who I used at that time.
The builders want us to use one of their "recommended" solicitors with experience of the site in question - I'll bet they do! We would rather have someone who will act for us but, they need to be experienced in new build and all the pitfalls that can come with a new house.

Withy King solicitors I used last time I moved. Can't recommend one for new builds though. Just make sure you get a full survey done before completion, house builders might drag their feet at this.

Withy King solicitors I used last time I moved. Can't recommend one for new builds though. Just make sure you get a full survey done before completion, house builders might drag their feet at this.
Yup, survey and professional snagging list after moving in!
We're at the delicate stage of murmuring "deal" to the sales staff. You have to practically have bought the property before they will even consider anything. Good job Mrs Lounger has more patience than I. Was going to drag the salesman over his desk yesterday and read him his fortune.

Yup, survey and professional snagging list after moving in!
We're at the delicate stage of murmuring "deal" to the sales staff. You have to practically have bought the property before they will even consider anything. Good job Mrs Lounger has more patience than I. Was going to drag the salesman over his desk yesterday and read him his fortune.

Yes this is the problem with new builds. They want you to put down a deposit and commit to buy, that's how they get away with the shoddy work and not finishing off the site. Some of the new builds I've been in are lovely and well designed, but these are valued over 500k. I wouldn't touch any new builds that start at 300k in Oxfordshire.

We used Caroline at Pennington Manches. Do not use one of their panel. We found that the developer's solicitor was always the one holding things up (despite them wanting to meet their deadlines!!!).

Where are you looking to move to ML?

Where are you looking to move to ML?
Well, it's not certain as yet - got to get the right deal and sort the extras etc but, we're looking at a place in Drayton Village.
Pushing our budget to the limit, hence the not 100% at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom